• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So, if you were carrying and pulled into a quiet, peaceful gas station, and yet you found yourself in a similar situation, what would you do?

I my case I was carrying, but what do you think would have changed in my life if I stuffed a .45 acp projectile in 5 or 6 guys loitering around a gas station? Shooting demands attention and as stable as a good sport bike is at speed, slow manuvers to keep 500 plus pounds of motorcycle upright already demands plenty of attention. Leaving promptly seems to be the best option.

Side trivia: WWII vintage Indian Police spec motorcycles had left hand throttles to allow right handed officers to use their right hands to shoot their revolvers while underway. How accurate do you think a guy could shoot while riding a rigid frame motorcycle if the pavement was anything but super smooth?

Last edited:

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    When I asked the question, I was thinking about a situation where you were already out of the vehicle and pumping gas and then you found yourself somewhat surrounded like the victim in the video. You are carrying, so what do you? I know there are a thousand variables with this type of scenario and many different ways to react to it.

Personally, I wouldn't allow myself to become surrounded. If it wasn't possible to get back in the vehicle and drive off, I would have locked my vehicle manually or with the remote and moved away from them. If they continued to pursue me, and the situation warranted it, I would draw my weapon and defend myself. Five against one and they are pursuing, it would be a life threatening situation to me.

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    When I asked the question, I was thinking about a situation where you were already out of the vehicle and pumping gas and then you found yourself somewhat surrounded like the victim in the video. You are carrying, so what do you? I know there are a thousand variables with this type of scenario and many different ways to react to it.

Personally, I wouldn't allow myself to become surrounded. If it wasn't possible to get back in the vehicle and drive off, I would have locked my vehicle manually or with the remote and moved away from them. If they continued to pursue me, and the situation warranted it, I would draw my weapon and defend myself. Five against one and they are pursuing, it would be a life threatening situation to me.

You bring up a good point that you would lock your door with the remote or manually. How many people do you know that leave their keys in the ignition when pumping gas or going into convience store quickly? I know I used to be guilty of doing this myself and still do occasionally. It sounds like common sense, but it would be good practice to grab keys and lock doors anytime you exit the vehicle. Alot of newer vehicles have the push button igniton so you can just keep the keys in your pocket at all times. I know my car if someone tried to take off in it while it was running they would only make it about 100 feet, if even that.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My fob hangs from the belt strap of my chain wallet, I usually drop my keys on the floor board and lock the truck when I'm not i it.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    You bring up a good point that you would lock your door with the remote or manually. How many people do you know that leave their keys in the ignition when pumping gas or going into convience store quickly? I know I used to be guilty of doing this myself and still do occasionally. It sounds like common sense, but it would be good practice to grab keys and lock doors anytime you exit the vehicle. Alot of newer vehicles have the push button igniton so you can just keep the keys in your pocket at all times. I know my car if someone tried to take off in it while it was running they would only make it about 100 feet, if even that.

I have gotten into the habit of locking my vehicle when gassing up. I usually pay cash and have to walk to and from the cashier, leaving the vehicle unattended. The local gas station I use is right off of the interstate and I have seen some shady people checking out unattended vehicles before. So, I don't take any chances even though there is usually nothing of any value in the vehicle.

Many of the videos I have seen similar to the one posted, when there are more than one perpetrators, there is usually someone who tries to enter the vehicle from the unlocked passenger side.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Only a couple hundred $s in ammo and mags in my go bag and several Grand in tools in the truck.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I've been in Jackson, MS doing some consulting.

That whole town is a ****-pile with far too many people who simply can't afford to move away. I'd say that there weren't any safe locations there, especially after dusk.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    In my younger and more stupid days a friend and I were headed up through and past Chicago. We needed gas and pulled off at some random exit on the north side. When we got to the bottom of the ramp a very nice police officer noticed us and pulled us over. He told us, "You don't belong here. Turn your car around and follow me" He led us to an entrance ramp which was a few blocks away with his lights on. Just shows that having no SA can lead you into a situation that you didn't know existed. He did tell us that there was always an officer posted there to turn wayward idiots that got off at that exit back onto the interstate.
    That's nice, but why not deal with the problem off the exit?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom