Soc 101 WHY DO YOU THINK OTHERS DON'T PREPARE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WHY DO YOU THINK OTHERS DON'T PREPARE?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

jgarst

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    Tipton
    I think alot of people just dont worry about what might happen. Others i think are too concerned with their wants more then their possible needs. This is another one that needs an all of the above.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    There are two reasons that I can think of.
    1. Most do not know the history of natural disasters, poor government, and social or economic collapse, and the consequences thereof. Sure, they know of the Great Depression, but just in name, since there aren't many today that lived in it. Maybe shortsightedness is what I am looking for here.

2. Most have not lived outside of the U.S., and seen the ugly parts of the world where acquiring the basics needed to live is a struggle for the population. I have, so I am insuring that we will not struggle as greatly in the event of an episode that has serious consequences. I don't mind having nothing as long as we have the basics covered until our self-suffiency level rises.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think your tag line says it all pinshooter...Those who fail to remember the past are DOOMED to repeat it. We have become too content/complacent to realize how close to the edge things are...and they don't care to see what has happened in the past (let alone what is happening right now in Europe!)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would say that the biggest reason is that most people are psychologically incapable of dealing with the idea of a SHTF situation and they respond to any indication that it is coming with a proportionately sized measure of denial.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The problem is ... those who do prepare will be targets of those who did not. I know many people imagine fending off their stores with their weapons... but non-preppers will have guns too and they will be in larger number. It's not going to be pretty.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The problem is ... those who do prepare will be targets of those who did not. I know many people imagine fending off their stores with their weapons... but non-preppers will have guns too and they will be in larger number. It's not going to be pretty.

Absolutely right. Weapons do not guarantee a favorable outcome, they just even the odds.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Too much of an "it'll never happen to me" attitude out there for some people married with a lifestyle of never having seen any life threatening hard times to have the good sense to think ahead and prep for the unknown.

ghettogun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Apathy

People don't like to think about bad stuff happening to them so they put their heads in the sand.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Need an "other"

Besides lack of funds, there's always the doubting wife who thinks I'm crazy, we don't need that, and a jillion other reasons to not do it.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Not my view, but what about some who just focus on training with ARs and Auto-SGs to take from others (perhaps even preppers), if the need arises? :dunno:

I hope not, but a possibility. :rolleyes:

Or would this be considered being prepared? ;)

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    "It'll never happen to me,"
    "if it does, the government will take care of me," and
    "I don't care as long as I get to watch the family guy and american idol. (the oh! shiny!)"

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    People still think the government will rescue them...even after the failures of New Orleans
    and Louisiana during Katrina. The feds were there with 100,000 people in three days
    But the local government completely dropped the ball. To this day "W" gets blamed
    When the local government failed to use it's own plan and resources . Every other
    Locatity has done for themselves first and called for help later. The naritive of Katrina
    Has altered the expectations of the public so now they think Washington is the first
    And last responder. Why prepare for anything (sickness,retirement,disaster)
    When you can alwayscall your Uncle Sam?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Too many people think that "the past" is just the last 100 years. The explosive growth of industry and technology in that period has created a new world. If you start thinking about the thousands of years wherein people lived a life where the food they ate wasn't delivered to their fat asses while they scooted around in hover chairs on a spaceship... Oops, lost my train of thought.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    When I was working maintenance at a factory I over heard a line worker say to another worker that she was so glad it was payday and the first thing she was going to do was buy a case of beer after cashing the check. Not 2 minutes later the same girl was complaining about having to walk to work today because she didn't have money for gas.

Top Bottom