• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been shooting 44mag hand loads trying for more accurite shots out of my Henry Bigboy. Just curious what you guy's are loading. I am trying 240 grain bullets with 18 grains of powder at the moment.

What is the heaviest powder charge you would use? Just curious. thanks for any info.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You can go up to around 19.5 grains of 2400, in a 44RM cartridge, under a 240gr bullet.

What is your goal for these loads? Fun plinking rounds, effective deer-hunting rounds, or just reliable function and accuracy? If 18 grains gets you what you need, well...that's probably plenty.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    If IRC, 18 gr. of 2400 is the .44 Special load, and 22 gr. is the max. Elmer Keith used 22 gr. with a 429421 cast bullet, and I use that powder load with a Hornady 240 gr. XTP in my Marlin 1894, although a fellow in Australia advised me that the "new" 2400 was a bit faster than the "old" powder and I should lower my charge a bit to around 21 gr. The load I use for deer hunting cuts a ragged hole at 50 yds. and is dead on at 100 yds. as well using a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can go up to around 19.5 grains of 2400, in a 44RM cartridge, under a 240gr bullet.

What is your goal for these loads? Fun plinking rounds, effective deer-hunting rounds, or just reliable function and accuracy? If 18 grains gets you what you need, well...that's probably plenty.

Combo. Accuracy leading up to hunting. I would like to do a hog hunt this fall and maybe even a deer. mostly just tinkering and learning. I know one thing. I really love shooting this gun! It's kind of my favorite at the moment. lol

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well, if you want to hunt with it, don't be afraid to try another grain or two, particularly if the accuracy is good as you work up. I have a Model '92 in 44/40 that is pretty much the most popular gun in the cabinet. Everybody wants to try it out, except the guys who are hung up on AR's :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well, if you want to hunt with it, don't be afraid to try another grain or two, particularly if the accuracy is good as you work up. I have a Model '92 in 44/40 that is pretty much the most popular gun in the cabinet. Everybody wants to try it out, except the guys who are hung up on AR's :)

Any noob can hit a target with an AR and a scope :D lol. Including me! I have a hard time with open sights. I am getting better though.

My cousin (as I type) is loading up some 19.5 grains of 2400. One afternoon next week we will try those. I have some of the 18 grain left so I can compare them. I would ultimately like to be able to hit paper at 100 yards. Say a 3ft square:rockwoot:Seriously, I really suck with open sights.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First: What is the twist rate of the Henry. My marlins are 1 in 38 so it basically limits me to 265 and under grain bullets. 240 is what i use with my twist rate. I perfer JSP for accuracy, JHP i am experamenting with for hunting, (I could use some extra blood on the ground for tracking but I will not overlook accuracy for it) and Lead cast for plinking/close range loads non hunting season use.

Maybe herny uses a 1-20 or 1-24 twist rate. then you should be able to use the very largest grain bullets made. Many like the 300 grainers for large hogs to get into them well. I think the high grain for caliber issue was solved with the better bullets of today so for me 240 grain stuff is perfect. Look to Olin/serra for JSP and Hornaday for the XTP hollowpoints.

Second: Have you slugged you barrel to determine bore sixe. Marlin is big on oversize bores. Mine are Over size and right at correct size between the two. Having the bore slugged and using that info to order your bullets (Mainly lead cast stuff) Will improve accuracy tremendously.

Third: Powders and speed. My microgrrove barreled marlin loves fast speed and does not respond as well to cast bullets.(I think i have just not found the correct shaped bullet yet for it) My Ballard grooved marlin will shoot cast if I get the hardness correct to the spped I am shooting them at. To fast on to soft a lead bullet will give me some leading issues and the same is true for the opposte extreem. A good cronograph is a great idea. I load with H110 and lilgun for JSP and JHP and step down to trailboss for soft lead cast bulets. I find unique a bit dirty, and I like powders that I can't throw a double chagre with.

Fouth: Handgun verses rifle loads. Look at the rifle loads for rifles. Yes it would be a perfect world if my Smith 29 and my marlin shot the very same load the best but I have not found that to be the case. My handgun like SWC and the marlin does not like to load them. So for me it is easy the swc are for pistol and the rest for rifle.

Try those four hints and see if you get better groups. Open sights should not affect 50 yard groups.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    First: What is the twist rate of the Henry. My marlins are 1 in 38 so it basically limits me to 265 and under grain bullets. 240 is what i use with my twist rate. I perfer JSP for accuracy, JHP i am experamenting with for hunting, (I could use some extra blood on the ground for tracking but I will not overlook accuracy for it) and Lead cast for plinking/close range loads non hunting season use.

Maybe herny uses a 1-20 or 1-24 twist rate. then you should be able to use the very largest grain bullets made. Many like the 300 grainers for large hogs to get into them well. I think the high grain for caliber issue was solved with the better bullets of today so for me 240 grain stuff is perfect. Look to Olin/serra for JSP and Hornaday for the XTP hollowpoints.

Second: Have you slugged you barrel to determine bore sixe. Marlin is big on oversize bores. Mine are Over size and right at correct size between the two. Having the bore slugged and using that info to order your bullets (Mainly lead cast stuff) Will improve accuracy tremendously.

Third: Powders and speed. My microgrrove barreled marlin loves fast speed and does not respond as well to cast bullets.(I think i have just not found the correct shaped bullet yet for it) My Ballard grooved marlin will shoot cast if I get the hardness correct to the spped I am shooting them at. To fast on to soft a lead bullet will give me some leading issues and the same is true for the opposte extreem. A good cronograph is a great idea. I load with H110 and lilgun for JSP and JHP and step down to trailboss for soft lead cast bulets. I find unique a bit dirty, and I like powders that I can't throw a double chagre with.

Fouth: Handgun verses rifle loads. Look at the rifle loads for rifles. Yes it would be a perfect world if my Smith 29 and my marlin shot the very same load the best but I have not found that to be the case. My handgun like SWC and the marlin does not like to load them. So for me it is easy the swc are for pistol and the rest for rifle.

Try those four hints and see if you get better groups. Open sights should not affect 50 yard groups.

Some how I missed this responce to the thread. I caught it after going back threw some emails.

The Henry has the same twist as your Marlin. I will use your info and see what happens. I appreciate your info. I have not slugged the barrel. I think my buddy or my cousin can help with that. If not I will find someone and or learn. I am always looking to learn something new. I will post my results.

My Skinner sights should be here shortly. I am eager to try them. I ordered all the apertures so I can see what works best. I will post info about that too. Thanks all for the great info

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I use 32.4 grains of FFg (a full case) under a 200 gn. Mav Duchman boolit in my Rossi '92 in .44-40. I can hit a pie plate at 100 yds - that's a dessert plate, pard. The second shot is kind tough - at least until all the SMOKE clears! :rockwoot:

ol' poke

Top Bottom