• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I had a half day off work today. I figured the only way for me to settle "the caliber dispute" in my own personal bubble was to do my own testing. So I took the the three pistols that work well for me this time of year and headed off to the range at my LGS. I fired three, nine round strings ,three rounds at a time at about 10 yards at 6 inch targets. I tried to be deliberate as to not influence my shooting from one gun to the next. Here's what I noticed. In the end, the 9MM went 24 for 27, the 40 S&W(Glock 23) went 22 for 27, and the Glock 30S(45ACP) came in at 18 for 27. After that was finished, I continued to shoot with each of them randomly for about the next hour. I finished the session by putting up the same sized (6 inch) target I used for the earlier test one at a time for each pistol. I shot 5 rounds with each at about the same pace as I did with the test. I went 5 for 5 with each of them. There is nothing scientific about what I did. I made this test up as I went. I can tell you that what I took away from the session was that I think that I would have better results in the event I had to use the 9MM for self defense because my results were better with it when I first started off cold at the beginning of the range session. Anyway, it still beat the hell out of working a whole day!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I had a half day off work today. I figured the only way for me to settle "the caliber dispute" in my own personal bubble was to do my own testing. So I took the the three pistols that work well for me this time of year and headed off to the range at my LGS. I fired three, nine round strings ,three rounds at a time at about 10 yards at 6 inch targets. I tried to be deliberate as to not influence my shooting from one gun to the next. Here's what I noticed. In the end, the 9MM went 24 for 27, the 40 S&W(Glock 23) went 22 for 27, and the Glock 30S(45ACP) came in at 18 for 27. After that was finished, I continued to shoot with each of them randomly for about the next hour. I finished the session by putting up the same sized (6 inch) target I used for the earlier test one at a time for each pistol. I shot 5 rounds with each at about the same pace as I did with the test. I went 5 for 5 with each of them. There is nothing scientific about what I did. I made this test up as I went. I can tell you that what I took away from the session was that I think that I would have better results in the event I had to use the 9MM for self defense because my results were better with it when I first started off cold at the beginning of the range session. Anyway, it still beat the hell out of working a whole day!

Nice test...and a 1/2 day at the range definitely beats working!

Doing 'head-to-head' comparisons is the best way to determine which caliber/pistol works best for you.

Each one of us is different and handles + responses to recoil differently...and EDCing the one that is the most 'natural + comfortable' matters!

I did a similar test in 2013...conducted at a distance of 21' / 7 meters...and found that my 'preference' for an EDC pistol was the Glock 36...I shot it best (consistently and most accurately) right out of the box. The Glock 19 and Glock 23 (both Gen II models that I purchased still 'NIB' in 2010 from an FFL dealer's 'new old stock') came in behind the .45 acp. The Glock 36 has been my EDC pistol ever since...love it!

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Heh...my OCD prevents me from getting more than one gun dirty at a time! I wont even holster a dirty gun. I even wrap dirty guns in a blue shop towel before they go in the rug.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I will probably repeat that test in the fall, with one difference. It will be with full size guns. I don't have a full size 45 ACP so it will be an FNS 9 vs. an M&P 40. Really looking forward to it even as I sit here now.

Mattdville16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2016
    Lizton
    Just did a shoot out with the 43 and 9 shield smith definitely has less recoil I was a little more accurate with it as well. Little off subject but the shield is pretty good in any caliber. I have two glocks love them as well. But smith has came out with a pretty dang nice gun here.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Just did a shoot out with the 43 and 9 shield smith definitely has less recoil I was a little more accurate with it as well. Little off subject but the shield is pretty good in any caliber. I have two glocks love them as well. But smith has came out with a pretty dang nice gun here.
    Was just thinking about doing what you did. The only difference would be that my shield is 40 S&W. I pick up a gun magazine from time to time for the gun reviews but conducting your own tests makes a world of difference. I always try to learn something from every trip to the range.

Top Bottom