• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I agree with SOME of this, but not very much. True, you won't find 147gr target loads at Wallyworld or Meijer. But if you go online to buy carry ammo, why not do it for target ammo as well?
    The theory (or proof) of 147gr hollow points not expanding is 25 years old. I have never seen a test where 147 gr Gold Dot or HST failed to expand. Never. What I have seen, is test after test that shows a 147gr hollow point penetrating deeper than its counterparts in a lighter load (all else being equal). I would trade an extra inch of penetration over an extra couple hundredths of an inch expansion every day of the week.
    In any pistol I've ever shot, the recoil of a 147gr load is noticeably less than a 124+p or 127+p+ round every time. This means faster follow up shots with greater accuracy (for me). To each his own, but I only carry 147gr Gold Dots or 147gr HST for self defense.

I will admit much/most of my research is from 15-20 years ago. Sometimes I forget how old I am. :D I'll give ya that. However I still don't see any reason to move from the standard 9mm weight of 124 grains. Personally I am more afraid of over penetration than I am under penetration. I want my round to STAY in the target (bad guy). If that means I sometimes in certain types of barriers risk NOT reaching the vitals than I'm OK with that risk.

Everyone should realize though that at the end of the day (or thread) we are truly arguing about some very small percentage points in the grand scheme of things!

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I will admit much/most of my research is from 15-20 years ago. Sometimes I forget how old I am. :D I'll give ya that. However I still don't see any reason to move from the standard 9mm weight of 124 grains. Personally I am more afraid of over penetration than I am under penetration. I want my round to STAY in the target (bad guy). If that means I sometimes in certain types of barriers risk NOT reaching the vitals than I'm OK with that risk.

Everyone should realize though that at the end of the day (or thread) we are truly arguing about some very small percentage points in the grand scheme of things!

Very true. There is no "perfect" bullet, and never will be. Everyone must find their own comfort zone. If the only thing I could hit a target with was a .22 revolver, then that's what I would carry.

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    My Glock eats anything I feed it (even Tula). As long as it's jacketed, plated, or copper washed it's fine. There are, however, match grade barrels available which allow you to shoot cast lead.

Top Bottom