• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    A young lady I know was bitten by a Copperhead several weeks ago. Has anyone else been bitten by a poisonous snake in Indiana recently? Want to share your story with us?

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We used to shoot copperheads with our BB/pellet guns when I was a kid. Water moccasins too!
    I know they are(were) in Indiana, but I've not heard of anyone getting bit.

Are they protected? (copperheads)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    There used to be a lot of snake bites during the ABATE rally down here. I haven't heard much about it the last couple years. May be better since they have a permenant grounds now.

I don't know if they are protected or not, I don't think so but I never kill 'em. I hate mice, chipmunks, and vermin worse than snakes. Found about a 3 foot long snake skin in the garage yesterday where a black snake scraped one off on the shelf over my work bench.

When they are begining to shed is when they are most likely to bite because they can't see very well through the cloudy skin.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Copperheads themselves are not "protected" that I know of. In the young ladies case , she was in a "Nature Preserve". She said this means you don't kill anything there.Timber Rattlesnakes are protected, I've read.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Ive never been bitten by a poisonous snake.
    90% of the claims you hear about folks seeing copperheads or other poisonous snakes in IN are cases of misidentity.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ive never been bitten by a poisonous snake.
    90% of the claims you hear about folks seeing copperheads or other poisonous snakes in IN are cases of misidentity.

They always think a water snake is a deadly copperhead, lol.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Yes she did,received anti-venom, was off work more than a week. When she came back she limped badly. Foot too swollen for a reguler shoe. By Thursday she was walking better.She told me she since has had dreams about,waking up in a jolt.The bite "stung" real bad and her leg went numb.

Hope she does OK, My uncle and aunt had a 150 acres down by Spencer back in the 1960's and one of the first things they told us kids was if we thought we had been bitten by a snake to tell them immediately. The water moccasins seemed to be the worst, they're come after you.
    It's a wonder one of us didn't end up bitten, we were always around the lake or stream never looking where we were going.

:ingo:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was always told water moccasin/cottonmouths had nasty dispositions and would actually attack, not just defend themselves and slither off somewhere to hide. Copperheads, not so much. I've never been bitten, but I wonder as to the "nature preserve" and "no killing" rule; do they truly mean you can't defend yourself there?

:hijack:
    Hmm... I guess that would make schools and gov't buildings "criminal preserves", wouldn't it?

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled INGO, already in progress.

Blessings,
    Bill

RJF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    i would have to say that a snake trying to bite me wouldnt be alive to try to bite someone else

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    My grandson was running in a cross country meet in the Evansville area two years ago and was bit by a copperhead. They had a really hard time finding a hospital with anti-venom med and after getting guidance by phone from a professional snake milker ended up in Indy for treatment. The foot swelled huge, turned black, couldn't walk on it for several days and was generally pretty nasty.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom