SBR's and Machine Guns not protected by 2A.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You know I didn’t believe that when I first read it but you are right. I never knew.
    But I did love me some Ronald Regan.
    Could you imagine if he were here now and saw what happened to his beloved USA
    Honestly? He'd probably want to start with tar and feathering Newsom, prosecuting him as a traitor in some way or another, and move on from there... And it seemed that everyone loved him for bankrupting the soviet union--I wasn't old enough at the time to realize he planted the seeds for bankrupting US at the same time. Tripling the national debt with the military spending that crippled the russians trying to keep up with our spending...it worked, but we're STILL bleeding cash, as the DC critters never seem to slow down our spending. Once those flood gates opened, they never seem to even try closing 'em.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Honestly? He'd probably want to start with tar and feathering Newsom, prosecuting him as a traitor in some way or another, and move on from there... And it seemed that everyone loved him for bankrupting the soviet union--I wasn't old enough at the time to realize he planted the seeds for bankrupting US at the same time. Tripling the national debt with the military spending that crippled the russians trying to keep up with our spending...it worked, but we're STILL bleeding cash, as the DC critters never seem to slow down our spending. Once those flood gates opened, they never seem to even try closing 'em.
    I was more than old enough. Its not just DC spending excess money, look no father then the unnecessary funds that the city you live in spend each year.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I don’t fault Reagan for the machine gun issue, that much. The Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act, aka FOPA, was a pretty good bill until the Hughes Amendment.

It was intended to stop a lot of the democrat overreach, and allowed us to travel state to state, and forbid the federal government from having a registry.

The democrats have sidestepped most of the good, while cherishing the bad, and we have allowed it to happen. I just don’t fault Reagan that much for US allowing it to happen.

If we had a real Supreme Court that wasn’t legislating from the bench back then, the Hughes amendment would have been overturned. But, it wasn’t, and here we are.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If we had a real Supreme Court that wasn’t legislating from the bench back then, the Hughes amendment would have been overturned. But, it wasn’t, and here we are.

If we had a real Supreme Court for the last almost hundred years, "shall not be infringed" would still be the law of the land as our founding fathers intended. Which is really worse, legislating from the bench or ignoring blatantly anticonstitutional laws and refusing to rule against them?

Not a legal scholar, and it's too early with too little coffee for me to try digging...yes, I'm too lazy right now... but surely SOMEbody had a court case between now and 1934 that the supreme court could have...should have completely and utterly clarified the 2nd amendment trumped any congressional BS????

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As I remember it, Reagan was not happy when he found out that the Hughes Amendment was added to the bill. Evidently he did not know it was added. Look at the Firearm Owners Protection Act and many will find out they actually benefited from it.

Yes, it is too bad that Reagan did not check the Act over before signing it.

And yes, it should never have come to that as Shall Not Be Infringed is pretty self-explaining.

Top Bottom