• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Finally time to ditch my flip phone. I know, we live on the cutting edge around here. I am currently with Sprint but I think I will probably switch providers. I would like to have a phone that has a good data plan and also a decent camera. I really don't talk or text very much but sometimes those things change. Anyway, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My brother and his family are on Verizon. Not sure about my daughter but I think she is also.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    iPhone is a no brainer if you want something "that just works". They arent cheap, but they work well for most people.

Avoid any Android that costs less than $150. Ive seen too many junk phones that are underpowered and frustrating. Motorola makes some good ones, and you cant go wrong with a Samsung Galaxy.

Robert8252

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I think Apple is turning into a horrible company..... That said, I still think the iphone is a great phone and one of the best on the market. Easy to use, reliable, and more. I personally have a galaxy s4 from work but my family all use iPhones. I like my android but like the iPhone media player much better. Android has much better screens and faster processors but it's a win/lose with either. Rumor has it the next Galaxy and iPhone are not too far away.

As far as carrier, it depends. I see you're in Monticello, I go to indiana beach every few years on my way back to indy from michigan. I know att is good there, sprint is horrible, and Verizon has been hit and miss with me but that was over 6 years ago. All carriers have a dead spot just north of Lafeyette on 65n and will all be hit and miss in the boon docks. Just my experience, verizon somehow always finds a signal in the middle of absolute nowhere when att can't but att has been more reliable on a daily basis.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Just as info, Sprint changed the way they do their plans. You now pay a base price of $55 for unlimited talk and text, and then add a data plan for an extra charge. You also have to pay for your phone monthly rather than them giving you a credit for a free one when you sign a contract. I was a little bummed about that, but I'm too lazy to switch carriers.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and as for carriers, my wife uses Straight Talk. Unlimted everything, no contract, month to month for $50. No complaints.

Well, one gotcha is since there is no contract lock-in, they dont subsidize the phones. If you want an iPhone you gotta pony up like $500 because you are paying for it all up front instead of paying the carrier back on an overpriced bill. But the nice thing is all of the phones are unlocked, so if you decide you want to move to a different carrier your phone isnt locked to that carrier. If you have an unlocked smart phone already, you can buy a new SIM card from them for under $15 and use the phone you have.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Samsung Galaxy S4 or S4 Active (waterproof).

Great hardware, great software. I've had a lot of android phones and this one blows the rest away. The waterproof one gives me some peace of mind, given my wife's track record at destroying phones.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good point. and the S3 is also good, just one version older (and a bit smaller). But still an excellent phone if you dont want to pay for a S4.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am an old guy with bad eyes. I have very little knowledge regarding smart phones and plans. I want to be able to use the data function, text and call without having to sell a kidney if possible.

mdwildcat04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    E-Ville
    The wife and I moved our Galaxy S3s from sprint to Ting. Its not unlimited, but we didn't change our usage, and went from paying sprint $140 a month to around $50 to $80 with ting. Phones are not subsidized, but you can bring almost any sprint phone over, and no contracts. Support is awesome, call and you get a human, an I have e-mailed support and received a resolution in an hour or two.

If you sign up with this link, I get credit against my phone bill.
    https://z47dag1k6k3.ting.com/

We got our phones from Gazelle (on ebay). They were listed as being in "good" condition with some scratches. The phones we got were in far better shape then that.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Wife and I went to BoostMobile (Sprint pre-paid) about 3 years ago now. You buy your phone full price, and your plan starts out at $55 a month. After 6 months on time payments, your bill drops to $50. Every 6 months, another $5 off down to $40 after 18 months. Don't like your phone at any point during that time, no problem, upgrade whenever you want, doesn't affect your shrinkage. Miss a payment, you don't lose any shrinkage or months earned towards your next drop. 2 Galaxy S3's with unlimited talk/text/web (2.5GB of 4G) for $80/mo.

No matter who you go with, check coverage maps of service before you decide. Not only at home but where you frequent most.

Cell Phone Service & Coverage Map - Boost Mobile Prepaid Coverage | Boost Mobile

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I just switched to T-Mobile. I was going to go with Straight Talk but I discovered T-Mobile gives a discount because of my employer, which made it $5/month cheaper than Straight Talk for identical services for 2 phones. If you work for a larger employer make sure to ask around if they've negotiated discounts with any carriers.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just as info, Sprint changed the way they do their plans. You now pay a base price of $55 for unlimited talk and text, and then add a data plan for an extra charge. You also have to pay for your phone monthly rather than them giving you a credit for a free one when you sign a contract. I was a little bummed about that, but I'm too lazy to switch carriers.
    I just purchased a refurbed iPhone 4s for Mr88GT for nothing with the re-upping of his phone line's contract. :dunno:

Also, they grandfather the plans. So even if your plan no longer exists at contract re-up, you don't have to change. But if you change it at all, then you are limited to what they currently have available and can't ever go back.

OP, I have used both the android and iOS. The iOS is a far better system for intuitiveness IMO. I have converted all of my devices to iOS models because of this. Using android first may not be all that bad. My first smart phone was an android, and while the phone model itself sucked, the 'driod operating system didn't seem all that bad. Then I got an iPad. Wow. Then I got an iPhone. My boys got android tablets for Christmas and I HATED having to navigate through trying to find what I needed to download the games, etc. Hell, I had to download an app to download apps. WTF!!!! With the iPhone it's just a quick tap of iTunes and I'm in the app store and ready to download. Easy peasy. The iPhone camera is pretty good (can't say the same for the iPad2 camera). And there are a lot of really cool apps (for free too!) as well. Just be sure to get one with enough gig memory because it will fill up fast. Memory is like income: you will use what you have.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I just purchased a refurbed iPhone 4s for Mr88GT for nothing with the re-upping of his phone line's contract. :dunno:

Also, they grandfather the plans. So even if your plan no longer exists at contract re-up, you don't have to change. But if you change it at all, then you are limited to what they currently have available and can't ever go back.

Apparently I was lied to. I like the new iPhone I got though, so I'll deal with it.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    What I have probably doesn't appeal to many people, but it works for my purposes.

Google Nexus 4 on T-mobile with $30 Unlimited Data/Text w/ 100 minutes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've considered switching my (seldom used, but necessary to keep) home phone number over to an ATT go phone. Anyone familiar with this?

Top Bottom