• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deadeye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Pulaski Co.
    1. is it legal to buy a handgun (ftf) in indiana from a resident of another state(illinois) while at home?
    2. is it legal to buy a long gun (ftf) in another state(kentucky) ?
    3. is it legal to sell a long gun (ftf) out of state(kentucky)?

No ffl involved in these questions. I have read the laws that i could find but i want to see if i have come to the correct answers.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    1. is it legal to buy a handgun (ftf) in indiana from a resident of another state(illinois) while at home?
    2. is it legal to buy a long gun (ftf) in another state(kentucky) ?
    3. is it legal to sell a long gun (ftf) out of state(kentucky)?

No ffl involved in these questions. I have read the laws that i could find but i want to see if i have come to the correct answers.

1. No.
    2. No.
    3. Maybe.

Any purchase involving a private party from out of state is illegal without the FFL Transfer. You can buy long guns at an FFL out of state, and I do believe that if they neighbor IN, you can walk out the store with it without shipping it home, not 100% on that. Handguns can only be picked up in state from your FFL or if bought out of state MUST be shipped to the FFL in the state. As for the sale, if the state neighbors IN, which KY does, it may be legal. My inclination is yes, because I do believe you can buy out of state long guns and walk out, so you should be able to trade/sell at the same time, presumably. I am not sure, and IANAL.

I could probably dig up the exact laws if you so desire, but either way, its not legal for a private transaction to occur between two people who do not reside in the same state without the involvement of an FFL.

deadeye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Pulaski Co.
    I will be attending court days in mt sterling, ky. I know several people that go and buy guns witout a ffl. I never bought any last year because i didnt know the law. Guess first order of bussiness will be finding a ffl to do transfers with.

I thought i was legal buying long guns. Thanks for the information.

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    i thought it was legal to buy or sell long guns in neighboring states without an ffl involved. illinois, michigan, ohio and kentucky. only with handguns does an ffl need to be involved.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    i thought it was legal to buy or sell long guns in neighboring states without an ffl involved. illinois, michigan, ohio and kentucky. only with handguns does an ffl need to be involved.
    ASSUMING you want to follow the law :ingo:

LONG GUNS can be bought at any FFL anywhere in the USA. The law USED TO BE only in surrounding states but now Indiana has changed its laws so for long guns you are legally able to buy a long gun in any state. However if you are doing a FTF long gun sale that must be an in-state transaction between two Indiana residents.

HAND GUNS can not be purchased FTF out of state. Handgun purchased from an FFL out of state must be 'transferred' into the state and picked up at an in-state FFL. However if you are doing a FTF hand gun sale tat must be an in0state transaction between to Indiana residents.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    I recently arranged a handgun transfer from Whittakers in Owensboro, KY to a local gunshop in Indiana. As I was discussing the details of how to arrange, my local guy offered to issue a letter that would designate me as his courier. This way, I could carry the handgun out of Whittakers to my local shop where he would do the transfer. Whittakers was aware of this allowance and was ready to accommodate. It's a long story, but I couldn't connect with my local guy before I went to Whittakers. So, the firearm was shipped to my local guy who then handled the transfer. But, it's a rule that I wasn't aware of and probably wouldn't have been if not for my local guy being so nice. BTW - local guy = Lance's Family Guns in Princeton.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Best way to cover your self..If your buying a long gun from out-of-state, and it borders In have him take it to a FFL, and you pay transfer, and buy gun!, if you're buying a handgun,and he's in a border states, ask him to bring it to a FFL here in Indiana, and pay the transfer, and you have a gun legal like. IMNSHO the BATFE should be worring about NOT selling guns to druglords, and leave us alone...If I want to trade with my buddy from work who lives in Ky, I should not have to worry about BS laws, but that ain't the way it is.. keep it legal to cover your posterior...good luck to you

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Best way to cover your self..If your buying a long gun from out-of-state, and it borders In have him take it to a FFL, and you pay transfer, and buy gun!, if you're buying a handgun,and he's in a border states, ask him to bring it to a FFL here in Indiana, and pay the transfer, and you have a gun legal like. IMNSHO the BATFE should be worring about NOT selling guns to druglords, and leave us alone...If I want to trade with my buddy from work who lives in Ky, I should not have to worry about BS laws, but that ain't the way it is.. keep it legal to cover your posterior...good luck to you

As far as Indiana is concerned, the "bordering states" thing was repealed this past July. It was part of SEA94:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...new_laws_in_the_2011_legislative_session.html

timber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    What is the law on relatives is it any different, brother to brother or cousin to cousin.I live in Kentucky and my cousin lives in Illinois and I want ot buy one of his pistols.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    ASSUMING you want to follow the law :ingo:

LONG GUNS can be bought at any FFL anywhere in the USA. The law USED TO BE only in surrounding states but now Indiana has changed its laws so for long guns you are legally able to buy a long gun in any state. However if you are doing a FTF long gun sale that must be an in-state transaction between two Indiana residents.

HAND GUNS can not be purchased FTF out of state. Handgun purchased from an FFL out of state must be 'transferred' into the state and picked up at an in-state FFL. However if you are doing a FTF hand gun sale tat must be an in0state transaction between to Indiana residents.

^^ this ^^

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What is the law on relatives is it any different, brother to brother or cousin to cousin.I live in Kentucky and my cousin lives in Illinois and I want ot buy one of his pistols.

Timber, weclome to INGO. Read melensdad's post that I just quoted one post up. It applies equally to relatives. Any transfer across state lines requires an FFL.

The only time it doesn't apply is if you are the legal heir (either by will or intestate succession) of someone's firearms, and it's legal for you to own them in your home state. In that case, you go to their house (or whoever is holding your property), you unload them, put them in the trunk of your car and take them home.

NFA items excepted.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom