Sig P228 guide rod protusion is this normal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    This isn't regarding a P228 I own. *I wish* But I found this video on youtube posted a few days ago. I began to watch it, and I have had something similar happen to a gun I used to own in the past. Does anyone know why a gun does this? I assume it's just a weak spring from the guide rod. But yeah just let me know your thoughts on it.

YouTube - Sig P228 Guide Rod Protrusion

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The guy said the gun is brand new. I'm guessing if he puts a little oil on it and runs a couple mags through it, it won't hang up like that.

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    I don't know for sure, but the guide rod on that gun might not be a factory guide rod. At least, it doesn't look like what I'm used to seeing on a SIG. All the SIG's I have owned have a hollow metal guide rod. I've heard that the newer ones have plastic guide rods. But I have never seen a solid steel guide rod that looks like the one in that video on a factory new SIG. There are a couple of after market solid steel guide rods available.

He probably needs to use a good gun grease on the moving parts, shoot a few hundred rounds and see if the problem goes away. It might. Or, if it is confirmed that the guide rod is aftermarket, I would install a factory guide rod and see if that fixes it.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    but the guide rod on that gun might not be a factory guide rod... All the SIG's I have owned have a hollow metal guide rod.

+1
    It doesn't look factory to me.
    All the SIG factory guide rods I've seen/own have the hollow hole in the front of it unless it was aftermarket or a Sig Pro.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    My 228 does not do this. It also has the factor hollow rod. Then again I also don't think the guide rod is "flimsy" in this video. If the guide rod were flimsy (in the sense that it moved back and forth) then the firearm wouldn't work at all. Your guide rod doesn't move, the slide moves and the spring on the guide rod moves (well, compresses). In this video, I don't think the issue is with the guide rod but with the slide. The slide gets stuck back a little bit. Whether this is caused by the slide rubbing against the glide rod or the frame or ??? is unknown from what the video shows. Oil it up and try again.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    +1
    It doesn't look factory to me.
    All the SIG factory guide rods I've seen/own have the hollow hole in the front of it unless it was aftermarket or a Sig Pro.
    I will agree with you guys on this, I have never owned a P228, But Every p226,p229,p220 I have ever owned has had the hollow guide rod with the hole in the front.
    I have never seen this happen before, mabey new to him? or so new mabey they changed the guide rods they have been using for 25+ years:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    My 228 does not do this. It also has the factor hollow rod. Then again I also don't think the guide rod is "flimsy" in this video. If the guide rod were flimsy (in the sense that it moved back and forth) then the firearm wouldn't work at all. Your guide rod doesn't move, the slide moves and the spring on the guide rod moves (well, compresses). In this video, I don't think the issue is with the guide rod but with the slide. The slide gets stuck back a little bit. Whether this is caused by the slide rubbing against the glide rod or the frame or ??? is unknown from what the video shows. Oil it up and try again.
    The barrel appears to stay even with the slide when the guide rob protrudes. It seems to me that it is the guide rod moving forward and not the slide sticking.:twocents: -wrong
    Mabey the guide rod sticking on the slide?
    It kinda look plastic to me, and he sais " I hope this is the guide rod that came in the gun". If it was brand new I wouldn't think there would be much question on that.
    Also I couldn't say forsure but after watching that video a couple of times, I dont even think the grips on it are original, looks alot like a set of hogues.....

Last edited:

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    The barrel appears to stay even with the slide when the guide rob protrudes. It seems to me that it is the guide rod moving forward and not the slide sticking.:twocents:

The barrel is free to move when the slide moves... the guide rode is not. The guide rod is held in place by the frame. Go look at your Sig if you pull the slide back just a little bit, it will look exactly as in the video. The only difference is when you release your slide, it moves back in place whereas the one in the video gets stuck back. Again, this is a slide getting stuck back problem. Sure, friction with the guide rod could cause that, but it's not the guide rod moving.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    The barrel is free to move when the slide moves... the guide rode is not. The guide rod is held in place by the frame. Go look at your Sig if you pull the slide back just a little bit, it will look exactly as in the video. The only difference is when you release your slide, it moves back in place whereas the one in the video gets stuck back. Again, this is a slide getting stuck back problem. Sure, friction with the guide rod could cause that, but it's not the guide rod moving.
    Yep,
    You got me, I should have probly picked one up before I went throwing around awnsers, you are right in that the barrel moves back and that it is most likely the slide sticking.:bow:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If the 228 is new or newer, it very well could be a plastic Sig guiderod.
    I've got three things for you to try.
    1. Grease that slide, and a lil dab on the barrel. Slide glide is a major brand. I use whatever's on the bench.
    2. Get a stainless guide rod from Sigpower.com JeffSig makes em himself, and quality is A1. And not at all expensive.
    3. Consider Wolff springs if 1 and 2 don't work. Sig spring on a new 228 should be more than sufficient, though.

Shoot at least a couple of hundred rounds, as earlier posters suggest. Looks to me as though your slide is just a tight fit, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Now go out and BUY that 228 or 229 (or heck, even a 226..) and start shooting it! THAT"S where the fun is, baby!

Top Bottom