• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    My uncle used to live in a house that belonged to Jim Jones (the writer) and it had a couple of secret rooms. You could push a button behind the bar and the wall could be opened revealing a 10x12 or so room. There was also a large picture (at least 4x6) up on a wall that would also open to reveal another room (again about 10x12).

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    This thread is actually a great idea!

We need a companion thread that has people post pictures of all their guns, ammo and preps too!!

That would be sweeeeet!

:yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everyone's familiar with the ol' twist the sconce and the fireplace opens up, or pull the book out at an angle and the bookcase opens up, but something that I've never seen, or saw but didn't process, is the magnetic reed switch. Say the switch half is hidden in a drilled out pocket in the woodwork. The magnet half if hidden in the spine of a book of a given title. To open the bookcase, just rearrange the books so that THAT volume is next to THAT piece of woodwork, and *click*, the bookcase opens up. No amount of visual/tactile examination will discover either the switch or the magnet. It's witchcraft! Maybe an electric/magnetic field meter would pick up one or the other, but both?

Oh, and watch the places where your magic moving furniture might rub up against the walls or over the floor, even on rollers. Even the slightest touch, over many actuations, will leave tattle tale marks for observant people to note and cogitate upon.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Everyone's familiar with the ol' twist the sconce and the fireplace opens up, or pull the book out at an angle and the bookcase opens up, but something that I've never seen, or saw but didn't process, is the magnetic reed switch. Say the switch half is hidden in a drilled out pocket in the woodwork. The magnet half if hidden in the spine of a book of a given title. To open the bookcase, just rearrange the books so that THAT volume is next to THAT piece of woodwork, and *click*, the bookcase opens up. No amount of visual/tactile examination will discover either the switch or the magnet. It's witchcraft! Maybe an electric/magnetic field meter would pick up one or the other, but both?

Very similar to using the magnet cabinet locks used to "child proof" kitchen and bathroom cabinets.

-J-

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    The reed switch idea works great when the reed is finished inside the drywall or wood trim. It can be activated with a small magnet on your keychain. (if you know the location) If the control circuitry is low current, it would be extremely hard to detect. A photocell located someplace that would be unaffected by ambient light could accomplish the same thing.

Oh, and watch the places where your magic moving furniture might rub up against the walls or over the floor, even on rollers. Even the slightest touch, over many actuations, will leave tattle tale marks for observant people to note and cogitate upon.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I may or may not have built in a secret room in an unfinished basement in the house where I may or may not have lived before.

This room might have been behind a workbench. There may have been a swinging door under the bench opening to a small space. Basically, the bench might have been bumped out from the back wall by a couple of feet. This might have created a hidden storage space. Nobody that ever saw the room before the bench was installed ever said a word. I assume they didn't even notice.

The door access was controlled by a wire and a couple of pullies. The way the door hung, it would swing up by itself when the string was pulled. The string was the affixed in a hidden location under the bench. Of course this is all made up and never actually existed.

Top Bottom