• Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    might as well revive this in case.

Mama Bear went grocery shopping in Lafayette today. Said the store was a jammed packed mad house. Pretty odd for a Tuesday morning:dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Btown grocery around 11:30 looked like a hurricane was coming. All the dairy shelves empty, most of the eggs, etc. I had to wait 20 minutes in line for checkout.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Sam's Club Fort Wayne (Sat. afternoon)

Paper products were decimated (TP, Tissues, Towels)

Staples in the food aisle were present but not overflowing like usual.

Gonna need to do my Thanksgiving shopping soon.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    All the Halloween candy aisle at Wally was empty as of Monday. I was hoping for some good clearance chocolate.
    There was still some at Walgreen's.
    I look out for the good stuff like Lindt (Lindor). Not as much a fan of Ghirardelli. Once in a while you can get it for 75% off, but haven't seen that in a while. 50% is good, though. If you have a Fannie May store, sometimes they go 50% or 60% off also.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Sam's Club Fort Wayne (Sat. afternoon)

Paper products were decimated (TP, Tissues, Towels)

Staples in the food aisle were present but not overflowing like usual.

Gonna need to do my Thanksgiving shopping soon.
    My local Aldi had plenty of paper products yesterday. YMMV

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Kroger on County Line & Emerson (South Side) has 80/20 3 lb rolls of hamburger for $5.99 each ($1.99/lb)

Last time they had them at this price I bought several. I bought 24 lbs. Great for freezing. Cut the roll up into 2-3 pieces and freeze individually.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Kroger on County Line & Emerson (South Side) has 80/20 3 lb rolls of hamburger for $5.99 each ($1.99/lb)

Last time they had them at this price I bought several. I bought 24 lbs. Great for freezing. Cut the roll up into 2-3 pieces and freeze individually.

Thanks!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If anyone is in NW Indiana where there is a Strack and VanTil, they have 3-lb packs of ground beef for 3.99 through today (12/1). Not sure of the quality. It's only 73% and the packages look like they are commercially packed off-site.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If anyone is in NW Indiana where there is a Strack and VanTil, they have 3-lb packs of ground beef for 3.99 through today (12/1). Not sure of the quality. It's only 73% and the packages look like they are commercially packed off-site.

Beware of the "Finely Textured Beef".

Generally I try to avoid the tubes where you can't see the product inside.

Your experience may vary...but mine scarred me for life.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, and when I went back and looked, it's selling point is that it's "USDA Inspected". Not graded. Is that unusual for ground beef, or for any meat?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna run up to the Kroger by me and pick up a couple. I noticed them when I was in there yesterday but forgot about the current ad ending today.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, and when I went back and looked, it's selling point is that it's "USDA Inspected". Not graded. Is that unusual for ground beef, or for any meat?

I know pork isn't graded. I believe that beef is the only meat that is graded... let me see... apparently lamb and poultry is graded.

I would imagine that ground beef grading wouldn't matter - as there's no fat distribution, etc. to grade on.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Beware of the "Finely Textured Beef".

Generally I try to avoid the tubes where you can't see the product inside.

Your experience may vary...but mine scarred me for life.

Over the last 2 years the use of "Finely Textured Beef", aka Pink Slime, has been greatly reduced because of public outcry. McDonald's, Taco Bell and Burger no longer use it.
    Kroger, Costco, Publix, H.E.B., Aldi's along withStop & Shop and Giant ( which are owned by Aldi's) do not have it in their certified Angus. Also Meier's had not had it since March of 2012.

I've been buying the Meier Brand 3lb rolls to put in my chili and make Hamburger Tater Tot casseroles, and it very good.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, yeah, whatever...

We once thought that the fat was bad for you. Now those of us doing the keto thing try to find more. We often sauté our veggies in burger and sausage drippings.

"Pink slime" likely has a lot of internal organ parts that are actually in the modern day considered quite good for a body. :)

I think I'm headed for dinner soon. 1/2# $1.99 ground steak, smothered in cheddar. On the side, fresh chard and onion sautéed in the seasoned burger drippings, drizzled with a little balsamic. :drool:

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Over the last 2 years the use of "Finely Textured Beef", aka Pink Slime, has been greatly reduced because of public outcry. McDonald's, Taco Bell and Burger no longer use it.
    Kroger, Costco, Publix, H.E.B., Aldi's along withStop & Shop and Giant ( which are owned by Aldi's) do not have it in their certified Angus. Also Meier's had not had it since March of 2012.

I've been buying the Meier Brand 3lb rolls to put in my chili and make Hamburger Tater Tot casseroles, and it very good.

Well, I did qualify the statement by saying I have been, "scarred for life"! :thumbsup:

It was a terrible experience. It didn't look like ground beef. It didn't cook like ground beef (It kind of fell apart). And its taste was only reminiscent of ground beef.

I swore I would never buy the tube stuff again, no matter the price.

I'm glad to read that industry acceptance has waned. No loss there.

The Soylent Pink was definitely not for me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Kroger at Southport and Franklin had 6 pack 16.9 oz bottles of Mountain Dew Zero (aka Nectar of the Gods), buy 5 for $10.
    It's gone now, because I bought it all, but other Krogers probably have the same deal going.
    They had other flavors (Dr Pepper, Sunkist, Canada Dry, etc) for the same price.
    I've never seen it that low. 33 cents a bottle. I'd have bought more if they had it.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I have noticed that some food items are staying on the shelf longer than normal rather being reduced closer to the sell by date, which I rarely check on most items. This has been irritating to me since last Sunday I bought large hamburger buns, opened them Thursday night, moldy. I also picked up some strawberries and lemons when my GF and I were out, lemons were getting dark spots by Tuesday, and I had moldy strawberries already. I had to pick the good ones out and freeze them, which isn't really a big deal since they are for Boris, my Russian tortoise. It is just a PITA. I also noticed that Campbell's Chunky soups are now 2.5 ounces smaller and the same price.

Top Bottom