• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i say FAL, i got bit by the .308 bug and ended up getting a thumbhole sporter off the classifieds for $650 a while back. I think more people are catching on about the thumbholes with the Imbel receivers so their prices will be higher, $7-900 from what ive seen. If i could do it again i would just have bought a DSA, after US parts count, headspacing issues, and getting the barrel crowned with flash hider ive got $1k in it now. Live and learn. 20 round mags are available, and moses on FalFiles is working on a polymer US made 20 rnd mag, he also plans on making a 25 round mag as well i believe. He's very close to having the mold done to start making them too; lots of knowledge on that board. There is a guy on there who's put something like 15,000 rounds through his Fal without cleaning it over a period of years too, just lubes it, "Ol DIrty". From everything ive read, once its running, they keep on going. Average MOA is in the 1-3in range depending on ammo. JGSales.com consistently has Century Fals for like $650 if your looking to save money, they use investment cast receivers vs DSA guns are made of forged barstock that's heat treated; forged Imbel receivers are the most prized but those tend to fetch a higher price. I think the forged receivers are supposed to last something like 60 or 80,000 rounds before cracking around the locking shoulder, so a cast probably wouldn't last that long, but if you could afford that much .308 than buying another FAL probably wouldn't be an issue.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    When you go parachute shopping do you look for the cheapest or the one with proven performance :dunno:

Proven performance?

FAL having moreso than the AK action? What have you been smoking...

Calling the FAL more accurate is quite off as well. The saiga 308 has a heavier receiver and trunion design than the normal AK action. It also has a fairly heavy barrel, and if you're running the correct bullet weight with a decent load it's capable of 2-3MOA(At worst) at 300 yards.

As for which is more expensive... There's a ton of different FALs out there, and only one saiga.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I have owned a .308 Saiga custom, and currently own a FAL.

For less money, the Saiga will serve with AK reliability for hunting/plinking/combat accuracy and in my opinion, seems to be a little lighter in weight.

To own and possibly collect a reliable pleasing to the eye working piece of military battle rifle history, then get a FAL.

By a little stretch of the imagination, these (2) rifles are cousins in action design.

The Saiga is pretty much one grade, while the FAL has a wide range of grades with varying prices.

The Saiga is Eastern world and the FAL Western. To the eye of this beholder, one perfunctionary and the other an art form. lol

You should handle and shoot both rifles, before deciding. A person would do well with either rifle.

Good luck.

Last edited:

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Looked at a Saiga .308 today and didn't like the safety selector switch location. Look into it to make sure you're ok with it before you would go that route.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Honest-to-God FN-FAL rifles??... Or a close approximation / clone that was imported and/or built by Century Arms International?

'Cause unless you happened upon them in a shop/pawn shop that just didn't know what you had; or had a buddy hard-up for money, you can't just get an FN-FAL for less than $500. Unless it's a POS and/or parts gun.

-J-

Okay, now I'm confused. Isn't Saiga a clone also?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    No, a saiga is neutered, but its not a clone. They are as close to the real deal as you can get, more or less, made in the same factory as the military issue AK-74s.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    No, a saiga is neutered, but its not a clone. They are as close to the real deal as you can get, more or less, made in the same factory as the military issue AK-74s.

Isn't it a clone if it doesn't have the same parts that the original ones have?
    It would have to have some parts different to shoot a different caliber. Plus it has to be "neutered" and Americanized so there's different parts for that.
    It's semi auto, not full auto more parts changed.
    So at what point is it no longer the real deal, but a clone?

(Not trying to stir that pot, just make good a old fashion gun discussion)

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Isn't it a clone if it doesn't have the same parts that the original ones have?
    It would have to have some parts different to shoot a different caliber. Plus it has to be "neutered" and Americanized so there's different parts for that.
    It's semi auto, not full auto more parts changed.
    So at what point is it no longer the real deal, but a clone?

(Not trying to stir that pot, just make good a old fashion gun discussion)

IMO, as long as the main functional pieces are in place, it's not a clone. The argument with the Saiga would then be over the trigger as the barrel, bolt and carrier, and receiver are made in the same factory as "real" AK's.

That's just the standard that I go by, others may have a different opinion.:twocents:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    IMO, as long as the main functional pieces are in place, it's not a clone. The argument with the Saiga would then be over the trigger as the barrel, bolt and carrier, and receiver are made in the same factory as "real" AK's.

That's just the standard that I go by, others may have a different opinion.:twocents:

Here's something to ponder. (maybe I'm stirring the pot a little on this one:)) So if I had a rifle, any rifle, and I take the barrel, bolt/carrier and receiver and put all copy cat parts on it I wouldn't have have a copy cat?

IMO, and it's just opinion. All of them are copy cats, some are just better built than others or have more original parts.

Top Bottom