Science fiction fans: Help identifying these stories?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I read these quite a while ago, and I'd like to read them again.

1. This one has been on my mind since this whole covid crap started. It's centered around some organism, possibly extraterrestrial, that attaches itself to humans and takes control over their minds for some nefarious purpose. To combat this, the government mandates that all clothing people wear must be transparent. People willingly comply, basically continuing life naked in see-through clothing. Then, I think, they find a woman walking around with her hand in her opaque purse, and one of these organisms is attached to her hand, so they ban carrying anything that isn't transparent.

2. I've posted this one online on several different forums over the years, some of them sci-fi literature specific, and have never gotten an answer. The basic premise is that humans colonialize a planet that is populated by orange-skinned humanoids. A human and an extraterrestial fall in love. The colony treaty requires that humans never enter the extraterrestrials' places of worship, possibly called temples. The main human in the story is caught at one of the temples and is in big trouble. He and his lover flee. Of course, what they don't realize is that he wasn't sneaking in to the temple, he was sneaking out. He reveals this to his extraterrestrial love interest, and she kills him, because he has discovered the secret that on a planet that has bodies of mostly salt water, the natives can only mate and reproduce in fresh water. This could be exploited if it became widely known among humans, so she chooses the future of her specieas over her personal happiness. Good lesson there.

Any help would be appreciated, and I hope to stimulate some conversation about science fiction literature here, even if I don't get any answers.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I read these quite a while ago, and I'd like to read them again.

1. This one has been on my mind since this whole covid crap started. It's centered around some organism, possibly extraterrestrial, that attaches itself to humans and takes control over their minds for some nefarious purpose. To combat this, the government mandates that all clothing people wear must be transparent. People willingly comply, basically continuing life naked in see-through clothing. Then, I think, they find a woman walking around with her hand in her opaque purse, and one of these organisms is attached to her hand, so they ban carrying anything that isn't transparent.

2. I've posted this one online on several different forums over the years, some of them sci-fi literature specific, and have never gotten an answer. The basic premise is that humans colonialize a planet that is populated by orange-skinned humanoids. A human and an extraterrestial fall in love. The colony treaty requires that humans never enter the extraterrestrials' places of worship, possibly called temples. The main human in the story is caught at one of the temples and is in big trouble. He and his lover flee. Of course, what they don't realize is that he wasn't sneaking in to the temple, he was sneaking out. He reveals this to his extraterrestrial love interest, and she kills him, because he has discovered the secret that on a planet that has bodies of mostly salt water, the natives can only mate and reproduce in fresh water. This could be exploited if it became widely known among humans, so she chooses the future of her specieas over her personal happiness. Good lesson there.

Any help would be appreciated, and I hope to stimulate some conversation about science fiction literature here, even if I don't get any answers.

Is #1 possibly the "Puppet Masters" by Robert A. Heinlein?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Read PM many years ago, but did not remember the order to citizens to essentially go naked.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Is #1 possibly the "Puppet Masters" by Robert A. Heinlein?
    And here I was going to have to go and find that book...They all walk naked into the space ship that "came to rescue them" just a little bit ahead of schedule...self loading naked snacks for the shape shifting aliens.

Why do they have to load naked? The clothes are not on the menu.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Tagging on, Analog short story, involving M48 tank, Vietnam and a shot down UFO.
    It read like something from Joe Haldeman. But I can't find anything on it.

MH
    I remember something about an M113 from Vietnam going back to a medieval timeline, a la Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court.

Tagging on to the crowdsourcing, I may have mentioned this one before, but I remember a short story about humans colonizing an alien planet and finding a sentient society with some advanced tools that they didn't really understand. They were able to communicate, though, and helped the humans establish a colony. As the humans farmed, they found certain pests problematic. The aliens helped them bring in the natural predators for the pests. But those also caused problems. So the aliens helped bring in organisms to fight that. After several iterations, the aliens had the humans bring in the things that killed and ate the humans. So the humans left, leaving behind advanced (to the aliens) technology that the aliens didn't really know how to use.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I'm in a similar position, where I remember reading a story where the US civilian population self-medicates all day to relive pleasurable memories, and the US is so indebted to (I believe) Japan that the US military are now fighting wars for the Japanese.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm in a similar position, where I remember reading a story where the US civilian population self-medicates all day to relive pleasurable memories, and the US is so indebted to (I believe) Japan that the US military are now fighting wars for the Japanese.
    That sounds like "Flashback" by Dan Simmons.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    #2 is a mystery to me. Think I'd remember that one.

At this time I'm going back through David Weber books, presently in "By Heresies Distressed", the tale of humans that were placed on the planet Safehold and memory wiped into a pre-steam power level of technology.

I want to try out one of those Safehold peep sighted sniper-recon unit large caliber flintlock rifles shooting heavy hollow base slugs.
    :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That sounds really similar, but I believe that the protagonist was female in the story I read
    Ah, okay. The part about everyone "medicating" themselves to relive past experiences is what rang a bell for me. In Simmons' book, the drug they were using was actually called "flashback". It's a relatively recent book though, so he could very well have borrowed the premise from the story you're thinking of.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya OakRiver - the good memory part of the description kinda sounds like the Kids in the Hall movie "Brain Candy." Also, are you a Doctor Who fan? It has vibes of something connected to that.

Top Bottom