• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    In a word NO ... stick with published reloading recipes until you have a better handle on what you're doing. Even then, shotgun shell reloading doesn't generally vary from the recipes. Metallic reloading will have some variance as you tune your loads to a particular firearm, but I know of no recipes that substitute Pyrodex for a smokeless powder.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I was thinking waa12r wad from claybusters, 1 oz shot, 50 gr pyrodex and overshot card with roll crimp.
    i have six pounds of pyrodex and need to use it for something!!!!!!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    TJ, Slugs use a roll crimp in most cases with plastic hulls.

Ahhh … that explains it … I didn’t shoot slugs, only lead shot at clay targets.

I was thinking waa12r wad from claybusters, 1 oz shot, 50 gr pyrodex and overshot card with roll crimp.
    i have six pounds of pyrodex and need to use it for something!!!!!!

Dude, seriously, get a reloading manual and follow the printed recipes … exactly as printed. What you’re suggesting could cause you serious and quite possibly irreparable harm. Do you have a death wish? Should we have you put under a 72 hour watch?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Dude, seriously, get a reloading manual and follow the printed recipes … exactly as printed. What you’re suggesting could cause you serious and quite possibly irreparable harm. Do you have a death wish? Should we have you put under a 72 hour watch?

It truly has to make you wonder why so many new reloaders believe they have enough knowledge to just pick and choose what components they can simply toss togeather and shoot them.. It boggles my mind.

OP. Do yourself and others that are shooting around you a favor and go and take a reloading class..

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I thought this was a pretty common CAS loading. I was just unsure if the roll crimp with the plastic wad would spike pressure more than star crimp.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Please, as you've already been cautioned, don't just throw together some shotshell loads without using valid load data.
    There are enough old shotguns out there (Damascus steel barrels) out there that there are bound to be manuals available that will explain exactly how to load Pyrodex for them.
    Don't just assume that you know how to do it safely.
    If you can't find published load data using Pyrodex and you don't have a muzzle loader, why not put it up for sale and make a black powder shooter really happy in the process?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Cowboy action shooters have done this for years. When you say BB's are you talking steel? The common loads are for lead. Steel shot pellets are a whole different set of rules. I have no idea why you want to roll crimp with an over shot card. A common 8 point crimp is easy and reliable.

Try this as a start Pyrodex 12 gauge loads - THR

There will be a lot more information by searching cowboy action shooters.

Good luck.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yes, all my stuff is here, now just to put it where I want it again. That is the worst part of moving, all my stuff was where I wanted it, now, all packed in the garage like a jenga tower.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Lol.. I understand completely, I have a wall of boxes in my shop that are all unmarked from the move back to Indiana almost 4 years ago.
    After all this time you would think there's nothing worth while keeping after so many years.. And then I open a box and its something I just can't live without..

Top Bottom