• ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have a Ruger GSR in .308 and it is a fantastic little rifle. I have a Leupold 2.5X EER scope on it, and happen to be one of the rare breed who actually likes that type of sight picture. I replaced the factory blast enhancer with a standard A2 type and added a stock bag. The rifle has given me good service, and I have no complaints.

On the other hand, I have really started to be drawn to the M1A Scout Squad. I bought the Ruger with the idea that it would be a do-all rifle, and it has done everything I have asked of it. But i feel "the itch", so to speak. Really, the M1A only gives me semi-auto, right?

Somebody talk me in to/out of it!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've always liked the design of the GSR. Having owned an M1A, I'd keep the GSR but I'm a bolt gun kind of guy. Your best option is to start socking money away and buy the M1A without selling the GSR.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You seem to have a rifle that you like.....Never get rid of a firearm you like. Always just save up until you can afford what you want.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You seem to have a rifle that you like.....Never get rid of a firearm you like. Always just save up until you can afford what you want.

This is solid advice.

The M1A is an awesome rifle. I own a scout squad variant myself, and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't do long distance stuff with mine, so I prefer the iron sights..which are wonderful. I actually removed the forward optic mount, that allowed me to replace the upper handguard with a solid walnut piece. I like it.

Don't sell your bolt gun to get one, though...just save up a little longer if you need to.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I bought a GSR, thought I wanted to replace it with a Scout Squad, bought the Scout Squad, sold it and kept the Ruger. The M1A didn't give me the accuracy I had grown to love with the GSR and just cost me more in ammo, because it's hard not to get a little trigger happy with a semi auto. Personally, I'd keep the GSR but obviously YMMV.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I absolutely love my scout squad. It's my do all battle rifle. I'm also an iron sight lover and the optic mount is no longer on mine. Wouldn't trade or sell it for anything.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've always liked the design of the GSR. Having owned an M1A, I'd keep the GSR but I'm a bolt gun kind of guy. Your best option is to start socking money away and buy the M1A without selling the GSR.

This is solid advice.

The M1A is an awesome rifle. I own a scout squad variant myself, and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't do long distance stuff with mine, so I prefer the iron sights..which are wonderful. I actually removed the forward optic mount, that allowed me to replace the upper handguard with a solid walnut piece. I like it.

Don't sell your bolt gun to get one, though...just save up a little longer if you need to.

I bought a GSR, thought I wanted to replace it with a Scout Squad, bought the Scout Squad, sold it and kept the Ruger. The M1A didn't give me the accuracy I had grown to love with the GSR and just cost me more in ammo, because it's hard not to get a little trigger happy with a semi auto. Personally, I'd keep the GSR but obviously YMMV.

I concur. Don't sell a gun unless you really DON'T like it. Be patient. Springfield isn't going to forget how to build them.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Owning 2xM1as I would say they hold no advantage over the GSR. If being a semi-auto is an advantage then that's it. The GSR is lighter, easier to scope, and more then likely will outshoot the M1a. If you really want a M1a, take the advice already given above and save up to buy the M1a.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This.
    I sold my GSR and now I has a sad......:(

But I do now have an accurized M1-A. Totally different animal.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've always

You seem to

This is solid

I bought a

Owning 2xM1as I

This is all solid, and I appreciate it; you have convinced me to the worth of keeping my GSR. It really is a sweet rifle. I actually got it out last night and practiced my dry firing. Reminded me of why I bought it in the first place: the rifle just "fits". Beats me why, but the offerings from Ruger always have. Mini-30, GSR, SP-101. . . . (I only have one of the three, but may eventually change that)

This may also be the most consensus I have ever seen on INGO! :)::rockwoot:

I will take your GSR to make your decision easier for you. :ar15:

Got an M1A to trade? Maybe do a temporary switch for a while? ;)

I absolutely love my scout squad. It's my do all battle rifle. I'm also an iron sight lover and the optic mount is no longer on mine. Wouldn't trade or sell it for anything.

Is there anything you DON'T like about it? Any quirks or whatnot? What made you choose that platform over all the rest?

This.
    I sold my GSR and now I has a sad......:(

But I do now have an accurized M1-A. Totally different animal.

What is an accurized rifle capable of? How much money did it take you to get there? What base rifle package, and why the M1A instead of something "easier", like a Larue or LMT?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Is there anything you DON'T like about it? Any quirks or whatnot? What made you choose that platform over all the rest?
    I don't like that it's so darn pretty that I'm afraid to scratch it. Doesn't bother me, but inserting the mag takes some getting use to. The biggest draw for me was the history and the looks. I shot an AR style 308 and didn't care for the recoil, just wasn't fun. Shot bolt 308s and the same thing, recoil turned me off. Not that I'm afraid of recoil, but this for me was meant as a battle rifle, so being able to get back on target quickly was a big factor. After shooting my m1a for the first time, I had the biggest grin on my face. Recoil was fun, the sound of a round clambering makes be giggle. I chose the scout length because the 22" is a little long for my purposes and I felt the 16" was a little short for what I wanted.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Down sides of the M1A over GSR... You will use more ammo up. The GSR, I will go slow. I might shoot it 20 times and be done. The M1A? Pfft... 20 rounds? That's only one mag, I'm just getting warmed up. I also felt the need to have 20+ mags since it's a battle rifle. Instead of a Lepold scout scope, I have a Mk IV. So I spent 3-4 times as much on my scope and rings.

Top Bottom