• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Took my oldest daughter (9 yo) on a short hike this morning at Morgan Monroe. We did the Rock Shelter Trail which is 3.1 miles. We had a really good time. I snapped a couple pics from my phone. Yeah, they definitely suck. I'm not the photographer that many here on INGO are.

fae3aaba.jpg

A nice little rock bench...

e1058620.jpg

3fe8f716.jpg

Here's a little frog that was hanging out in the rock shelter...

69786b6e.jpg

The trail is pretty well marked except leaving the rock shelter. We walked right past the trail marker as did another group ahead of us. We had to circle back to find it.

If you're planning on taking this or the low gap trail, the trail marker picks up on the northwest side (left) about 5 feet from where you come down out of the shelter, marked on what looks to be a beech tree.

Great hike for kids who haven't done much hiking. We packed PB&J, dried cherries and some pretzels.

My daughter took her backpack and was responsible for the food. I also let her carry my izula which she thought was awesome. I carried a Camelbak Mule in desert camo, full 2 l bladder and all essentials (FAK, fire gear, emergency blanket, etc...) as well as my esee 6 and G19.

We got it done, including lunch, in under 2 hours and we were taking in the scenery.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    It's a great hike for beginners. Very scenic. I have a buddy and his son who are very into geology and rock formations. This is a must if you're into that kinda thing.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Good summation. I've never hiked there, although I've been next door in Brown County State Park a few times. A question: Open carry or concealed on your stroll?

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Good summation. I've never hiked there, although I've been next door in Brown County State Park a few times. A question: Open carry or concealed on your stroll?

I OC 80% of the time anyway and 100% of the time when in the woods. Came across a group of 4 teenagers. I don't think they even noticed. I went to the forest office and they were cool, didn't say a word about it.

I am currently looking for a decent thigh rig though. I carry at 5 o'clock and my pack sorta gets in the way. I've tried a cross draw and that's just too weird for me.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I OC 80% of the time anyway and 100% of the time when in the woods. Came across a group of 4 teenagers. I don't think they even noticed. I went to the forest office and they were cool, didn't say a word about it.

I am currently looking for a decent thigh rig though. I carry at 5 o'clock and my pack sorta gets in the way. I've tried a cross draw and that's just too weird for me.

I can say the same about OC in our various state parks and forests. I've OC'd 100% of the time on the trail and most folks don't even notice.

Top Bottom