• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Under no circumstances would a responsible gun owner wield a loaded weapon in a room with that many bystanders. Given that, there is no reason to have a loaded gun inside the show. None. I don't care how much inventory or $$$$ you have on hand. Load up outside of the exit if you are taking inventory or cash out.

This statement right here says it all!!!!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Deterrent ??

Sorry to all of the vendors, but I don't agree. I'm kind of surprised.

My understanding, coming into a show as a patron, is that there are no loaded guns, period. I'm disappointed to see vendors advocating carrying inside the venue. Given the incidents at the last couple of shows, all caused by vendors, this is surprising to me.

As I recall, there is a "Vendor Exit Only". Load up once outside that exit.

Under no circumstances would a responsible gun owner wield a loaded weapon in a room with that many bystanders. Given that, there is no reason to have a loaded gun inside the show. None. I don't care how much inventory or $$$$ you have on hand. Load up outside of the exit if you are taking inventory or cash out.

Every incident I've heard of started with a vendor and holstered gun.

With the $ spent by vendors on tables at the show, there should be enough to pay an on duty LEO at the vendors only door, with a full charged Rem. 870, as a deterrent to an assault on a vendor before they can "Lock+Load" on the way out with their $..Just my :twocents: worth..Bill.:dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Attention gun show vendors

Vendors......I think everybody understands your security issues when arriving to set up or when leaving. I'm talking outside the building and/or not during show hours here.

However, I'm sure some of us would like to know which vendors feel they must keep a loaded weapon in the show or who might grab an AR and slap in a loaded magazine when they hear a shot fired in the show. I'll only speak for myself but I would find this information very valuable. Please include the location where you are set up so I can STAY AS FAR FROM YOUR TABLE AS POSSIBLE! :noway:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    As I recall, there is a "Vendor Exit Only". Load up once outside that exit.

So you think it's safer for a vendor to handle a loaded gun just outside the doors? Let's see I worked the show for three days, that means I would have had to handle my gun 6 times, that 6 times that an AD or ND could have happened, compared to my gun in it's holster that I never touched in those same three days. I think my way is safer!

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    So you think it's safer for a vendor to handle a loaded gun just outside the doors? Let's see I worked the show for three days, that means I would have had to handle my gun 6 times, that 6 times that an AD or ND could have happened, compared to my gun in it's holster that I never touched in those same three days. I think my way is safer!
    So are you saying that you had a loaded firearm throughout the entire show, in violation of the policy set forth by the show?

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Requardless of policies.... I would guess that the amount of vendors with loaded firearms is way lower that the amount of patrons with loaded firearms..... and no I am not one...;)

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think my way is safer!

No doubt you are absolutely right, it is safer. The problem is that there is a rule (no loaded firearms in the show) that you agreed to follow when you become a vendor, you choose to ignore that rule. While that sits perfectly fine for you, the rest of us schleps are assuming that all the other folks in the gun show are generally ethical people who follow rules that they agree to follow. If I can't assume you are following a fairly clear and not inconsequential rule like no loaded firearms, then how am I to assume that you will follow any of the other rules that keep crap like this from happening.

The "I'm smart so I don't have to follow rule X" is exactly how a finger gets on the trigger of a loaded firearm in a crowd of several hundred.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

I think thats what the guy that shot his hand with his Glock said.....?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    No doubt you are absolutely right, it is safer. The problem is that there is a rule (no loaded firearms in the show) that you agreed to follow when you become a vendor, you choose to ignore that rule. While that sits perfectly fine for you, the rest of us schleps are assuming that all the other folks in the gun show are generally ethical people who follow rules that they agree to follow. If I can't assume you are following a fairly clear and not inconsequential rule like no loaded firearms, then how am I to assume that you will follow any of the other rules that keep crap like this from happening.

The "I'm smart so I don't have to follow rule X" is exactly how a finger gets on the trigger of a loaded firearm in a crowd of several hundred.

If you think I'm the only one that doesn't follow that rule then you will be disappointed, where exactly am I supposed to unload in a safe area? The parking lot? Right outside the door?

Do we really want a few hundred people loading guns when we walk out to our cars? I don't, keep it in your holster seems a much safer rule, yes some will disregard this rule also but that's life

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I think thats what the guy that shot his hand with his Glock said.....?

Does it really matter, he didn't follow the rule I always follow, don't touch your weapon in a crowd unless it's life or death, had he followed my much safer rule this wouldn't have happened.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    How about you just leave it in your car then?

Under what circumstance would you ever pull a gun inside that venue? As I said above, no responsible gun owner would ever wield a gun inside. So why even bring it in? Nothing good will come from having it. The only consequences are either bad, or none.

If you can give me one valid circumstance where you would consider unholstering that gun during the show, I'll discuss. Until then, I feel that you and all vendors with loaded guns in the show are just wrong and I will do my best to avoid your booths just out of principle.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Are you going to watch my car during the show? Maybe you aren't aware of the thefts that have happened at the fairgrounds, I don't leave anything of value in my car!

No I don't think I'll need it in the show but I might on the way home and there is no safe place to reload. I've been going to gunshows armed for over 20 years and have never had an negligent discharge, I think my way is plenty safe.

It really an easy fix for the show, one sand barrel on each side of the building, I'd walk the length of the building to load/unload.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    How about you just leave it in your car then?

Under what circumstance would you ever pull a gun inside that venue? As I said above, no responsible gun owner would ever wield a gun inside. So why even bring it in? Nothing good will come from having it. The only consequences are either bad, or none.

If you can give me one valid circumstance where you would consider unholstering that gun during the show, I'll discuss. Until then, I feel that you and all vendors with loaded guns in the show are just wrong and I will do my best to avoid your booths just out of principle.

One example, I believe an advertiser on this site had a man that they felt was dangerous at their table with a large knife in his hand, large knife, less than 5 feet away, I'd have my hand on my gun if I felt threatened in that situation

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    And what's your back stop? You trust that your shot would hit only him and not go beyond? What if you miss?

Am I the only one uncomfortable with the circumstance put forth above?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you think I'm the only one that doesn't follow that rule then you will be disappointed, where exactly am I supposed to unload in a safe area? The parking lot? Right outside the door?

Do we really want a few hundred people loading guns when we walk out to our cars? I don't, keep it in your holster seems a much safer rule, yes some will disregard this rule also but that's life

You're supposed to unload it the same place everyone else does. And no, I don't think you're the only one, it is obvious you are not as evidenced by some idiot putting a bullet through his hand and nearly bringing harm to those around him. This is my point, if you're willing to disregard a rule, what rule aren't you willing to ignore? At what point do you, to make a sale, pull out your loaded gun and start showing it off to a customer?

Essentially, you are breaking my trust. I trust that vendors have agreed to terms of conduct to attend the show, you are not keeping up your end of the bargain and thus, I don't trust you.

If you have issues as to your safety and the security of your merchandise, it is a very simple thing. Don't come to the show. But don't justify yourself by saying you have some reason to have more leeway since you're a vendor and your well being or valuables are at greater risk than Joe Average's attending the show.

Top Bottom