• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I was wondering who had meds in their preps and what, how much, etc?

I found a source for Antibiotics and surgical supplies and such but wasn't sure if others have these types of things in their preps?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Back in the late 70's we were dismantling (trashing) Civil Defense stores from fallout/bomb shelters. The Penicillin tablets were still potent even though they were bottled in the 50's. I just remembered that the drinking water was to be put in lined metal 20 or 30 gallon cans. These stores were below ground, temperature controlled and had very little light if any.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here's what I keep on hand. All fresh, current. Expired stuff gets rotated out, pushed down:

Flagyl
    Keflex
    Cipro
    Doxy
    PenG

Vicodin
    Tylenol 3
    Licocaine

Ibuprofen
    Naproxen
    Benadryl
    Imodium AD
    Pepcid AC & TUMs
    Multi symptom cold tablets
    Nasal spray

Neosporin
    Triple antibiotic-opthalmic (eyes)
    Eye drops
    Oragel
    Antifungal cream

Valarian root
    Melatonin
    Multivitamins

Vodka. I'm not kidding.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph0LtznsDH8&feature=player_profilepage[/ame]

The above is something I've seen listed in several other locations also. Might be worthwhile to review the video and the links (if they are still active;)).

mammynunswife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Here's what I keep on hand. All fresh, current. Expired stuff gets rotated out, pushed down:

Flagyl
    Keflex
    Cipro
    Doxy
    PenG

Vicodin
    Tylenol 3
    Licocaine

Ibuprofen
    Naproxen
    Benadryl
    Imodium AD
    Pepcid AC & TUMs
    Multi symptom cold tablets
    Nasal spray

Neosporin
    Triple antibiotic-opthalmic (eyes)
    Eye drops
    Oragel
    Antifungal cream

Valarian root
    Melatonin
    Multivitamins

Vodka. I'm not kidding.

Where do you get the meds that need a script??? I feel weird going to my doc and asking her for a bunch of antibiotics!

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have scrips for all of them. I go to remote areas of the world sometimes. Rain forest, desert, mountains, some in 3rd world countries. I tell my doc what I need and he trusts me and writes me scrips. He is also a prepper, so he gets it.

The pain meds I have from ANY dental procedure, sports injury, whatever. I cry like a little girl so I will get meds. Then I take an Aleve and stash the Rx stuff away.

Once again, all have scrips. I don't play around with stuff like that.

I don't know what to tell you about asking your doc for a scrip for ABs. You need to have a relationship with him/her and they need to have a level of trust as well as less God syndrome.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    WETSU,
    Have you heard of the fish meds? They aren't the prefered medicine obviously, but I've done some reading about them and while they aren't perfect they can help. I'm curious what you or anyone else thinks about those.

I did a lot of reading about the fish meds and I think it came down to something is better than nothing. For example instead of a scrip for Amoxicillan, you could buy Fish-Mox.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I have added a pocket drug guide to my bag as well. It would come in handy in the event that you have scrounge for meds and are not trained in pharmacology.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Teddy, I have used fish meds as well as vet meds, way back in the day. You really need to know your drugs, similar names, but different formulations, Also dosage will be different. Be careful. Most fish meds are old school antibiotics, and are pretty safe provided the pt doesn't have a sensitivity. Fish meds include tetracycline, amoxacillin, penicillin, and erythromycin.

Like you said, better than nothing.

rjstew317.

This is the pocket drug guide I have used over the years. One of the best IMO.

Tarascon »

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought a copy of "The Pill Book" and had intended to read everything I could, but I've been very disappointed in the book based on what I was expecting.

It might be a nice idea to start a SHTF meds picture thread with explanations for what we have stored and why. Any takers?

Top Bottom