Smart locks on a home, are they any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I used to work for the parent company that makes Schlage, so I'm a little biased towards that brand, but I got my first electronic keyless lock in 2013 and was hooked. No apps for me, just the ability to punch in a code. It's nice not having to bring keys when I walk the dog or take the kids to the neighborhood park. Kids each have their own code and I have mine.

I'll never go back to a regular keyed lock again.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I doubt it. Most hackers are not local. A brick through a window hidden by a shrubbery or privacy fence is far more likely than either of the tinfoil hatters here.
    You think someone would have to BE a real hacker to get an app that could unlock doors?

Sure a rock is easier, but also would bring a lot more attention.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You think someone would have to BE a real hacker to get an app that could unlock doors?

Sure a rock is easier, but also would bring a lot more attention.
    You are overestimating. There are FAR more crackheads or meth heads in our AO that know how to operate a prehistoric impact tool than a lockpick set or script kiddie app.

EDIT: Hell, most car thefts are due to idiots warming them up, not guys snatching high end trucks with fake fobs.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I used to work for the parent company that makes Schlage, so I'm a little biased towards that brand, but I got my first electronic keyless lock in 2013 and was hooked. No apps for me, just the ability to punch in a code. It's nice not having to bring keys when I walk the dog or take the kids to the neighborhood park. Kids each have their own code and I have mine.

I'll never go back to a regular keyed lock again.
    Any particular model you recommend? Only asking because on her last trip here mil decided to make her own key! So we will be changing out our front entry lock.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Any particular model you recommend? Only asking because on her last trip here mil decided to make her own key! So we will be changing out our front entry lock.
    dont give her a key, but instead give her a code. Delete the code after she leaves. LOL
    Then blame that POS lock you bought for not letting her code work when she returns unexpectedly. :):

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    No lock is really safe. Just time delay.

But not for this man

He has helped me with the combo locks that realtors use. Had about a dozen of them that weren't opened. Cleared them all and now they are so easy to defeat it almost gets boring... almost.

Really made a couple realtors happy when I cleared some for them. They still use the manual units on repos and low end properties.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    dont give her a key, but instead give her a code. Delete the code after she leaves. LOL
    Then blame that POS lock you bought for not letting her code work when she returns unexpectedly. :):
    Whole issue is that she took it upon herself to go to Lowes and have a key made. To put it nicely I was not happy about her little Sharon will do what she wants and that is how it’s going to be.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Have a locksmith rekey the lock.

Leave someone at home, take the lock to the locksmith and save a service call fee.
    We have been wanting to upgrade anyway it’s just the principle. Return on investment for rekeying an inexpensive lock would not be worth it.

Honestly we just have a lock on the door for liability reasons. Once someone gets over the locked gate at the drive then try’s to defeat the front door lock, well if they are inside after deciding that its a good idea to break into someplace with a 150 pounds of 4 legged you don’t belong here it’s all on them.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I use several style locks at Work. The old school card readers work well but every once in a while I have to reboot the software to allow access. It is a bit different than a normal home as these have 24 hour ups and generator backup power. The locks and readers work great the doors in the large building seem to move with weather causing failure to close or open. All hard wired and thousands of opens and closes per service call we use the same devices on gates and Ballard openings.

we are using so new wireless card access in less secure areas and so far they have been rock solid and can use RFID so iPhones and other phones would open the doors. We did not implement that feature but is works well and I can see it being very effective in a family environment as everyone seems to have a phone on them at all times. Get within 3-4 feet of the device the door unlocks. Carry in the groceries and walk up unlocked or open door. Most homes do not have door openers and closer installed. tat is something I can believe has not be adopted in some of the higher dollar homes yet. A few conference rooms now have autoshade for the windows and use sound masking so no one can hear outside the room. these rooms are setup like a smart home. Auto lighting controls

i think if you can attach awifi door lock to a very secure WiFi network you would be fine if your IT SKILL LEVEL is above average or your kids is. August wYSE AND OTHERS MAKE SOME GREAT OPTIONS. Once again this all depends on how much you want to embrace the time to set it up. A new phone in the family would require the old one to be removed and the new one added to the door.

Top Bottom