• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just aquired a Norinco SKS today... Thanks to Cwood in Bremen, IN. I'm considering putting a Tapco compliance kit on the rifle. I see there is a 3 piece kit and a 6 piece kit available. My question is am I legal with just the 3 piece or will I need the larger 6 piece kit.

Only problem I see with using the full 6 piece compliance kit is it comes with a muzzle brake for Yugos which I don't believe will work on this norinco. Can someone clue me in on what I legally need to do here.

Cheers!

Pic of this great gun:
    NorincoWeb.jpg

Believe me, I'm considering just leaving it the way it is too!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i say leave it alone. it's a great rifle as is. you might grab a handful of strippers and some ammo with the money you are considering spending on the tapco gear.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    straight-shooter runs and ducks for cover! :eek:

Haha, the more I sit here and look at this rifle the more I agree. I'll get some stripper clips and some ammo and just go have fun.

Thanks for bringing me back to my senses. :)

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Remember before you shoot it make sure the rear sight is set for the 100 setting and not before that (the "n" setting) or you'll be way off, other than that it should shoot like a laser. Oh, and personally I'd remove the brake but thats just me.;)

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Zephri, I dig that animated gif signature line you got going. I never knew microsoft wrote the software for the starship enterprise. Now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are! LOL... :D

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Wow! You guys can be harsh!

I happen to like the Tapco kits and several of the aftermarket stocks for the SKS. Makes a great modernized rifle out of it.

Do what you want with the rifle - it's yours. It's not a priceless one-of-a-kind rifle so make it how you like it.

As far as legal compliance, I have no idea.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Even though I've decided to keep the sks stock, I would still like to know if the 3 piece Tapco kit is enough to make it legal for a conversion or if the 6 piece kit is required.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Wow! You guys can be harsh!

I happen to like the Tapco kits and several of the aftermarket stocks for the SKS. Makes a great modernized rifle out of it.

Do what you want with the rifle - it's yours. It's not a priceless one-of-a-kind rifle so make it how you like it.

As far as legal compliance, I have no idea.

:+1:I couldn't agree more. I love shooting my converted yugo with 20rd mags (which have yet to misfeed) and $90 red dot. I have another SKS with original furniture. Both are a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm pretty sure that the 3-part kit isn't a "compliance" kit, in that it doesn't give you enough US-made parts in order to make modifications.

The ridiculous thing is that it's really hard to answer your question. Here's is some information I've found on the topic:

WWW.SIMONOV.NET - TEN OR LESS

For Kirk Freeman's benefit, it should be "TEN OR FEWER". :-)

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    After reading that article it looks as if I would need the complete 6 piece compliance kit. Only bummer is one of the pieces is for a Yugo and not a Norinco so I would still need one more piece if I'm figuring this correctly.

As stated earlier, I'll just leave it stock for now. Thanks for the article which greatly helped in clearing this up.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    After reading that article it looks as if I would need the complete 6 piece compliance kit. Only bummer is one of the pieces is for a Yugo and not a Norinco so I would still need one more piece if I'm figuring this correctly.

As stated earlier, I'll just leave it stock for now. Thanks for the article which greatly helped in clearing this up.

FWIW, I believe that the Yugo muzzle break shouldn't be an issue for you. My understanding is that you need to have 10 or fewer foreign parts. If you don't have a muzzle break, then it can't count against you on a Norinco. Tapco provides it for us Yugo owners because our break would put us over the limit.

I realize I'm :horse: but I was bored. :D:D

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I believe I paid ~ $130.00 for the kit from cheaperthandirt.com. Their site seems to be down now, but here it is at Midway:
    MidwayUSA - TAPCO Fusion Compliance Kit SKS with Cut to Accept Blade Bayonet Synthetic Black

If you get one, make sure you get one with the correct bayonet cutout. I took my bayo off, so I got the stock without the cutout.

I constantly read, "Why would you bubbify an SKS, when you really want an AK?" My reasons: 1) it's still cheaper than an AK, especially if you can get a cheap SKS with crappy furniture; and 2) I like SKSs better than AKs. Personal preference.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I would leave that rifle alone ONLY if it has all matching numbers minus the Mag. On the other hand, I'd go find you another rifle that has crappy furniture and get the Tapco Fusion stock compliance kit. You don't have to use the Yugo muzzle brake as there are many more out there.

I bought mine and it had the ATI side fold stock. The stock wobbled so I changed to the Tapco Fusion and now use Tapco Mags and haven't regretted a THING! The Fusion stock and 20rnd mags work flawlessly together. The only issue is the 20rnd mags need some break in time to get the follower and spring to ride smoothly in the magazine. Otherwise you may get some FTF and the like. Other than that, the TAPCO is the best aftermarket stock, IMHO. It's adjustable, it's light, it can be drilled into without crying, etc.

Here's some before and after. Note: the NCStar Scope mount has been removed. Waiting until I can get one like Zephri's Dragonov Mount and scope! :rockwoot:

Before with ATI sidefolder:
    guns004.jpg

ATIUltralightStock001.jpg

After with Tapco Fusion T6:
    ImprovedSKS002.jpg

ImprovedSKS004.jpg

I now have a forward grip on the under-rail. I plan on attaching the top handguard with rail, I just haven't found the nerve to do so. I also plan on attaching a Handgrip/Bipod when I can find the money.

She's more accurate at 100yrds than I am and I'm pretty good with open sights. Wouldn't trade this rifle for anything!!

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Hey, SavageEagle, I just saw a replacement bolt assembly that allows you to insert a mag with the bolt forward. That's the one thing I don't like about the Tapco mags -- if your bolt is closed, you have to pull the bolt back and manually lock it in order to insert a mag. That's not something I want to be worrying about.

MilSurpStuff.com Products

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That is a nice thing to have. I wonder why a gunsmith is required though?

I look at it like this. If I need to change the mag, the bolt is already locked back from the previous mag so this doesn't pose a problem unless the rifle is dropped and the bolt snaps forward. In that case it wouldn't even matter if you were using stripper clips. Once you drop that rifle you're dead anyway.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I look at it like this. If I need to change the mag, the bolt is already locked back from the previous mag so this doesn't pose a problem unless the rifle is dropped and the bolt snaps forward. In that case it wouldn't even matter if you were using stripper clips. Once you drop that rifle you're dead anyway.

It's not a question of stripper clips vs. removable mags. It's a question of removable mag vs. fixed mag. With the fixed mag, if you pull the bolt back, it locks without having to stick your finger in the well, find the lock, and push it up while holding the bolt. That's a few seconds you'll not get back.

Top Bottom