• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Don't worry, I won't continue to post these forever, I know that has created some waves over the years.

Since my last trip, I acquired a rimfire suppressor, The Huxwrx Flow 22 Ti, from Andrew. Everything didn't go perfectly today with that. The only pistol I could find that I could use, was an Sig P322 that I had never gotten around using. First problem, I had screwed the suppressor on before I left, I decided to use the rifles first after I got to the range. I use the suppressor wrench and of course the little adaptor from Sig come off with it and I can not remove it by hand. Of course, I never thought to bring that wrench with me... I did find something on the suppressor wrench that let me get it loose, so I was back in the game. Next up, I removed the flash hider from the H&K 416 .22. Guess what, it is not a nicely threaded barrel underneath, it is a little tiny thing that is left sticking out of the barrel, so no suppressor on it. I pull out the Tippmann which has a standard threaded barrel with protector cap on the end. I went through 5 mags, with no problems. It was nice not wearing the muffs as hot as it was today. I had also brought a little savage bolt with threaded barrels, but no sights or optics. I shot 5 subsonic through it, just to see how it sounds.

So now I moved back to the Sig P322. I went through the 6 mags. Some of them had 3 or 4 malfunctions. One or two had zero. I hope that was just a break in thing. Yes, it has been cleaned and lubed before going out. But it was fun to shoot while working.

I put several rounds through the HK MR556 with the Surefire can on it. It shot great. But I did learn that a can really does get hot, really hot. Hot enough to melt your range bag where it touches it. I think I will remember that lesson. It wasn't bad, but definitely left a nice mark on the bag.

I moved to the pistol range and these were both unsuppressed. First up was the HK USP Expert 9mm. Of course no malfunctions of any kind. Second was the SA Prodigy. I did have one stovepipe on a piece of Blazer aluminum. Looking at the targets afterward, I was more accurate with the HK than the SA on average.

All in all another enjoyable day at the Range.

IMG_0461.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpeg
      IMG_0458.jpeg
      145.2 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_0460.jpeg
      IMG_0460.jpeg
      123.8 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    That .22 can is a hoot, isn't it? I love shooting with mine. Typically it's paired with either a Ruger MkIV (as a bonus the barrel is short enough to keep bulk-pack subsonic), CZ 457 Scout (absolutely Hollywood quiet and deadly accurate), or dedicated .22LR AR (shoulder-mounted bullet hose).

Cleaning it, on the other hand, is not so much fun.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    22 cans are a blast to shoot until it's time to clean them. They cake up real fast. 22lr can already be inherently finicky then add a suppressor and an autoloader it can really get finicky. Did you try 147g subs on the 9mm handguns?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    22 cans are a blast to shoot until it's time to clean them. They cake up real fast. 22lr can already be inherently finicky then add a suppressor and an autoloader it can really get finicky. Did you try 147g subs on the 9mm handguns?
    The 9mm were still unsuppressed. I have a can but not pistons yet. Neither one of these were threaded anyway. But the last 9mm ammo I ordered was 147 getting ready for the cans.

What do I watch for to know when it is time to clean the suppressor?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The 9mm were still unsuppressed. I have a can but not pistons yet. Neither one of these were threaded anyway. But the last 9mm ammo I ordered was 147 getting ready for the cans.

What do I watch for to know when it is time to clean the suppressor?
    Whenever you go to clean it and the phrase "well, $hit, I can't hardly get these baffles out", then you know to break it down for cleaning sooner.
    But joking aside, I clean my AAC Element 2's around 700-800 rounds. It allows me to push the baffles out with the pusher tool without any cussing. Depending on how your baffles are designed you could probably get by with shooting more between cleanings. My baffles are not shielded. Some may refer to the term "skirted". Same thing as "shielded". Unskirted baffles are harder to drive out because the carbon and lead builds up in that tiny space between the baffle and the wall of the suppressor.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Looks like my rimfire is a sealed unit, so you just soak it…
    maybe I will need one of those ultrasonic cleaners.

i took the Surefire off this morning. It was a bit of a bitch to get off.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I clean my .22 suppressor after every range session to keep it from seizing up. So far that approach has been effective. I pre-treat the stainless steel baffles with silicon oil (DOT5 brake fluid). Typically, the crud just wipes off if I've been shooting rifle because the barrels are long enough that there's only very minimal combustion, if any, inside the can. When shooting pistol, it really bakes itself on there. I've taken to soda blasting with compressed air, which gets it very clean very quickly, but makes a huge mess. One of these days I'll invest in a blast cabinet to keep it all contained.

A sealed .22 can seems like it would have a pretty limited lifespan. With the amount of residue that builds up in mine in a single range session, I doubt it would be long before you just had a solid block of crud in there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I clean my .22 suppressor after every range session to keep it from seizing up. So far that approach has been effective. I pre-treat the stainless steel baffles with silicon oil (DOT5 brake fluid). Typically, the crud just wipes off if I've been shooting rifle because the barrels are long enough that there's only very minimal combustion, if any, inside the can. When shooting pistol, it really bakes itself on there. I've taken to soda blasting with compressed air, which gets it very clean very quickly, but makes a huge mess. One of these days I'll invest in a blast cabinet to keep it all contained.

A sealed .22 can seems like it would have a pretty limited lifespan. With the amount of residue that builds up in mine in a single range session, I doubt it would be long before you just had a solid block of crud in there.
    Might be an expensive live and learn…

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Looks like my rimfire is a sealed unit, so you just soak it…
    maybe I will need one of those ultrasonic cleaners.

i took the Surefire off this morning. It was a bit of a bitch to get off.
    Which suppressor? Not sure anyone is making sealed 22 cans anymore or in the past 8-10 years. At least the major players
    EDIT: Nevermind, went back to OP. I see it's a huxworks. I can't imagine that one being sealed. If it really is then they won't sell many

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Did a quick and dirty research on this Huxwrx 22 Ti. Looks like it's a total 3D printed can. So that makes sense as to why it's sealed and has no removal baffles. I did read they have a powder that you mix with water and it makes a cleaning solution for it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom