• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thejester1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I'd like to make some changes on the rifle I bought which is why I found myself on this site. One reason I chose the Ruger 10/22 is because of the availability of aftermarket parts for it. Im interested in turning it into a target rifle without breaking the bank. So any recommendations on a barrel, scope, and stock would be appreciated. I'd prefer not to spend much more than 350 between the 3. Im especially interested in advice for the barrel and scope.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    10/22

The only part of Ruger on my 10/22 is the receiver. Hogue stock, bull-barrel, Harris bipod, Nikon scope, Love it... tack driver at 50 yds.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Target?

Sell it and buy a Savage. Out of the Box accurate. You will have to spend some money to get your std 1022 to a 'target gun'. But it is probably good enough right now.

Ruger Custom Items:

1) Volquartsen Trigger
    2) Target Barrel
    3) Thumbhole Stock (up to you)
    4) Free Float the Barrel in what ever stock you get

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    On the scope, here are a couple vids a fellow INGO'er did that might help you at least narrow down your search.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXl7mPLmpo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptBHQUSdGkI[/ame]

thejester1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Im still a little fuzzy on twist ratio when it comes target/bull barrels for a 22. from what I've read a higher twist ratio doesnt necessarily equal better accuracy. anybody know what the ideal twist ratio for a bull barrel would be? suggestions on length of barrel would be great as well. ty for all the suggestions so far. just spent an hour looking up companies like Hogue, Nikon, and Volquartzen. great stuff! any ideas on who I should buy a barrel from?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Twist

First thing I would recommend is logging onto Rimfire Central. If you don't need to know it about 10/22s, it isn't there.

You'll find nearly all .22lr barrels are 1:16 twist. The only common variation is some are 1:9 and are intended for 60 gr subsonic ammo. Green Mountain barrels have long been considered the best bang for the buck. You can spend 3-4 times as much on others but I question their worth in terms of accuracy. Certainly not worth the money for a "budget build". Spend your money on trigger improvements. All the how-to stuff is at Rimfire Central.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    As posted, rimfire central. Also, what is on it now? Some come stock with accurate heavy barrels. I purchased a T model years ago that would hold a 1 hole group. If it is a heavy barrel, I would see what it will do before changing it out. I like the volquartsen trigger groups. My barrel was fine. I did put a target stock on it from Fajen, but there are several good ones out there. If you finish the stock yourself you can save a few dollars too.

https://www.volquartsen.com/

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    buddy's 10/22 has a target crown, match chamber cut and trigger job. shoots just as good (maybe better) than another buddy who went the aftermarket trigger/stock/barrel.

my best advise is to try a BUNCH of ammo (ball/hp/truncated/HV/stinger/match, etc...) and see what it likes, other wise your throwing money away on target mods,

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I'd like to make some changes on the rifle I bought which is why I found myself on this site. One reason I chose the Ruger 10/22 is because of the availability of aftermarket parts for it. Im interested in turning it into a target rifle without breaking the bank. So any recommendations on a barrel, scope, and stock would be appreciated. I'd prefer not to spend much more than 350 between the 3. Im especially interested in advice for the barrel and scope.

Everyone should have a custom 10/22. Why, because they can be highly personalized and look cool!! I have one myself. But bottom line.... just don't pretend it's a target rifle unless you are shooting against other 10/22s.

Boyd's Stock (of your liking - should be a drop-in).
    Green Mountain Barrel (just pick a standard bull barrel of your liking and length)
    Tasco 6-24x 42mm (cheap scope but will work OK shooting 50 yard 25-bull targets)
    that should kill about $300

You're going to need a better trigger. I recommend Shooters Discount - they make a drop-in trigger group at 2.5# for about $80 but is not always in stock. It has new Volquartsen internals installed in a brand new Ruger trigger group. I upgraded mine to a Kidd 2-stage and sold the old one to a forum member. Haven't heard how he likes it yet.

Try Wolf Match Target ammo (about $4.50/box). You will see a big difference between it and the typical bulk ammo people tend to shoot in 10/22s. IMHO anything more expensive is overkill in a 10/22, and is a waste of money.

Les

Last edited:

thejester1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Once again the replies have been great so thank you. The info in this thread alone will keep me reading online for hours. I hadn't even considered trigger customization! my budget might have to go up a bit. :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Everyone should have a custom 10/22. Why, because they can be highly personalized and look cool!! I have one myself. But bottom line.... just don't pretend it's a target rifle unless you are shooting against other 10/22s.

Boyd's Stock (of your liking - should be a drop-in).
    Green Mountain Barrel (just pick a standard bull barrel of your liking and length)
    Tasco 6-24x 42mm (cheap scope but will work OK shooting 50 yard 25-bull targets)
    that should kill about $300

You're going to need a better trigger. I recommend Shooters Discount - they make a drop-in trigger group at 2.5# for about $80 but is not always in stock. It has new Volquartsen internals installed in a brand new Ruger trigger group. I upgraded mine to a Kidd 2-stage and sold the old one to a forum member. Haven't heard how he likes it yet.

Try Wolf Match Target ammo (about $4.50/box). You will see a big difference between it and the typical bulk ammo people tend to shoot in 10/22s. IMHO anything more expensive is overkill in a 10/22, and is a waste of money.

Les

+1 on this. I manage to snag a used low count Green Mountain barrel and Volquartson trigger from a fellow INGO member (I wonder who that was :-) Lmyer knows the 10-22. I have seen his (really nice) And I love my setup! Thanks Les!

downrise14

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    NWI
    I like the Nikon scopes. I think its the best bang for the buck. The clarity of the glass is what I'm most impressed with.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Nothing beats a Ruger 10/22. As far as what you want to spend do some shoping around. I'm sure you can find a decent scope and other items for your needs.

The problem with asking advice here is although folks mean well guys have OCD with their parts/accesseries and the like. Yes if you want to spend close to a 1,000 or more you could improve groups maybe a little. Is that advise for those super custom parts worth it? Only you know but unless you are a world class competitor you will do fine inside the paramitors you have. Most firearms even stock shoot better than most human hands can make them no matter how many "Custom" parts you stick on it!

Top Bottom