• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    From the limited reading I've done, sorting by rim thickness may provide more benefit than sorting by weight since the 22lr headspaces off the rim and in general, less expensive ammo would benefit more from this than top grade match ammo due to greater variation in rim thickness. It also looks to be even more time consuming than sorting by weight.

Although I sorted a few hundred rounds of "better" ammo by weight a while back, I have decided to take a pass on both for now. It appears I can get the accuracy I need for the games I want to play simply by paying 9mm prices for 22lr ammo. It is fun to experiment though and to strive for the tightest repeatable group possible from a given firearm.
    I was reading that weight mattered more than rim thickness. :dunno:

I'll probably order the Hornady thickness gauge set and do another round of testing. Because reasons.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I also need to upgrade my shooting rest setup for both bench and prone. Yesterday I shot prone all day and it showed that I haven't done that in awhile. I had difficulty getting a solid setup together and my neck/shoulder issues didn't help me one bit either. I've been using a Caldwell Rock Jr front rest and a Protektor leather rear bag for years now. Depending on what rifle I'm using, I have to add something under them to add height. Started doing a little research late last night to see what else is out there. I'm interesting in getting something like a lead sled, but from my understanding and limited use of one, that's mainly for bench and not so much prone use? Does anyone find a bipod more stable in place of a front rest? I used them years ago, but always felt less stable to me (from what I can remember).

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I was reading that weight mattered more than rim thickness. :dunno:

I'll probably order the Hornady thickness gauge set and do another round of testing. Because reasons.

And then there is rim to bullet ogive length to be considered as well...lol

While looking at rim thickness gauges yesterday I found the Hornady type gauges require you to open your calipers the full length of the cartridge to insert or remove them. For that reason I thought the G3 gauge which appears to load from the side looked much faster to use as it would only require a partial opening of the calipers to insert or remove the cartridge.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Does anyone find a bipod more stable in place of a front rest? I used them years ago, but always felt less stable to me (from what I can remember).

I normally use a Caldwell Rock Deluxe with an eared rear bag for accuracy testing and have always felt I shot better with that combo than with a bipod and rear bag. However, the groups I showed in post #1216 where shot using a bipod and less than ideal rear bag from a bench and a couple of those are among the best groups I've ever shot.

I used the bipod that day because I would have to use one in NRL22 matches so I decided to go that way for testing.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I've been using a Caldwell Rock Jr front rest and a Protektor leather rear bag for years now. Depending on what rifle I'm using, I have to add something under them to add height...

If used prone on uneven ground I can understand this but from a bench I have always had plenty of height adjustment and both of our front rest top out at 7.25". Granted, 30 rd mags can't be used in an AR.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    And then there is rim to bullet ogive length to be considered as well...lol

While looking at rim thickness gauges yesterday I found the Hornady type gauges require you to open your calipers the full length of the cartridge to insert or remove them. For that reason I thought the G3 gauge which appears to load from the side looked much faster to use as it would only require a partial opening of the calipers to insert or remove the cartridge.
    Killing me smalls. :):

I'll consider that one as well.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I normally use a Caldwell Rock Deluxe with an eared rear bag for accuracy testing and have always felt I shot better with that combo than with a bipod and rear bag. However, the groups I showed in post #1216 where shot using a bipod and less than ideal rear bag from a bench and a couple of those are among the best groups I've ever shot.

I used the bipod that day because I would have to use one in NRL22 matches so I decided to go that way for testing.
    If I may ask, my friend, what brand of bipod are you using ?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I like the rear bag I have (it has ears), but I think a wider flat bag underneath it when adding height would work better and be more stable than what I currently use (a small piece of 2x4 with tread tape on it, I know it's almost laughable :(, that's why I tried to hide the comment here in parenthesis). Prone on uneven ground was challenging and probably better suited for a bipod with tilt/pan features. I have 10rd mags for the 15-22 rifles, but only have 30rd mags for the other AR's. Probably should get some shorter AR mags.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    If I may ask, my friend, what brand of bipod are you using ?

On that day I was trying out a new Magpul bipod but I have Harris and Atlas bipods as well. If I had to take one to war it would be the high dollar Atlas but for my uses one seems as steady as the others and it comes down to convenience features and personal preference between the three.

Having only used it once, I would choose the Magpul over the tried and true Harris. All of mine adjust in the 6"-9" range and I mostly use them in the mid to lowest settings.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We do things a little differently than most. Front rest only. Up until about a week ago, it’s always been a soft (and wobbly) rest from Cabelas. We now have one of the Caldwell Jr rests as well.

We’ve never had great luck with bi-pods compared to tests. Ended up taking them off of every rifle we put them on.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just got back from a frustrating, but fairly successful range trip. It was frustrating in that it was breezy and I could really tell when the wind was gusting as it translated into many more fliers than I'm used to, especially at 100 yards. It was successful in finding out that the scope works fine for me at 100 yards and that the gun is capable of sub-MOA groups at that distance, at least with the right ammo and a calmer day. Only 1 of 9 groups shot was under 1", at around .85", though there were a couple that were just over an inch. I believe that best group was using Wolf Match Target, which the rifle really seems to like. I also only got one sub MOA group out of 7 at 50 yards, reinforcing, for me anyway, that the wind was causing a lot of havoc. I feel better knowing that I can shoot at 100 yards fine with this setup, but am now looking forward to a calmer day to do further testing.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I like the rear bag I have (it has ears), but I think a wider flat bag underneath it when adding height would work better and be more stable than what I currently use (a small piece of 2x4 with tread tape on it, I know it's almost laughable :(, that's why I tried to hide the comment here in parenthesis). Prone on uneven ground was challenging and probably better suited for a bipod with tilt/pan features. I have 10rd mags for the 15-22 rifles, but only have 30rd mags for the other AR's. Probably should get some shorter AR mags.

Just to be sure...your weak hand holds the rear eared bag and you squeeze it to adjust it's height.

Yes, prone on anything but a level surface requires a bipod with tilt and pan lets you engage multiple targets quicker.

Ditch the 30 round mags for bench use. I use 10 and 20 rd mags with a preference for the 10 rounders as they are easier to insert and remove without moving the rifle.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Just to be sure...your weak hand holds the rear eared bag and you squeeze it to adjust it's height.

Yes, prone on anything but a level surface requires a bipod with tilt and pan lets you engage multiple targets quicker.

Ditch the 30 round mags for bench use. I use 10 and 20 rd mags with a preference for the 10 rounders as they are easier to insert and remove without moving the rifle.
    Yes, I squeeze the bag like you said.

I think I'll get a Magpul bipod on order for prone use.

The shorter mags were on the list when I was more serious about shooting the ARs for groups, but the issue arose again yesterday when my friend was using my setup to sight in his AR with a 30rd mag.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ... It was frustrating in that it was breezy and I could really tell when the wind was gusting as it translated into many more fliers than I'm used to, especially at 100 yards...

It doesn't take much breeze to move a .22lr at 50 yds and at 100 yds. can easily translate to inches off. Sounds like you did very well for the conditions. :yesway:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Fronts bags are great but add a rear bag to either system for critical ammo testing.

She is the margin of error this way. No point in finding that ammo X shoots tiny groups under conditions that won’t be used. Better to find the ammo that performs best the way she will be using the rifle.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It doesn't take much breeze to move a .22lr at 50 yds and at 100 yds. can easily translate to inches off. Sounds like you did very well for the conditions. :yesway:

I didn't waste the single box of Midas + or CenterX I brought with me due to realizing how breezy it was. Those are too expensive to waste! Tested CCI SV, CCI Green Label, SK Standard Plus and the Wolf. The Wolf and Green Label shot the best, with the Wolf seeming to do better than the Green Label.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    On that day I was trying out a new Magpul bipod but I have Harris and Atlas bipods as well. If I had to take one to war it would be the high dollar Atlas but for my uses one seems as steady as the others and it comes down to convenience features and personal preference between the three.

Having only used it once, I would choose the Magpul over the tried and true Harris. All of mine adjust in the 6"-9" range and I mostly use them in the mid to lowest settings.
    Cool....Thanks ! I thought that I spotted an Atlas one time we were shooting together. I have a 9-13" Harris , but am interested in trying the new Magpul bipod. I might just have to snag one !

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I confirmed yesterday that putting pressure on the front of the handguard on the SW 15-22 effects accuracy and POI. As a test, I moved the front rest to the back of the handguard towards the magwell and the POI shifted about 1 - 1.5" low. From what I've read, using the Tacticool .22 barrel nut adapter with a regular AR free float handguard can help alleviate the issue.

I'll have to decide if I want to go further with upgrades to this rifle in attempts to getting closer to being a 1moa shooter or just start a 10/22 build.

Top Bottom