• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I inferred you lacked a 2nd gun (or a reload) when you said "5-6 shots is all I need".

Again, I'm not trying to slay the sacred revolver cow here-- I just believe that time, new materials, and modern manufacturing have given us superior options when it comes to a defensive sidearm.
    As a wise man once told me, "know the situation." Depending on where I go, I adjust what I carry. If I believe I'm going to the city, I switch to semi-auto and keep a revolver as a backup. Or I simply wear two.

Venue dictates ordinance. Yet there are days where a revolver is all I need. As far as obsolete, revolvers may be less trendy, but if it's what you learned first it's no less effective.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    When I carry in my pocket it will be a flat litle auto. When I carry on my belt it will be a revo and a pocket full of speedloaders.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I would never say revolvers are outmoded. But, I prefer more shots, and more importantly, the ability to reload quickly with a mag change. I don't carry a backup weapon if I'm going to a bad area, I just add spare mags. Even with a speed loader, it would likely take twice as long or more to reload a revolver (just getting the spent shells out can take a few seonds) than to do a mag swap. Add to that the fact that you are more likely to need to reload because you have less bullets with a revolver, and I personally just decided that I was done with revolvers.

Frankly, I like taking apart semi autos and cleaning them, and appreciating the engineering, and how each design is unique. Revolvers don't really have much to mess with or appreciate from my point of view. I respect those that admire them though.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would never say revolvers are outmoded. But, I prefer more shots, and more importantly, the ability to reload quickly with a mag change. I don't carry a backup weapon if I'm going to a bad area, I just add spare mags. Even with a speed loader, it would likely take twice as long or more to reload a revolver (just getting the spent shells out can take a few seonds) than to do a mag swap. Add to that the fact that you are more likely to need to reload because you have less bullets with a revolver, and I personally just decided that I was done with revolvers.

Frankly, I like taking apart semi autos and cleaning them, and appreciating the engineering, and how each design is unique. Revolvers don't really have much to mess with or appreciate from my point of view. I respect those that admire them though.

netsecurity, I am not arguing your point because I have said what you said. It's a chice. I do differ on one item. The thought/comment by a lot of people that revolvers can not be reloaded as quick as an auto is not totally true. Like anything it's learning to do it right! There are several techniques for reloading a revolver with speedloaders/moon clips where the shooter is as fase as they would be with a semi auto. I am one. I am not above the averaghe of my generation that started out on revolvers. We trained and trained right back in the day.

Revolvers being the only tool when I started thats the only thing I shoot/practiced back in the day. I have sence migrated to autos for the job but new shooters tend to not take the time to really learn true revolver shooting. and thats fine if thats their choice but revolvers can be shoot as well and reloaded as quick as an auto (less rounds though) it's just someone was
    A. Trained right and B. practiced on it. I've see sloppy auto reloads because the shooter didn't train on them.
    The only con is the reloads of a revolver is 6-8 rounds vs 8-17 you get from an auto.

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    love revolvers

revolvers are cool.

they will always be relevant as long as they hold bullets and when you squeeze the trigger it goes boom.
    when its empty its a heavy metal stick( rock ) to smash with if needed.
    i learned on dads .44 when i was a kid(dad was an MP officer in the army), that gun scared the hell out of me then, and still does.
    this made me able to get the mechanics of shooting.
    everything else for a long time seemed easy to shoot.

now, its mostly semi autos, but still have and still love revolvers.
    i have a .357 ruger in lay a way at beech grove firearms and cant wait to go get it soon( next couple of weeks or so ).

after that its going to be a 686 i think.
    revolvers just have that mystical ambiance and old world allure.
    like i said, they are just cool, and if it goes bang if your shot placement is correct, isn't that the whole goal, defensive shot placement?

plus, they( good ones ) hold value.
    probably always gonna have and want a wheel gun.
    need a 4 or 6 inch Rhino in .40 or .357 as well.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I wish SMith would make a scandium framed 9mm k frame, rond but with fixed sights, and a 3" barrel, then it would be far from obsolete, a great primary for everyday, and an excellent back up for teh days you feel you need it.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Revolvers are antiquated and obsolete. They cannot be shot quickly and accurately, and it takes forever to reload them. Just ask Jerry Miculek; he'll tell you. :D

Ha ha ha, that guy couldn't even beat Ed McGivern.

There is some debate on whether Miculek has beaten McGivern in one or more areas, but no matter. I'm sure, were they still alive, McGivern, Jelly Bryce, and Bill Jordan would agree with Jerry Miculek that revolvers are antiquated, obsolete, cannot be shot quickly or accurately, and are way too slow to reload. :D (just having some fun!)

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I would almost prefer a revolver over a semi auto. IMO they are more accurate, less trouble over all and you don't have to be a genius to figure them out. My all time favorite is the Ruger Blackhawk 357.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I started out in law enforcement with a wheelgun, the ubiquitous Smith Model 10.

I strongly supported our switch to self-loaders mainly due to the difficulty of teaching our small female officers to be proficient with six-shooters. For the last years of my career I had the Smith full size service 9mm in stainless. I can't remember the model number, maybe a 6506?

After my retirement I carried a brace of Colt SAA .45's as my personal defense guns and I wish I still could, but my old eyes have gotten to the point that I just can't see those little sights anymore.

I now carry two big-bore N frame Smiths. I carry them for BIG slugs and reliability.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I wish SMith would make a scandium framed 9mm k frame, rond but with fixed sights, and a 3" barrel, then it would be far from obsolete, a great primary for everyday, and an excellent back up for teh days you feel you need it.

Sorta like this with more modern metallurgy?

th

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    i dont know why more people dont carry and use revolvers, way less likely to malfunction, easy to opperate, and ive seen ones with light rails and 8 shots, with 8 shots u have as many rounds as a single stack .45 and a .357 has plenty of power. revolvers arnt out dated at all,

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    i dont know why more people dont carry and use revolvers, way less likely to malfunction, easy to opperate, and ive seen ones with light rails and 8 shots, with 8 shots u have as many rounds as a single stack .45 and a .357 has plenty of power. revolvers arnt out dated at all,
    I quite agree. Unfortunately the semi-auto appears to be winning.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Revolvers are like a bottle of fine wine that is aging gracefully. They have style, sophistication, and can only really be appreciated by a true connoisseur.

DSC02114.jpg

Semi-auto's on the other hand are like a 40 of Olde English 800. Its cheap, mind-numbing, and is only praised by people who have no since of self-respect.

steyr_left.jpg
    Bravo! And what a gorgeous revolver!! Is that a "Bull Dog"???

Okay Colt556, where do you want me to send these for disposal???
    ACollectionOfRevolvers.jpg
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/colt556.html

pasonik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I love my S&W 360pd. It goes bang every time. No need to worry about jams or anything bad associated with semi-autos. And it's so very light weight. Also Speer's Gold Dot ammo for short barrels makes full house loads tolerable. Oh, and I also carry 2 five round speed loaders so I'm right up there with the high capacitys but I have to reload. And practice makes perfect.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I can in all honesty say that I have never felt less armed when I've carried a revolver over one of my semis.

My model 15 lives in the nightstand by my bed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom