Should Military Service be a Requirement for the office of President?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Military Service be a Requirement for the office of US President?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Should Active Duty Military Service be required in consideration of the job of United States President?

In the last 50 years:

Lyndon Johnson - Lt Commander US Naval Reserve, WWII Active Duty (1940-1964)
    Richard Nixon - Lt. Commander US Naval reserve, WWII Active Duty (1942-1966)
    Gerald R. Ford - Lt. Commander, US Naval reserve, WWII Active Duty (1942-1946)
    Jimmy Carter - Lt. US Navy, Active Duty Post WWII, (1946-1953)
    Ronald Reagan - Capt. US Navy, WWII Active Duty, (1942-1945)
    George HW Bush - Lt. (jg) US Navy, WWII Active Duty, (1942-1945)
    William Clinton - Did not serve
    George W. Bush - 1st Lt Texas Air Guard, 2 YRS Active Duty, (1968-1974)
    Barrack Obama - Did not serve

How many of the 2016 candidates have military experience? None.

In 2011 the 112th Congress had 90 vets in the House and 28 in the Senate.

This is 118 out of 535 or 22%

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    How can one be a commander in chief of our military forces if one has not served? nuff said.
    Because the Framers hated standing armies and wanted control of the military to be outside the military. They never envisioned anything like our current military and were actually adamantly opposed to it. That is why the Constitution has the weird military appropriations clauses it does.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Because the Framers hated standing armies and wanted control of the military to be outside the military. They never envisioned anything like our current military and were actually adamantly opposed to it. That is why the Constitution has the weird military appropriations clauses it does.

Well, there's that.

I'm fine with the Constitution as it now reads....if we could interpret it according to it's terms....that would be great too.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Concur with POTUS. How about SecDef and the service secretary, too. They have a much closer relationship with the services and serve as a buffer to POTUS. The current SECDEF and the three service secretaries are merely lapdogs to the CMOTUS (chief muslim of the United States) and are rendering our military means and personnel to near uselessness (except as a vehicle implementing social change issues).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

:yesway:

Making such a requirement would establish a de facto nobility, and in fact would mirror the rise of the medieval European nobility. No, I am not signing on to become a serf, thank you very much.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I prefer Heinlien's method service for citizenship! To be a full citizen with voting rights and such, military service is required.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It shouldn't be a requirement, but there's much a person can gain from the experience. Other things likewise. We've tried no qualifications whatsoever, and seen how that's worked out; I'd like to try someone who's been an Eagle Scout, a commissioned officer, the CEO/founder of a corporation, and a regular attendee of church who walks the walk, maybe governor of a state.

I'm not any of those things myself (except the walking part) but I can sure appreciate them. Not looking for perfect, but someone that can work for a goal, organize resources, remain calm under stress, that kind of thing. Kipling's whole "If". You get practice with those things in those places. Of course, he might still be a total nimrod, you'd have thought with all Carter's qualifications he wouldn't have been such a complete loser, but if I was doing job interviews I'd play the odds.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    It shouldn't be a requirement, but there's much a person can gain from the experience. Other things likewise. We've tried no qualifications whatsoever, and seen how that's worked out; I'd like to try someone who's been an Eagle Scout, a commissioned officer, the CEO/founder of a corporation, and a regular attendee of church who walks the walk, maybe governor of a state.

I'm not any of those things myself (except the walking part) but I can sure appreciate them. Not looking for perfect, but someone that can work for a goal, organize resources, remain calm under stress, that kind of thing. Kipling's whole "If". You get practice with those things in those places. Of course, he might still be a total nimrod, you'd have thought with all Carter's qualifications he wouldn't have been such a complete loser, but if I was doing job interviews I'd play the odds.

History has shown that some of the very worst administrations come from presidents that were Senators, while some of the most highly regarded have been Governors and not experienced in the ways of a congressional member. Interesting.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    While I certainly admire military service in a Presidential candidate, mandating it would not be good to the health of a Democracy. The beauty of Democracy is that, theoretically, a high school drop out could be elected.

Let's not go around establishing a military junta.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If military service was mandatory--visualize Switzerland or Israel--this wouldn't be an issue. As long as we have a volunteer military, service should not be a requirement for being president.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I think the fact no 2016 candidates have military service is reflective of the declining percentage of citizens who have served in the military over the last few decades.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    NO. I did not serve, but was certainly willing to. We have a VOLUNTEER army. If someone dodged the draft, I think that it is totally fair to take that fact into consideration when voting. But NO it should not be a requirement for a number of the reasons stated above.

Top Bottom