• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But honestly the door is flimsy. I can see between the two doors and with a little pressure a half inch gap opens up. Sad. Guess i should have gone wooden instead of metal? I assumed metal would be stronger

There are different levels of flimsy, but all windows and doors are flimsy until properly installed. They have very little structural integrity when they are free or just set in the rough opening. You wouldn't want them rigid, as you have to be able to flex them to get them true'd up once they are set. Vinyl is generally the weakest, wood and metal being more betterer.

It's been about 20 years since I did any framing, but back then larger windows had to be carried in a certain orientation or they could break just from their own weight.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The installer came back yesterday and put the handle on. I found the alarm system component on my back deck just laying there. They cut the wires, pulled it from the frame and didn't say anything to me about it, just left it on the ground.

He said he thinks the door is too short. He said would be a gap at top or bottom so he put that trim piece in the bottom. He planned to swap out the sash Monday so the blinds go the correct way. But honestly the door is flimsy. I can see between the two doors and with a little pressure a half inch gap opens up. Sad. Guess i should have gone wooden instead of metal? I assumed metal would be stronger
    Seems to be a lot of red flags on this doc.
    If you're already not satisfied with the product/service, then there is very little chance you will be happy with it in the future.
    The time to get it taken care of is now. It sounds like pretty crappy service to be honest.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This would have pissed me off big time.
    I'd have threatened small claims court at the very least at that point. And I would be all over Yelp, Google reviews and anywhere else I could put out the word about that company. I wouldn't give them another dime, and I would probably try and get any money that I'd given them back. It's ridiculous.

Junebug900

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    indianapolis
    I’ve installed several exterior doors in the past. Never a sliding door. However, at first glance I’d say it’s just a crappy install. The frame isn’t completely square and that’s why you’re most likely dealing with gap issues with the doors themselves. It’s hard to tell from the photos. But, anytime I have a door “closing or alignment issue it because it’s not in square. As for the exterior gaps…. At the bottom of the door I would mix up mortar, that matches the brick mortar, and fill the gap at the bottom of the door. The gap isn’t that severe, and as long as the bottom or the door casing is supported correctly, the mortar wouldn’t want to break out over time from the bottom of the door flexing. As far as the rest of the gaps, I’m surprised it didn’t come with the trim on it, like the old door. Usually, if the door is ordered correctly, it would come with the trim on it. A d it could be painted. If you look at any exterior door, they almost always come with the exterior trim on them. You pull the old door out and slide the new one in until it hits the outside of the house. T try hen you just make sure you center it up where it needs to be, shim it, and screw it in.
    It looks like the door that was ordered was a replacement for a vinyl sided home that will have plastic trim and J-channel around it.
    IMO, who ever, measured, and ordered the door really screwed up. Yes, the doors will be the same size. But the total opening should have been taken into account to ensure the proper door was ordered. If a door wasn’t available with the trim then the trim kit should have been ordered and installed with the door. You can buy the trim kits for the door.

I’m sorry the reply is so long. I hope it helps though. If anything, I at least provided you enough information to ask questions that should be asked. I would do you due diligence and do some research on line before you meet with the contractor. That way you’re armed and ready with the right questions and pics for comparison. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The installer came back yesterday and put the handle on. I found the alarm system component on my back deck just laying there. They cut the wires, pulled it from the frame and didn't say anything to me about it, just left it on the ground.

He said he thinks the door is too short. He said would be a gap at top or bottom so he put that trim piece in the bottom. He planned to swap out the sash Monday so the blinds go the correct way. But honestly the door is flimsy. I can see between the two doors and with a little pressure a half inch gap opens up. Sad. Guess i should have gone wooden instead of metal? I assumed metal would be stronger
    Is this door all vinyl? I really doubt the door is the wrong height. Can't imagine that being anything other than a standard height, unless it is a very old house, which I don't think yours is. I think the problem is they ordered a replacement door, instead of new construction. In that application, I think new construction is best, that way you have a nailing flange and do not have to secure it by screwing thru the frame. If I were installing that door, the bottom would not be built up, I would rather build down the top header myself. They could have put hydraulic cement between your brick and house....then a piece of metal allowing a lip out on brick with sealant under that lip, installed door...nailed in flange and put weather tape and trimmed it, caulk and paint trim.

Does the door have a name brand like Larson, Pella or Anderson or is it a door made for the company you hired, like Window World, Bee or one of them companies? I sure hope this is not a Bee door.....

Something else. Usually when we put replacement vinyl windows in they give us an adjustable sill for the top. You stuff it full of insulation then it expands. Did you happen to see a 5 or 6 foot long piece of vinyl shaped like this I____I

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    At the very least I would want that bottom wrapped and flashed before install of the door, otherwise you will be fighting water issues from now on.
    Size added to emphasize how important this is. Accept nothing less than a rip/flash/reinstall. Otherwise you risk water issues.

Its probably a 10 minute job to pull it out.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What's the outcome?
    well, the glass company basically said the problem was the installer who ordered the wrong door. But they gave us a door several inches smaller than the hole we had which is frustrating. Not really sure what the role of the glass company is other than sales I guess?

The installer boss said their warehouse manager had substance abuse issues and was spiraling down when we placed our order. he replicated our order with someone else's rather than input the correct stuff for ours. When it arrived it was the same as on their order form so they went and installed it. The guy who came to the house saw it wasn't right for the right/left opening and did what he could to fix it.

I called the glass company and they said we can either keep the door as it is or have them swap out for a larger door. If we did a larger door, then it couldn't have the blinds in the glass.

I offered a third option, have someone else sell me the door we thought we ordered from them. Ultimately I think she was happy to wash her hands of the whole thing. They wrote me a check for what we paid so far and now I have a door missing blinds on one part and no trim on the outside, along with a missing piece on the inside.

We had a quote from Pella several years ago and I called them. They are getting us a wooden door with aluminum wrap, 2.5" taller and half an inch wider than current door. Problem is install date is March 9th. They suggested I use duct tape along edge of door frame to the brick for air/wind control until the new door arrives.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    well, the glass company basically said the problem was the installer who ordered the wrong door. But they gave us a door several inches smaller than the hole we had which is frustrating. Not really sure what the role of the glass company is other than sales I guess?

The installer boss said their warehouse manager had substance abuse issues and was spiraling down when we placed our order. he replicated our order with someone else's rather than input the correct stuff for ours. When it arrived it was the same as on their order form so they went and installed it. The guy who came to the house saw it wasn't right for the right/left opening and did what he could to fix it.

I called the glass company and they said we can either keep the door as it is or have them swap out for a larger door. If we did a larger door, then it couldn't have the blinds in the glass.

I offered a third option, have someone else sell me the door we thought we ordered from them. Ultimately I think she was happy to wash her hands of the whole thing. They wrote me a check for what we paid so far and now I have a door missing blinds on one part and no trim on the outside, along with a missing piece on the inside.

We had a quote from Pella several years ago and I called them. They are getting us a wooden door with aluminum wrap, 2.5" taller and half an inch wider than current door. Problem is install date is March 9th. They suggested I use duct tape along edge of door frame to the brick for air/wind control until the new door arrives.
    Will you at least NOW tell us the name of the company that screwed you, so nobody else has to go through your nightmare? You're much kinder than I would have been doc. I'd yank a knot in their tail if I were you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh, and go on Yelp, and Googlereviews and any other review website I could find and tell your experience with them. I'm vengeful like that though. :)

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Wow, what a nightmare! Sounds a lot like the knuckle heads that TRIED to build my son-in-law's pole barn this summer.
    I won't go into details here but will just say he was a couple months on 30x32, then cancelled the overhead door and left the job unfinished. Ugh!

It sound like it could be a long cold winter, maybe we should all show up, each one with a loaded caulking gun!

I hope you have someone that can help get you temporarily sealed up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow, what a nightmare! Sounds a lot like the knuckle heads that TRIED to build my son-in-law's pole barn this summer.
    I won't go into details here but will just say he was a couple months on 30x32, then cancelled the overhead door and left the job unfinished. Ugh!

It sound like it could be a long cold winter, maybe we should all show up, each one with a loaded caulking gun!

I hope you have someone that can help get you temporarily sealed up.
    Why are you guys so hesitant to name the people that are doing this to you? Although in your case Jon, it sounds like it might not have been an actual company.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

This stuff will work for sealing it up better than tape. It's easier to clean up when you have to redo the door than the great stuff style.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom