• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Anyone used one? At Christmas dinner my girlfriends dad, who is a farmer, and I were talking about coyote hunting. He said he has a patch of ground with cows where the coyotes are thick. He brought up the idea of going out there sometime. I just started getting into guns really, but had been thinking of purchasing an SKS anyway. I'm going to look at some on Thursday at Whittakers. They show that they have 3 Norincos on their website. A paratrooper and 2 regular ones. I'm guessing the regular ones would be better?

EDIT: Just saw they have 2 Yugos as well.

Thanks in Advance,
    Austin

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Not being negative here, just honest. I had a Chinese (Norinco) SKS and could not hit a milk jug at 25yds with it. If you want an inexpensive Yote gun, You may want to look for a Mosin-Nagant in 7.62 Russian or a russian SKS with a screwed barrel . The Mosin's can be had in Lafayette for $125.00 and they have been re-barreled. My son has one that is very accurate with iron sight at 100yds. If you get one, watch your backstop (Cows) as that round does not know when to stop.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I have owned 2 of the standard issue Chinese models. I used the nicest one as an anti-groundhog weapon and it was devastating (under 75 yards) with soft point ammo. Given the problem with getting a solidly mounted scope on these rifles, the poor iron sights and my 50 year old eyes, I probably wouldn't hunt with one past 75 yards with just irons. It's not the best choice for coyotes but it'll work. With new entry level ARs in the $600 range now, it'd be hard to choose an SKS over an AR for coyotes.

With that said, the 7.62x39 hits very hard and some FMJ ammo penetrates like crazy. It'll certainly kill one farther out than I can safely aim. The problem with my second SKS was the front sight. It shoots to the right and I need one of those front sight pusher tools to straighten it up. My advice is to be aware of what is behind/beyond your coyote because FMJ ammo will likely zip right through it at 100 yards or less.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The idea of a .223 handi rifle would be a great idea. But if your set on a SKS get the best one you can afford and put some Tech-Sights on it and you should be good to go.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    An SKS would be a fine choice. If you have a selection to buy from, try the triggers. Rough or creaky triggers are a bane of the SKS. Also, buy higher quality ammo. A lot of the accuracy problems associated with SKSes is due to trying to get match accuracy out of surplus ammo.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have an AR and an SKS - I am surprised by the accuracy comments - I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards with iron sights in less time than it took me to type this.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Budget Varmint Gun

You cannot go wrong with a 22-250, I like the range I get out of them with a decent scope. You can pick up a single shot scoped out for less than $350. You will not get more than one shot at a yote anyways. Then again there is the Mosin Nagant for around $125 and very accurate with a devastating round. 100 yards is not a problem with open sights.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I had thought about a rifle in .223. I have a buddy that just bought a savage in 22-250 and he loves it. I was wanting an SKS before this so I'll probably end up getting it anyways, and get something specifically for the yotes down the road. But who knows, when i go down there I may come back with something totally different.:dunno:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Seconded, thirded, whatever. Simonova (SKS) should be doom for yotes. 7.62x39 is way more than adequate, and if you can't hit one out to 100m with the irons, even with surplus ammo, there's something else wrong.

Top Bottom