• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I plan on going out on Monday to see what I can find *fingers crossed*! I usually soak them in salt water for atleast 12 hours and the flour them (with secret spices lol) and fry 'em up. BEST thing....No one in my family, besides me, likes them...so I get them all to myself. CHA CHING!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    OK, so I am thinking about looking for some morels. I have never hunted mushrooms before, so I wanted your opinions. I read onlinethat an edible morel is hollow, and the poisonous is not. Is that correct?

..or, would a novice be better off (safer) just not doing it, lol.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Years back a girl I dated had a Dad that owned a tree company. He had part of it in Kentucky. He would go down there in a motorcamper and come back with a couple bushel baskets of Morels. Some land he owned there. He would call me from Indy and let me know to be at his place in a couple hours. His wife and his daughter (my girlfriend at the time) would wash and pan fried them in butter while him and I sit at the table drinking beer and eating mushrooms until we was near sick...LOL Great memories of those times.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Fooey. Never enough time for everything. As usual, shrooms are coming at the same time as taxes, garden, and crappies. Combine that with an upswing in work and there is little or no time for hunting.

I'd be in the market for a couple pounds @ say $25 per, if anyone had freshly picked morrels.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    mush25.jpg
    Poisonous (false morel)

mush8.jpg
    Good morel

Edible Mushrooms

-Courtesy of MDC online -

False Morels (Helvella and Gyromitra spp.)

mush24.jpg
    mush25.jpg

Helvella sp. Gyromitra caroliniana

-Paraphrased from MDC online -

Monomethyl hydrazine (MMH) - poison in mushroom - causes diarrhea, vomiting and severe headaches, and occasionally it can be fatal.

False morels differ from true morels in two obvious ways:

1. The cap surface has lobes, folds, flaps or wrinkles, but it does not have pits and ridges like a true morel. You might say their caps bulge outward instead of being pitted inward.
    2. The bottom edge of the cap of a false morel hangs free around the stem, like a skirt. On true morels, the bottom edge of the cap is attached to the stem (see page 4).

False morels are found in spring, summer and fall, on the ground in woodlands.
    Note: Because these mushrooms have definitely caused deaths, we cannot recommend that you eat them. If you nevertheless choose to do so, they should be thoroughly cooked in a well-ventilated room, since MMH is driven off by heat. (MDC online, 2009)

Last edited:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    OK, so I am thinking about looking for some morels. I have never hunted mushrooms before, so I wanted your opinions. I read onlinethat an edible morel is hollow, and the poisonous is not. Is that correct?

..or, would a novice be better off (safer) just not doing it, lol.

If it looks like a sponge = GOOD

Does not look like a sponge = BAD

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    This weekend, with the rain now, then heat Thursday and Friday, ought to be mushroom heaven. Perfect weather, and a good winter for the spores. I'm blocking off Sunday for a lot of walking...

Top Bottom