• ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Forgive me if this has been asked recently I didn't see it,

At some point in the future is like to make an SBR. I have a lot of questions hopefully INGO can answer them. Google is just turning up lots of contradiction.

The 2 questions I have right now are as follows, I'm sure I'll more when I actually get around to doing it in a year or 2.

1. when filling out the form, and your asked what barrel length you intend on having. Once approved is that barrel length relevant? For instance if I have a sbrd lower can I swap a 10.5 and 16 inch upper out as I want to or if I have multiple sbr length uppers or am I limited to what is put on the form?

2. Do you have to be 21 to get a form approved?

Thanks

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My understanding is you can put any "longer barrel" upper on it, as long as you can go back to original "approved" length.

I'm not an expert, but that's what I understood from my research when I first started.

Not sure about 21, quick google search should suffice.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    1. You can change out uppers or barrel lengths on it after approved. It doesn't matter if it's longer or shorter as long as you can revert back to the original configuration on your Form 1. If you are making a permanent change to the length, such as selling the 10.5" barrel that you listed on the form and installing a 7.5" barrel you would need to notify the ATF of the change in writing.

2. No, I had Form 1s approved at 18yo.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm just gonna hacksaw the ends off a couple of barrels, one for 5.56 and one for 300. The form one I downloaded has given me a headache so far; I can just tell I'm going to need some guidance. I was just kidding about the hacksaw.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    an SBR without a suppressor is totally senseless.

Why do you think that? That is not true at all... Maybe for certain calibers I could see this statement holding some truth but there are many reasons to have a sbr with or without a suppressor.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Why do you think that? That is not true at all... Maybe for certain calibers I could see this statement holding some truth but there are many reasons to have a sbr with or without a suppressor.
    In fact, many people might even say, "What's the point?" of having an SBR with a suppressor. Especially if you are trying to get the smallest possible size. Suppressors are usually 4-8" in length, which isn't exactly easy to hide when it's hanging off the end of the barrel.

With that being said, I have a suppressed 300 BLK that I'm going to SBR very shortly. So obviously I'm in the SBR+suppressor camp.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    In fact, many people might even say, "What's the point?" of having an SBR with a suppressor. Especially if you are trying to get the smallest possible size. Suppressors are usually 4-8" in length, which isn't exactly easy to hide when it's hanging off the end of the barrel.

With that being said, I have a suppressed 300 BLK that I'm going to SBR very shortly. So obviously I'm in the SBR+suppressor camp.

Yep throw a suppressor on a sbr and its going to be about the same length as a non sbr rifle. That is exactly what I am getting at. So many reasons to have a shorter barrel and not all of them have anything to do with having a can or not. Heck if you wanted to you could effectively argue it the other way. There is no point in getting a suppressor without a short barreled rifle (Also not true though, heck I want to put my can on a long barreled bolt gun!).

I am right with you on the 300blk thing, doing just that myself.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Yep throw a suppressor on a sbr and its going to be about the same length as a non sbr rifle. That is exactly what I am getting at.

well think about it the other way, if you throw a suppressor on a 16" AR, it's gonna be pretty long stick.

and, what do you think about shooting 10" AR without a suppressor, or shooting next to a guy shooting SBR without a suppressor. I've done both, it wasn't pleasant.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    well think about it the other way, if you throw a suppressor on a 16" AR, it's gonna be pretty long stick.

and, what do you think about shooting 10" AR without a suppressor, or shooting next to a guy shooting SBR without a suppressor. I've done both, it wasn't pleasant.

A 10" AR-15? I think they are rather tame. I shoot my 12.5" .308 SBR regularly without a suppressor or blast shield and it has a brake on it. It's actually pretty fun and friends/family request to shoot it when we have our get togethers.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

I just think you have had bad experiences. My 8.5" 300 blk with a brake is very mild, even standing next to it while others are shooting.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I have both 10.5" 300BLK and 5.56. 300BLK isn't in the same league as 5.56 in terms of concussive blast. 15grains of pistol powder vs. 25 grains of rifle powder, 1800fps vs 3000fps(I load my 300BLK with 150gr FMJ).

The very first time I took my SBR out was at BGF(before the fire), I got plenty of stink eye from others and they moved me to the far end lane by my own request. flames were coming out 2 feet left, right and up.

A good FH may help, but they are not cheap.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have both 10.5" 300BLK and 5.56. 300BLK isn't in the same league as 5.56 in terms of concussive blast. 15grains of pistol powder vs. 25 grains of rifle powder, 1800fps vs 3000fps(I load my 300BLK with 150gr FMJ).

The very first time I took my SBR out was at BGF(before the fire), I got plenty of stink eye from others and they moved me to the far end lane by my own request. flames were coming out 2 feet left, right and up.

A good FH may help, but they are not cheap.

Love shooting my 10.5 SBR in 5.56 unsuppressed. With the Battlecomp 2.0 it definitely makes itself known at the range. Though I really don't shoot at indoor ranges........ Why not have an SBR, standard M4 and an SPR :rockwoot:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I'm primarily building with minimum length with suppressor in mind, but heck, I might build some more uppers for just shortness. Even SBR another lower. This stuff's starting to get fun.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    here is a picture of friend of mine having some fun with the 10.5 mentioned above.

attachment.php

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

True but it all depends on it's intended use. And some SBRs are intended to be short so putting a can on it defeats the purpose. I can say though, it is best to have both that's for sure. No matter the reason!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got a fantastic picture of a fireball that's going a couple feet in every direction on a 10.5" 5.56 and a dynacomp I believe. However, t's on my external hard drive though, I'll have to upload it another time, it's impressive

Top Bottom