S&W 22a firing pin not striking correctly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    I have a new 22a that is not functioning correctly. It happens with all ammo and fast or slow fire makes no difference. It seems that the firing pin is either light striking or not striking at all. Its not ammo related as the rounds can be fed through again and they will go. Any thoughts on this or send it back to Smith and Wesson and have them look at it?

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I would first try to take it back to the shop you bought it from and see if they could swap you with another new one and see if they would send that one back. Some shops will do this.. It will save you time with out your gun but as far as the gun is concerned I think it needs to be shipped back.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I know S&W had a recall on the 22a but don't know if it was firing pin related. I would deal with them. they have really good customer service.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I was told that when I got mine that there was a chance of light strikes for the first couple hundred rounds until it broke in. I did experience several FTF that seemed to function fine when put back into a 22 revolver so I know it wasn't the ammo. The only occasional FTF I get now do seem to be ammunition related, and I'm very happy with the gun. :twocents:

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Call S&W they are great on customer service. The guys at Midwest are excellent too. I bought my 22S there.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    have you dry fired it much? i have read that you are not to dry fire a 22a, but haven't confirmed that. i picked one up (new) a couple weeks ago and fired about 100 rounds through it with no troubles. shot great, actually. i'll go grab my manual and see if it says not to dry fire, but at any rate for a new pistol a little bit of dry firing shouldn't trash it that fast. just a thought...

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    i just read the manual for my 22a front to back and the only mention of dry firing i found said not to dry fire the pistol in its disassembled (field stripped) state as it would cause damage.

then i googled so i could find where i read previously that dry firing was bad - found it again. s&w website faq says not to dry fire.

rather than get into the debate on whether or not it is ok i'll just leave it at that since this likely has nothing at all to do with your problem. just something to chew on for all of us with 22a's.

the 22a recall info can be found here.
    it was an issue with headspacing and misfires... doesn't appear to be related to failures to fire, but if your pistol falls in that serial number range you should have it looked at anyways.

so... i'd take it back or call s&w and have them check it out. bummer if you are without your new piece for a while but i'm sure it is something they will remedy.

Top Bottom