• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This is an odd question, but I just bought a Mossberg 500 and great condition but it was sitting in a house that has been smoked in. I didnt think a gun would take on the smell of smoke, but it did. So my question is how if it is possible do I get the smell out. The smell is just in the wood. The metal has a slight odor, but it's not really smokey and I think some oil will do the trick. The wood stocks are my main concern. Thanks for your advice. Anything will help.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My all-plastic and metal AR15 came from a certain smoke-filled shop that you probably know. It reeked for weeks. Cleaning it thoroughly wasn't enough, but also storing it in a clean case with a baking powder odor absorber did the trick.

ETA: It's also the last firearm I ever bought from them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Save your coffee grounds and put the stuff in a trash bag for a day or so and it'll take out all the smell.
    I've got a buddy in Fire Restoration that showed me that trick years ago. It works.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I hate being around smokers for that reason, or in smoker's cars or homes.
    Maybe sand and refinish the stock, that may do the trick.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    For the short term you could try some lemon oil wood polish like Pledge to cover the smell. Or you could overpower the smoke smell by cleaning the bore with Hoppe's. I love the smell of that stuff.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I agree with Scutter. Baking soda will usually do the trick.

And the smell of smoke in a house or car is very unpleaseant. I just don't understand why smoker's don't notice when they get in their car or house. I learned long ago. Unfortunately I know I carry the smell in my clothes. But, it will come out. Patience and air along with some above mentioned remedies.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I used to buy a lot of stuff from a surplus store in Mt. Washington KY. The old guy smoked some NASTY smelling cigars, and it was a nightmare trying to get that smell out of anything that came from there. Try the coffee ground thing mentioned above, it works!:yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I grew up in a house and cars filled to overflowing with cigarette smoke. It was impossible to get away. I've had my fill, thanks.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    as a former smoker i can tell you, yes smokes do smell the stink, but most smoker only smell it when they have been with out for a while. wake up in the morning and you smell it until you light up your morning cig.......then no more smell......as for getting rid of the stink the only i found to ever WORK was a inon air cleaner. cleaning companys us them in house after a fire to remove smoke smell. you can rent them from most renral stores for about $15 a day

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had thought about lemon scented polish and also baking soda. I really like the coffee grounds idea though. My wife and my lungs would hate me if I started smoking myself so I think I will skip that one. So I will have to give a few of these a try and see what happens. I will try and remember to get back with what worked.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Good Luck! The dryer sheet thought had a chance in my book. I always leave a couple of dryer sheets in my suitcase. Try putting them on the stock tight with rubberbands.

Top Bottom