• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am looking at renting a Uhaul enclosed trailer to take to SC on our vacation. On a whim I said I had a Smart car, gave it year and model info and then "show trailers you can tow".

It would let me rent a 6x12 enclosed trailer! I could drive one smart car and have a spare in the trailer in case anything happened.

Is this a programming error at Uhaul or are Smart Cars truly little bundles of power?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would take a wild guess if you had to try to stop a loaded trailer of that size you would be unable to. I would not do it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    For the record I do not own a smart car, just added it in their form to see.

If I had $20k to spend it would be an automatic, but no tires :)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    No, you got it mixed up. You can fit a Smart Car IN one of those but you need a real car to haul it :D

Funniest thing I ever saw was a new Beetle trailering a monster Goldwing. The 'wing and trailer were bigger than the Beetle and probably had more horsepower.

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC

Funniest thing I ever saw was a new Beetle trailering a monster Goldwing. The 'wing and trailer were bigger than the Beetle and probably had more horsepower.

Wife's 2008 New Beetle Convertible 2.5l - 150hp/168ft-lb
    20xx 1800 Honda Goldwing - 118hp/125ft-lb (~800lb curb weight)

Funny looking yes, but completely do-able :)

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My sister has a 2012 Explorer and she tried to rent a trailer from uhaul, not even an enclosed trailer. They would not rent it to her due to her owning an explorer. Nevermind the fact that hers is a brand new design and nothing even remotely close to the older explorers that had rollover issues.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    My sister has a 2012 Explorer and she tried to rent a trailer from uhaul, not even an enclosed trailer. They would not rent it to her due to her owning an explorer. Nevermind the fact that hers is a brand new design and nothing even remotely close to the older explorers that had rollover issues.

Weird.. A buddy of mine got a Explorer and Uhaul trailer issued to him by his employer (CAT) to move his most personal belongings and motorcycle to GA from IN last year. They got him set up with a moving company for most his stuff, but they said he could (or maybe needed to) move is two wheel-torque monster.

Horse-Power

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    You can get a hitch set up for a smart car, our business actually uses one with a trailer for deliverys.

Theoretically you can haul up to something like 1200 extra pounds but we found it to be safe at about half that.

I will get some pictures, I think it may be off getting a vinyl wrap though.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Made the mistake of pulling too big of a boat with a CJ5 once. It had a built up 401 V8, so there was plenty of power. Between the short wheel base and the lack of chassis weight, the unit allmost killed us. We had to make a firm (not panic) stop at about 60mph. The next thing I knew we were jack knifed in the median and the cuddy cabin starboard window was even with my face. Totalled the jeep and the boat. The roll bar bent pretty bad but stayed in place long enough to save our lives. I would have to belive that the little square wheel base of a smart car would be as directionally unstable as the CJ5 if the trailer would fishtail at all.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am looking at renting a Uhaul enclosed trailer to take to SC on our vacation. On a whim I said I had a Smart car, gave it year and model info and then "show trailers you can tow".

It would let me rent a 6x12 enclosed trailer! I could drive one smart car and have a spare in the trailer in case anything happened.

Is this a programming error at Uhaul or are Smart Cars truly little bundles of power?

You know Arnold's shoe is bigger then that car... Haha

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You can get a hitch set up for a smart car, our business actually uses one with a trailer for deliverys.

Theoretically you can haul up to something like 1200 extra pounds but we found it to be safe at about half that.

I will get some pictures, I think it may be off getting a vinyl wrap though.

You know when they quote you 1200 pounds (probably only 1000), that's the tow weight. You have to deduct the weight of the trailer, and any car passengers.
    One passenger, and the trailer weight, takes you down probably less than 500 pounds.

Top Bottom