• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As many do, you've stocked ramen. Now what? Boil water, add noodles, stir, eat. That's going to get real old, real fast. Here's what you need ahead of time. Matt has recipes for ramen. Loads of recipes, well beyond the basics. These will make the end of the world somewhat less boring.

The Official Ramen Homepage

As for all those other supplies. Better get some varieties of recipes for them, too.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    how long can one of those packages be stored for?

and then safely eaten, of course.
    Ramen noodles in the packages don't store well. Due to their oil content, they will go rancid. Doesn't matter how you store them, they're limited. If you decide to use regular noodles, instead of ramen you'll have a life span similar to all other pastas.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    This explains a lot! :laugh:

"Someone sent me this article from MIT about how the 3d representation of the human genome ends up looking like uncooked ramen. "

“It turns out actually that the fractal globule pretty deeply resembles the model of uncooked ramen noodles,” he said. “You can contrast this with the classic polymer structure, which is the arrangement that the noodles take once you’ve cooked them.”

thumb-sm-lieberman-3.jpg

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Go to walmart and buy some Asian spices and sauces, mix with beef ramen, and enjoy a meal fit for a king. When I was living in the dorms still I would wager a guess that Ramen constituted about 25% of my diet.

Or if your to cheap for that, go to taco bell once a week and load up on the fire sauce, add 1-2 packets per beef ramen, stir and enjoy. I have found that chicken doesn't taste quite right with to much added sauce. However I never tried the others so its hard to say how they would accept the extra flavoring.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'd forgotten all about "meals by Ramen"...when I had my first apartment, I probably had more stocked up than all you preppers do now...combined! LOL

One thing was to cook/drain the noodles, toss some oil in a wok...add some peas/corn/onions/carrots (WHATEVER), and toss the noodles and seasoning in. Top it off with garlic teriyaki or whatever you like best. Pretty decent stirfry stuff.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Go to walmart and buy some Asian spices and sauces, mix with beef ramen, and enjoy a meal fit for a king. When I was living in the dorms still I would wager a guess that Ramen constituted about 25% of my diet.

Or if your to cheap for that, go to taco bell once a week and load up on the fire sauce, add 1-2 packets per beef ramen, stir and enjoy. I have found that chicken doesn't taste quite right with to much added sauce. However I never tried the others so its hard to say how they would accept the extra flavoring.
    Matt's recipes, (submitted from all over the place) do that and more. It's like a huge online ramen cookbook! Some of the recipes are even jail house recipes. Those convicts can get creative.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    MMMM Ramen, MRE cheese and MRE pork patty, dehydrated.....food fit for a GI king.
    The key is just the right amount of water to cook the noodles (and reydrate the pork) to make more of a casserole, not soup.
    and don't break up the noodles! that causes the flavor to leak out.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i just want to comment there is whole web pages dedicated to ramen noodles.

the consensus is that ramen suggest eating them with in six months, but most ppl had no problem eating them in 3-10 years after the expiration date. ramen also said they say six months cause the can become a bit stale and taste stale. nothing was mentioned about them going bad. my buddy has some about 6 years old he is gonna eat tonight just to verify but 100's of people eat them past expiration with no problems. stock up on them and enjoy all the different stuff you can make with them. i usually keep 3 cases in the house lol

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    The good thing about Ramen is that everyone loves it and if you are worried about the expiration date, just rotate it into the kitchen to be eaten and buy some more!

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus

I do this with other soups too.

I add the Taco Bell Fire sauce to the Healthy choice chicken noodle soups so that they actually have some flavor. Its been catching on at work now that people see me do it. They try it, and, WOW, the soup is bearable then.

Great tip!

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    Ramen tastes good, but is typically packed with MSG...

Would only eat it again if my life depended on it.

It is my opinion that most people just think MSG is bad for you when they havent really looked into it. Most people just hear what everyone else is saying, ie global warming.

I would encourage people to do a little more research about MSG.

The Glutamate Association

Please feel free to shoot back with some other research showing the bad too, be happy to read that too.

Top Bottom