• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    i was asking myself the same thing. wanting to build an sbr and wanting to suppress it. with a 300 blk you can get away with a shorter barrel without burning up the baffles in your suppressor because the powder burns out much quicker than a 223/556 round, 9" 300blk barrel vs 11.5" 556 barrel. also with the 300blk you can use subsonic ammo that will cycle your bolt whereas 556 subsonic rounds do not. factory ammo is not cheap, the cheapest i've bought it for was $16/box at cabelas for remmington subs (haven't bought any in bulk online yet just wanted a couple boxes) so this really is a reloaders cartridge but ammo is avail if you're willing to pay.

i chose this over a 556 sbr because
    - i wanted a very short sbr
    - i wanted my sbr as quiet as possible when suppressed
    - i wanted my bolt to cycle with subsonic ammo

i will still build a 556 sbr eventually but it won't perform as well in those stated categories.

I agree with all this.

I've ran some of the Remington and wasn't impressed. It was definitely louder than the Gemtech I also ran. I've started reloading and I'm starting with Hornaday 208's.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Yes..do it. I just finished my newly built 8.0" .300BLK SBR-

20150326_191403_zpspsrr62ya.jpg

It will eventually sport a Liberty Mystic, when the NFA branch approves my Form 4.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you want a very quiet AR, 300 BLK seems the way to go. It is basically a pistol round, using "pistol powders" like H110 or 296 and is effective with 8 to 10 inch pistol / SBR barrels.

I have been shooting sunsonic 300 BLK out of a suppressed AAC Rem Model 7, it's even quieter than an AR. Dry cycle an AR, the action noise is quite loud.

here is an article questioning the advantages of 300 BLK.

300 AAC Blackout.. I don't get it.

That article. Wow. Just, wow. The closest he gets to fact is almost spelling Hornady correctly. "Hornday" lol. Half of his complaint about the cartridge is about the history, and has nothing to do with performance. The performance he applies to the 300 BLK is actually 300 whisper. He complains about reliability, while openly admitting he was using a carbine length gas system, then calls the pistol length system wierd. This is just proof that anybody can write an article on the Internet. Some of these gun writers are no more informed than the keyboard commandos you find on forums. Sorry for the necro post.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Hey Heritage, what keymod handguard is that? How do you like the Battlelink stock? I'm considering using both of those parts on my 300 BO build.

Thanks

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    That particular keymod is the YHM KR7. I knew I wanted a keymod rail and I also wanted the dolos QD barrel system and with the new dolos 2.0 it will work with YHM rails that use the jam nut feature. I've been very happy with it

That minimalist stock is awesome. It's a super tight fit, like seriously, and is ultra light. I went with it specifically because I wanted the lightest stock available. I wasn't too fond of the aesthetics of it at first (when I look at a stock my mind tells me it should have some sort of triangularish shape) but it has really grown on me. Some people will take paracord and finish the triangle shape and I did that too at first but took it off. It also provides a fine cheek weld.

[video=youtube_share;W6RdF4ofgGU]http://youtu.be/W6RdF4ofgGU[/video]
    I'll post a better more in depth video of the 300blk when I get a chance for more filming

Top Bottom