Sig P250 sub compac, Pros and cons please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Not an owner, but looked VERY closely at them. I'll disclose my bias and say that I love them.

pros:
    -- smooth, light, but long trigger.
    -- very reliable
    -- modular architecture.

Cons--
    -- Aftermarket isn't supporting P250 much. Holsters, sights, etc are not abundant.
    -- they aren't very small for a subcompact. Bigger than other guns of similar capacity.

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    It's a little heavy, depending on what you are use to carrying... But manageable.

It's a little thick, depending on what you are use to carrying and body type.... But VERY manageable.

Yes it is a looooong trigger.

But very manageable with consistent training and practice.

I have one paired up with a p290rs, if you can rent a 250 to test it out I recommend it.

It's not for everyone. GL

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I found it hard to hold onto while firing.

Accurate enough, factory night sights. Small enough to have carried well should I have wanted to.

But since I was used to striker fired pistols, I didn't really care for the trigger. Smooth enough, light enough...just not for me.

I had mine not long after they were out - and aftermarket support was quite lacking. Couldn't get mags...couldn't get other frames...couldn't get conversion barrels/slides...etc etc.

I now no longer own the platform.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The pros and cons were covered well. I have one and realy like it. It appears SIG has abandoned the P250 for the P320, but the P250/P320 frames, magazines, and holsters will interchange.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Not an owner, but looked VERY closely at them. I'll disclose my bias and say that I love them.

pros:
    -- smooth, light, but long trigger.
    -- very reliable
    -- modular architecture.

Cons--
    -- Aftermarket isn't supporting P250 much. Holsters, sights, etc are not abundant.
    -- they aren't very small for a subcompact. Bigger than other guns of similar capacity.

As an owner of the Compact, this covers the pros and cons nicely. I find it to be a nice shooter. The trigger is long and heavy (for some) but smooth and predictable once you've trained with it.

The modular architecture could have been a better pro but it seems sig has abandoned the P250 in favor of the P320. However, this may mean that holsters, magazines, and grip frames may still be plentiful as they are shared parts between the two models. I haven't looked into it so I don't know for certain.

IF you practice with it and find that you like the trigger I don't think you will be disappointed. That said, it's not for everyone. Even though I enjoy mine and still take it to the range regularly, I quit carrying it in favor of the M&P compact.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    triggers long and heavy, spend a little more and get a p320, costs more, but the trigger pull is worth the extra!

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Speaking as one who cut his teeth on revolvers, I loved the trigger on mine. Shot well. Just can't stick with bottom feeders. I keep going back to the wheelies.

I shoot handguns better when the resistance is the same from start to finish on the trigger stroke. The P250 has that trigger in spades.

Wheel gunners would pay big money (if they didn't do it themselves) for a trigger action like the P250, IMHO.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I had one in .40 and shot it pretty well for about three years or so. The trigger pull is long as some have mentioned but it is very smooth. Best accuracy for me came from staging the trigger, with a little time behind it you will find you do it without having to think about it. I shoot wheel guns a lot and almost always DA so it wasn't a big leap for me as far as the DAO thing goes. I decided to try and throw my hat in the ring and try some USPSA matches and just couldn't shoot as fast as I liked so I sold it to a buddy who loves it.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Sig "abandoned" the P250? Heck, they just came out with a .22 LR version of it. P320 holsters fit them. I'm beginning to view this platform as doomed by prejudice and misinformation.

More to the OP, I'm not a fan of subcompacts in general, but I am a big fan of the P250 action. This isn't a target pistol platform; it's mechanically appropriate for its intended purpose.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Sig "abandoned" the P250? Heck, they just came out with a .22 LR version of it. P320 holsters fit them. I'm beginning to view this platform as doomed by prejudice and misinformation.

More to the OP, I'm not a fan of subcompacts in general, but I am a big fan of the P250 action. This isn't a target pistol platform; it's mechanically appropriate for its intended purpose.

If feels like there are a lot of people depriving themselves of a great gun by ruling out the gun based on the trigger.

I like to think of the fun a a modern DAO revolver with higher capacity and a smoother, lighter action.

Heck, in .357 Sig you almost have the revolver completely replaced!

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central

Abandoned probably was the wrong word and focused on the P320 is more correct. The P320 is more likely to be what the police and military are looking for in a handgun.

SIG attempted to create a simple less expensive military and police handgun that could be easily configured for most people. They were successful in the P250 but the contracts did not arrive. Two major contracts (US Air Marshal's Service and the Dutch Police) were canceled and more expensive firearms were purchased.

I have a P250 and several X-change kits. I realy like the pistol and think it is a great pistol for new shooters and the addition of the 22lr makes it even better for training new shooters. The price of the P250 makes it even more attractive. I don't think SIG will drop the P250 any time soon especially the 22lr with the Mosquito being discontinued.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I bought the 250 when they were selling it as a 2SUM set. It was a great value so I got it. Never used the full size body since I wanted the sub compact. Loved the feel and weight. Unfortunately, I couldn't hit a damn thing with it. At first I thought it was me but I brought my other semi's and did great. After some research, I found out the 250 or perhaps SIGs were high bore axis and my POA vs POI was not matching up with it. I finally traded it for a FNH FNX-40 and wow! What a difference! It brought my confidence in shooting back! :D

Top Bottom