SA with a DA revolver in self def not good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I saw a video w Hickok45 and he said you shouldnt use single
    action with a double action revolver in a self defence shooting.

Why is that?

Thanks, Jimmy

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Well, I can't say as to why HE said that. But one opinion may be that you shouldn't count on being able to use single action in a self defense situation. In other words you should be proficient in using the double action trigger pull.

The SA pull is nice and will give you nice tight groups but most aren't able to manipulate it fast enough to be effective. That's not saying its impossible.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    i think i recently saw this video as well i thought i remembered him saying it was because if you are being attacked you wont have time to think to pull back the hammer into SA mode

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have heard the argument made that it could prove intent to kill if you took the time to shoot SA with a SA/DA revolver. I have never read this anywhere to validate it, but at least in my instance its a moot point, as I carry a Smith 442. My wife could run into this, but she has proven more accurate shooting her .44 in DA over SA anyway, so it would be a pointless waste of time for her.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I believe I remember Mas Ayoob and many of the other gun writers commenting on this in the "olden days". The thought was that cocking the hammer could be seen as "something" more than just self defense. I suspect this might be the case in areas that are more anti-gun than Indiana. It seems like I remember Mas Ayoob relating a case where something like this happened.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    I have heard the argument made that it could prove intent to kill if you took the time to shoot SA with a SA/DA revolver.

just how in the heck are they going to find this out after the fact? such a miniscule detail is dang near impossible to notice in a gunfight. if someone is shooting at you, you are going to look for a way out, a hole to hide in, or a weapon with which to kill them back, not to see if they have pulled back their hammer. it seems like a moot point for everyone. I could get behind the logic of not practicing with first shot SA though, that is one less step to worry about when you are in competition to retain or forfeit your life.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have heard the argument over not using a SA revolver many times over the years with all sorts of different angles. Most being legal issues and whatnot like the issues posted before me.
    Another reason is that when you cock the hammer on a revolver you get a "hair trigger" so they say, which can be easier to discharge the weapon when you don't intend to under a high stress situation.
    I have heard several different reasons why not to use SA in defense and some of them can make some sense. Just more proof that it is important to train and practice with what you carry. Know your weapon and know how to use it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you end up not needing to shoot, decocking a revolver safely while all jacked up on adrenaline could be an issue. Reholsterig without decocking could be even more of a concern.

I don't buy into the perception of it being an issue in court if the shooting is justified, but just seems that it would not be a good practice for gun handling in a stressful situation.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Hey, Dirty Harry cocked his "most powerful handgun in the world" .44 magnum. That's good enough for me.

Besides, what does Jerry Miculek and did Jim Cirillo (and BIll Jordan, and Jelly Bryce, and...) know about shooting revolvers?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    IIRC there was an article by Mas Ayoob some years ago about this sort of happening. The shooter was in a position where a self defense shooting was justified. The problem was he cocked the revolver into SA mode and then admitted the gun then fired accidently. He was convicted of some charge that would have been moot if just pulling the trigger in DA to stop the threat. Jim.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    As long as you don't accidentally pull the trigger because it is lighter in SA mode, no difference. And if you do accidentally pull the trigger, don't say that!

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Correct me if I'm wrong....But, back in the days when all the police departments carried revolvers.....when they repeatedly qualified....didn't they have to shoot DA only??

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have heard the argument made that it could prove intent to kill if you took the time to shoot SA with a SA/DA revolver. I have never read this anywhere to validate it, but at least in my instance its a moot point, as I carry a Smith 442. My wife could run into this, but she has proven more accurate shooting her .44 in DA over SA anyway, so it would be a pointless waste of time for her.

just how in the heck are they going to find this out after the fact? such a miniscule detail is dang near impossible to notice in a gunfight. if someone is shooting at you, you are going to look for a way out, a hole to hide in, or a weapon with which to kill them back, not to see if they have pulled back their hammer. it seems like a moot point for everyone. I could get behind the logic of not practicing with first shot SA though, that is one less step to worry about when you are in competition to retain or forfeit your life.

Learn how to quote from ABC News did ya?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom