• T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That looks pretty as can be.

Next time I am headed toward the Fort I will get with you and bring a can for you to hang on the end of it.... if you need.
    Roger that, breakfast or lunch would definitely be on me. And there will be bacon this time!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Here is what I have confirmed so far:
    - It does use a standard AR pistol grip, my Magpul K2 fit perfectly.
    - It does have the new BX trigger group, the trigger pull is about half of my 10/22 Takedown Rifle, and the reset is considerably shorter.
    - BX25 mags will clear the surface with the Bipod legs at their shortest height (all the way retracted) and the gun will rest on the butt of the pistol grip without hitting the bottom of the mag first.
    - It has the 50th anniversary etched bolt.
    - There are not as many threads on the barrel as my AR has and my A2 flash hider was not going to be timed correctly with the standard crush washer. I will have to use a thinner washer or one that you can peel the layers to time the flash hider correctly. The A2 flash hider did look pretty sweet on there by the way.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Just noticed that the bipod included is different from what Ruger shows on their website. Not sure why.

AlphaRHINO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Evansville
    OK I just picked up my Charger TD from j & s. after I got it home to inspect the shiny new "toy" I put the gun together tried to seat the mag, but the magazine never seated. I tried everything. I have an email into Ruger, any ideas what could be causing this? I noticed a slight split in the supplied mag...see photos

wuph1k.jpg

2qlh9vb.jpg

2czv90l.jpg

Attachments

• mag1.jpg
      mag1.jpg
      389.8 KB · Views: 7
    Last edited:

AlphaRHINO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Evansville
    Did you try another magazine? That split looks like it is wide enough to throw it out of spec.

I sold all my 10/22 stuff a few months back. I currently do not have another mag to try. I guess I could run to gander and see if they have one I could buy (and pay out the wazoo)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    AlphaRHINO,
    I looked at your attached thumbnail pic at the bottom, which shows a very close up view. That mag is cracked through the metal housing and the plastic seam is spread apart to far. The reason the mag won't seat is because the metal tab is not sticking out and that's what locks into the mag catch. I will post some pics for reference for you of a good mag compared to yours. You definitely have a defective mag.

AlphaRHINO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Evansville
    AlphaRHINO,
    I looked at your attached thumbnail pic at the bottom, which shows a very close up view. That mag is cracked through the metal housing and the plastic seam is spread apart to far. The reason the mag won't seat is because the metal tab is not sticking out and that's what locks into the mag catch. I will post some pics for reference for you of a good mag compared to yours. You definitely have a defective mag.

That was my thinking, but again, I could not find an image online of another magazine like this one and I do not have one to compare it to. :-(

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Yup I knew that did not look right! Thanks again!
    You're welcome and sorry to see the bad news. Ruger should have no problem replacing that for you. I would request an extra mag from them for the inconvenience, but that's just me.

Let me guess, Quinn likes it? Has the guy EVER written a critical review? Just sayin'
    I agree, every review I have seen by him is the same, he loves everything it seems. Almost like Hickok45, except I can actually understand what Hickok45 is saying in his videos.

AlphaRHINO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Evansville
    Just got back from gander with a new mag. Fits like a glove (not OJs). Good to know it is just the mag and not the actual gun itself. Not sure how this made it past inspection.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Just got back from gander with a new mag. Fits like a glove (not OJs). Good to know it is just the mag and not the actual gun itself. Not sure how this made it past inspection.
    Glad to hear it. I'm more than confident that Ruger will make it right with you. Please keep us updated. On a side note, which one of us is going to have a range report first?

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday I got out to Parabellum for a brief range session with my Ruger Charger. I had an extra Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot so I had that mounted on it. These guns come without sights so you have to put something on there to aim with. (In case you didn't know that). I used Winchester 36 grain hollow points from a 555 pack that I had already opened. This is what I generally use for targets and squirrels.

Sorry - no pics. I know. This makes for a low quality report but I wanted to post this anyway. I used the bipod along with a sand bag under the grip for a very stable hold on the shooting shelf. The shelf was a bit narrow for this but I made it work out. Sight was zeroed on the third group at 7 yards. I moved the target out to 20 yards and made a couple of small adjustments. I was making 1" to 1.5" groups very consistently. My eyes are getting bad and I fight with the red dot a little bit. I don't see a round dot; I see a small star due to my glasses or my eye - not sure. Anyway, at 20 yards I am confident that this gun when shot from the bench could do much better with a 4X sight and a good reticle. That's the differenc between a scope and a red dot, isn't it? Even at 20 yards, that 3 MOA dot covers 0.6" diameter on the target. No matter what you do, the accuracy is added to the 0.6" diameter. Enough griping and excuses - that is what I used.

The main thing to report is that the gun is a hoot to shoot. I ran approximately 200 rounds through it and it never miss-fired or miss-fed any of them. I was very happy with how the gun worked. I can also report that the Butler Creek 25 round magazine fits without interfering with the bipod. I didn't need to block up the front end to clear the longer magazine. I found that the trigger is heavy but no different than the one that came with my 10/22. I may get the new Ruger BX Trigger assy for a drop in replacement. While I am in there I plan to mod the bolt release so that it automatically releases when the bolt is pulled back. I find that bolt release button to be confusing as heck.

Next trip, I want to go to an outdoor range where I can set up on a larger, solid bench top and shoot at 50 and 100 yards. I am toying with the idea of trying a different optic so I can squeeze down the size of my groups. I can see this being a favorite range gun when the wife and kids are shooting.

I am very happy with my Ruger Charger. It is a fun range toy and that is what I expected.

Top Bottom