• ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Damn, I was born way too early for all the high tech applications to make me better.
    I had to use standard windage, elevation, and know my ballistics.

That's nothing. When I was a lad, my dad would sight his rifle with his iron sights, and I would have to carry the bullet in my teeth and run down range all the way to the target at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards and back to verify his sighting! Then when we were done, I would have to hand clean the range with my tongue!

The kids nowadays... Sheesh!

I had to get up a half-hour before I went to bed, do my chores, clean the street, go to work for 26 hours a day down at the mill...

[video=youtube;Xe1a1wHxTyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/video]

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    no single right answer. pick what works for your needs and your equipment, and how far you want to reach w/o adjusting anything. I have different guns with different zeros. on my 3-gun AR I settled on 100yd after running 200 for a while. worked better with my scope reticle over distance and I found calling shots easier on small targets, as I could just put the POA a little high on any smaller target all the way to 200 and know it would hit somewhere between the poa and about 2" under. no more calling center hits slightly off and wondering if I was hitting above or below based on distance...

my bump in the night gun has a 200 yd zero w/o the silencer, which works out awful close to a 100yd zero when I put the can on.

9mm AR has a 15 yd zero which gets poa/poi very close for typical uspsa 7-20yd targets. anything farther I just 6-o,clock hold.

etc etc.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What makes you think you need to be independently wealthy to shoot far enough that science matters?

I'm not, and I do.

-Nate

Because currently I do not live anywhere near a long distance shooting range. Because currently I do not have any equipment in order to begin. Because currently I do not have any equipment to reload. Because currently I do not have enough money to purchase land that would allow me to conduct such activities on. Because currently I don't have any nearby friends/relatives where I could conduct such activities...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    1) Because currently I do not live anywhere near a long distance shooting range. (2) Because currently I do not have any equipment in order to begin. (3) Because currently I do not have any equipment to reload. (4) Because currently I do not have enough money to purchase land that would allow me to conduct such activities on. (5) Because currently I don't have any nearby friends/relatives where I could conduct such activities...

1) Aren't you in Crawfordsville? Wildcat Valley goes to 300, and that's far enough to challenge about 95% of the population into shooting like crap. I know, it's not far enough to investigate coriolis, but it's a start...beats hell out of making like a potato on a couch. If you want to go further, yes, you will have to drive to Atterbury or similar.

2) Do you own a rifle? What is it?

3) Reloading and hand loading are good, but not a barrier. First, there are a lot of good small-shop ammunition builders that are more reasonably priced than the big name 20-rd boxes. Second, barring nasty cartridges like 7.89 Brenneke Arisaka Match, if you really want to get into it, and you are a nice guy, you can probably find somebody to let you use their press and dies...and teach you. So: components.

4) Land is not a requirement. Period. Some of the best LR shooters I know live in the 'burbs and coach teeball from their minivans.

5) See answer#4.

If you want it enough, you'll make it happen, even if it means ramen (done that.).

-Nate

blakeelee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Brownsburg
    50 yards is where i set mine at. around 50 is where the bullet will be in line with your sight alignment (since the bore is a couple inches lower than your sights).

Top Bottom