• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    If you want a 7.62 battle rifle, it is the one to get. Most guys run them with the too much gas and that's what dings the brass. I reload the cases that come out of mine with no problem. Get a DSA, Imbel, or spend the money and find a Belgium.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Like most rifles! Stay away from the Century Arms FAL sporters the two I had both where jamOmatics and would cracked brass (I was a kid at the time so it's hard to say for sure what was the problem was) but likely related to a out of spec locking piece/shoulder. Personally I'm in the market for a mid end DSA rifle but like other's have been saying it's hard to buy a FAL when PTR is selling G-3/Hk91 clones for $800-900 range

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I had a century years ago that ran just fine; guess I got lucky on that one!

I currently have a Coonan built 16" gun. I think of letting it go every once in awhile and then I go shoot it and fall in love all over again! Then I start buying/loading more ammo and looking for mags... They are great rifles. DSA's aren't cheap, but from what I read, they are your best current option to get a solid rifle.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I really like FALs, however they are big, heavy, long, moderately accurate rifles. As long as you don't have expectations of it being something else, you'll like it! I agree with everything stated above, however I'm going to vaguely muddy the waters for you a bit... DSA is generally a safe bet, and probably the best bet going, however they too are not without their quirks. If you browse Falfiles you will read some hate on some of the DSAs for various reasons. I opted when I was receiver shopping to go with Coonans (they somewhat recently ticked the Fal crowd off too though). I only interject this info to encourage you to do a little homework before buying, and if possible handle a rifle or two. If you went with a factory DSA, and not a home built something or other on a DSA receiver, I would think it would be GTG. I would think they would stand behind their product as well.

While I do my best to avoid Century stuff, some of the FALs were build on Canadian IMBEL receivers, and those seem to be good to go. They tend to be bastards (mine is an L1A1 with a metric mag cut-out), but are generally well received.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I like the looks of the FAL but don't know much about them. Anyone able to give me an education on them? Who makes a good one? Should I actively search for one?

The short answer is, yes.

The long answer is get a preban if you have an extra $5k burning a hole in your pocket. If not, check out the DSA FAL's.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dunno all the details, guy I know had it on table at show.
    Said all Argy, unfired.
    Was long bbl, reg stock. Plastic, not wood.
    Might still have it, thought price was 1500.

Might see him next week or so, will ask for details.
    Whatever his price is...........he won't budge I know that much.

Typical old grouch. Nice stuff though.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    Semi-auto 7.62 NATO are my favorite rifles. I have an HK91, SCAR 17, Valmet, 2 models of Galil's and 8 FAL's (6 complete and 2 kits). Of those, I built 4 of them and they all function as they should. More difficult than an AR build but with about $150 in tools pretty straight forward.

The SCAR is the softest shooter, suppresses well and is the most accurate of them all but is one of the few "new" firearms I own. I was born in 1970 and grew up loving the pre-bans and wanting to be a Green Beret.

The HK91 is the runner up in terms of accuracy but has the most kick even with a different buffer.

I don't shoot the Valmet or the Galil's much because they don't have optics.

To me, the FAL's history, look and ergonomics are the clear winner. No, they aren't going to shoot 1" MOA but they will routinely shoot 2". I have built on Imbel, Coonan, and DSA receivers. Go over to the FALFILES.COM for anything and everything you would ever want to know about the FAL. I have owned pre-ban Belgium models and still own a pre-ban Argie Para which is my favorite to take to the range. True, their triggers aren't the best but all of my FALS have stock triggers which is saying something considering my SCAR has the Geissele and the HK has a PSG trigger in it.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    YES! as many as you can! Im not kidding. I have a few now and love that rifle, I prefer it to the m14 because I cant get a good cheek weld or position on the m14/m21.

l1a1
    l1a2
    Israeli heavy barrel all wood
    stg-58

Top Bottom