• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'd love to hear, see examples etc of improvised survivial gear.

Those who go all out will have:
    --Lots of those green/yellow spools of trip/guide wire. You can find these at most Army-Navy stores.
    --Barbwire
    --Concertina/razor wire
    --Trip wire devices that either activate chemical light sticks or strike the primer of a shotgun shell (blanks are usually used, as a sound alarm device). The most die hard survivalist will buy those Infra-Red chemical light sticks and use them. This means it is at night and they are all decked out with night vision goggles, as that is the only way a human could see the IR light being emitted.
    --Caltrops (a/k/a Road Stars)
    --Various metal and non-metallic defense items (key-chain batons, etc.)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I think bladed, and blunted tools are a good idea in SHTF situation.

Am I the only one with the book "Silencing Sentries".

Similar to the Tommy lee Jones movie, The Hunted.

Except it's instructional.

I bring up this follow as an example.

"Car breaks down or it's far too dangerous to drive in the big tin, as it will draw attention."

Your in a situation like me, deep inside Indpls, with 16 miles between you and getting outside of 465.

You are like me, in an already incredibly dangerous neighborhood, so now it will certainly be even worse.

You have to move your family, and if you are like me, prissy wife, noisy fearless daughter, and and newborn baby boy.

"You come across some guys; whose in your avenue of path.
    You have an AK47, slingshot, bows and arrows, bladed and blunted weapons, crossbow, and numerous other fire arms.

You do not know if there is more people just around the bend or on the next block."

I firmly believe in the SHTF situation, the entire family, is now a combat unit. Anyone able to hold and aim, WILL - What do you do?

That is my example, of a decent reason why learning and becoming a subject matter expert on other forms of weapons is just as applicable in a SHTF.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Like any good planning, you should have layers and multiples of back ups. Someone said it here, modern firearms are the most efficient way of taking game, especially if your condition is compromised/injured.

The other items/ Slingshots-the bands get nicked, break or rot. Spears-like the Bushman someone posted? They break. BTDT. They take A LOT of practice to use as throwing weapons. Blackpowder? Why not use a modern firearm is you are already storing powder, ball etc? Airguns? They break. Even the good ones if used enough.

Me? I have layers for harvesting game.

Fishing stuff (lines, nets)
    brass and SS wire for snares
    small steel traps
    rat traps
    slingshot
    airgun(s)
    Hunting guns (.22s, shotguns)
    fighting guns
    ammo

I don't rely on any one method of getting fed. I can't.

As for fighting? I would NEVER consider the teenage fantasy of fighting another man using a slingshot or sword. If a man aims to do me bodily harm. I will use the most effective means in my possesion to stop him. I train hard in the use of these means to ensure my success. I also train hard in empty hand, so I don't become a "gun-only" guy.

Layers.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Am I the only one with the book "Silencing Sentries".

Similar to the Tommy lee Jones movie, The Hunted.

Except it's instructional.

I bring up this follow as an example.

"Car breaks down or it's far too dangerous to drive in the big tin, as it will draw attention."

Your in a situation like me, deep inside Indpls, with 16 miles between you and getting outside of 465.

You are like me, in an already incredibly dangerous neighborhood, so now it will certainly be even worse.

You have to move your family, and if you are like me, prissy wife, noisy fearless daughter, and and newborn baby boy.

You have an AK47, slingshot, bows and arrows, bladed and blunted weapons, crossbow, and numerous other fire arms.

You do not know if there is more people just around the bend or on the next block."

I firmly believe in the SHTF situation, the entire family, is now a combat unit. Anyone able to hold and aim, WILL - What do you do?

That is my example, of a decent reason why learning and becoming a subject matter expert on other forms of weapons is just as applicable in a SHTF.

One thought on reading this. If you are dedicated to prepping why not move out of Inianapolis now, before SHTF? Then at least when you are at home you don't have that 16 mile walk to get outside of 465. You are sitting in an area with 977 people per square mile. You could cut that by half or a third just by moving outside Marion County.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    One thought on reading this. If you are dedicated to prepping why not move out of Inianapolis now, before SHTF? Then at least when you are at home you don't have that 16 mile walk to get outside of 465. You are sitting in an area with 977 people per square mile. You could cut that by half or a third just by moving outside Marion County.

that is also one of my goals in the future. I'm basically "in town" so the kids can do all the sports/activities that I couldn't do because we lived so far out of town.

kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    Eddie-
    Great thought, but...
    I bought a house in a "transitional neighborhood" when I was younger, dumber and SINGLE.
    Now I'm in the same boat as NordicHeathenVinlander described (except my youngest is another female)...
    In case you haven't noticed the housing market sux... between that, a sketchy neighborhood and not willing to carry two mortgages... just picking up and moving outside 465 isn't an option. Houses in my neighborhood are routinely on the market over 9 months... no quick sells here, no matter how nice the house.
    Not that I haven't given consideration to SHTF situations with certain home hardening and other preps...
    At that point my best bet is put the family in 2 tons of 4wd battering ram with extra gas from the garage and my BOB's heading towards the farm... no stopping regardless of the yard I need to go thru...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)

If I could... I definitely would. But it takes time, and currently, my finances wont allow such to be anything other than a dream.

In a perfect world, I would be far out, into the country, and able to Prep to my standard.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

Floor the full size Bronco and get out of dodge. If people with guns get in your way, drive faster.

What I want to know is, what can happen where everything just goes south all at once, and everyone else turns into animals?

My wife and I passed an M35
    300px-M35.jpg
    the other day. Told her, that's the truck I need if I have to come downtown and rescue you.

She, in her infinite practicality, says, if it's that bad, I'm not going to work.

Getting out before the balloon goes up is the trick.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Just get a Semi, or some real work truck, like a dump truck.

Keith, your post :laugh: Reminds of this story I was told, by a guy who was in Somilia....Think "Black hawk Dwon", but 10 months prior (I believe).

Said the guys were always trying to ambush, jumping out infront of the vehicles.
    I guess the order was given to "run them over", in those situations.

When he explained the "Bump"; I could not stop laughing, but then again, neither could he.:laugh::rockwoot:

Top Bottom