• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    In my shadow maybe, but my loads are um…light…i mainly shoot idpa carry optics and my load needs to make power factor (125) and the last time they were chronograph’d one of my 3 failed (I think my crimp was off)

In steel challenge there is no power factor (and I don’t shoot uspsa, where there is a power factor)

In my czechmate, with that huge a$$ 4 port comp, my hand loads wouldn’t function the slide even if I had a 5 pound recoil spring, the manual that comes with it, they say you have to shoot 9mm major to make it function (feed the comp!) but I’ve read way too many bad things about 9 major to shoot it, hard on springs, hard on the gun, you can only safely reload 1 or 2 kinds of brass and that you can only use that brass once!
    :dunno:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    From what I’m understanding thus far, short answer.. no it wouldn’t. IF.. I stay running poly coated or longer projectiles no. It would affect running standard projectiles again though. If I understand correctly I’m basically just committing to one or the other be either doing or not doing the barrel reaming.
    That was kind of my point. Basically tying yourself to best accuracy with that specific round (which I can see if you are an avid handloader and that one round is what allows you to wring out the absolute best accuracy in that gun) but sacrificing accuracy with more common spec'd ammo.

Do the coated bullets perform that much better to make it worthwhile? I've never shot them so no experience on my side with them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don’t have gauge to get an actual diameter, but just naked eye comparison it’s most definitely isn’t the OAL, but does appear slightly thicker. I believe you’re right. Yeah I reached out the company and had to leave a voicemail but I’ll try again tomorrow.
    Go to harbor freight, local hardware store, Amazon etc you can get an inexpensive caliper to test with.

Limited-time deal: Digital Caliper, Adoric 0-6" Calipers Measuring Tool - Electronic Micrometer Caliper with Large LCD Screen, Auto-Off Feature, Inch and Millimeter Conversion https://a.co/d/b7S87v9

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It’s 25 on Dillon’s website, but if I were buying one today I’d get one that checks multiple rounds at once
    For my 9mm I used to use my CZ P10F chamber and make all fit it. However since I bought a Taurus G3x it's got a slightly tighter chamber so I now go with it for COL. I think one would be fine that way I can relying on it instead of the tightest chamber I currently own.

I thought about this one bit haven't heard if it's good to go or not. It has multiple calibers which would be helpful if it's accurate.

Lyman Ammo Checkers https://a.co/d/eXmv3s4

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    For my 9mm I used to use my CZ P10F chamber and make all fit it. However since I bought a Taurus G3x it's got a slightly tighter chamber so I now go with it for COL. I think one would be fine that way I can relying on it instead of the tightest chamber I currently own.

I thought about this one bit haven't heard if it's good to go or not. It has multiple calibers which would be helpful if it's accurate.

Lyman Ammo Checkers https://a.co/d/eXmv3s4
    I have a few of the multi Lymans in rifle calibers
    In 9mm and 45 acp I use one of the 100 rd Armanov gages.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It's a great way to check certain things, but it doesn't know what bullets ogives will chamber in certain guns.
    I would bet if those bullets were seated a few thousands deeper, they would function fine.
    This is the answer, CZs have notoriously tight chamber throats. The ogive on some bullets bottoms out in the lands. OAL alone will tell you nothing, you need to plunk test your rounds and seat the to the appropriate depth for your specific chamber.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    have patriot defense ream your chamber. I had to do that on with my shadow 2. I had to really load my coated bullets short to get them to plunk. Now I can make one bullet that works great in all my guns.

If there was any loss of accuracy I can't tell.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    My Canik rival and Taurus same exact issue. I reamed the freebore an extra .005. My most accurate pistol had a long freebore so not convinced it affects accuracy much. Seems like the newer generation of 9mm guns are on the short freebore bandwagon.Ymmv

Lee9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 10, 2023
    Columbus
    The
    My Canik rival and Taurus same exact issue. I reamed the freebore an extra .005. My most accurate pistol had a long freebore so not convinced it affects accuracy much. Seems like the newer generation of 9mm guns are on the short freebore bandwagon.Ymmv

That’s exactly what I need, anywhere local or near Indy Area that could help get that done with a decent turnaround. I’ve called some places and they didn’t seem to know what I was talking about. So Im not dropping my gun off at those places.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The

That’s exactly what I need, anywhere local or near Indy Area that could help get that done with a decent turnaround. I’ve called some places and they didn’t seem to know what I was talking about. So Im not dropping my gun off at those places.
    Might want to contact @Squirt239 or @AllenM and see if this is something either of them can do, or possibly ZR Tactical

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not so much with CZ, I have a 75 and an 85 that I've had since the late 80's that both have short throats in them.
    My Canik rival and Taurus same exact issue. I reamed the freebore an extra .005. My most accurate pistol had a long freebore so not convinced it affects accuracy much. Seems like the newer generation of 9mm guns are on the short freebore bandwagon.Y

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Are the Lyman multi calibers accurate?
    The ones I have are the orange aluminum one. I'm down in Sardis,Miss for a few days working on an aunts house.
    I want to say the ones I have are six hole 223 and 9mm. If you would like to try before you buy I can mail you a few different ones. I would say yes they are accurate.
    I Dillon / Midway? Stainless singles I have a bunch of those also.
    What I like about them is if the outside of the brass is out of spec, you know it.
    The 100 rd 9mm are the swizzle.
    You load it, tilt it and look and see if all are fully seated, flip the tray over and you can tell if all the bullets are seated the same.
    Open the right 100 rd plastic box and put it on top of the gage and flip it over to put them in a storage box.

Lee9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 10, 2023
    Columbus
    Update: so further investigation has shown this.
    Shadow 2 - fails plunk test
    Glock 17 gen 5 - fails plunk test
    Grabbed a random amount and hear what they look like. This explains more of the issue.
    @gassprint1 was right about QC.

Attachments

• IMG_2964.jpeg
      IMG_2964.jpeg
      383.9 KB · Views: 14

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The ones I have are the orange aluminum one. I'm down in Sardis,Miss for a few days working on an aunts house.
    I want to say the ones I have are six hole 223 and 9mm. If you would like to try before you buy I can mail you a few different ones. I would say yes they are accurate.
    I Dillon / Midway? Stainless singles I have a bunch of those also.
    What I like about them is if the outside of the brass is out of spec, you know it.
    The 100 rd 9mm are the swizzle.
    You load it, tilt it and look and see if all are fully seated, flip the tray over and you can tell if all the bullets are seated the same.
    Open the right 100 rd plastic box and put it on top of the gage and flip it over to put them in a storage box.

Thank you for the offer. I take your word for them being good to go. I'll buy me some.
    I just wanted to be sure they worked properly.
    I always suspected they should. It's Lyman right.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    The

I do my own barrel fitting and chambering. Mostly because I want things “out of the norm” unless it’s a uspsa gunsmith they usually just don’t get it.
    Good luck!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Update: so further investigation has shown this.
    Shadow 2 - fails plunk test
    Glock 17 gen 5 - fails plunk test
    Grabbed a random amount and hear what they look like. This explains more of the issue.
    @gassprint1 was right about QC.

Looks like the sizing die might be off, and the taper crimp might be off, but hey looks like the seating die is good!

Top Bottom