• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    More support from conservatives for Hostettler for the US Senate:

The National Board of the Republican Liberty Caucus has endorsed two former Members of Congress in their respective runs for U.S. Senate in Indiana and Pennsylvania.

U.S. Senator Evan Bayh (D) decided to retire this year, leaving Democrats to hope that Blue Dog Brad Ellsworth can win statewide. Because of where Ellsworth is from in the state and the political climate, Republicans in Indiana would be best served to select former Congressman John Hostettler to face him in the upcoming May primary.

Hostettler's main primary opponents are State Senator Marlin Stutzman and former U.S. Senator Dan Coats. Stutzman is fairly competent on the issues, but seems to take a more interventionist position on foreign policy in contrast to Hostettler. The other problem with Stutzman is that he will not be able to rival Ellsworth in the General Election in southern Indiana. Senator Dan Coats is a moderate, not a conservative or a libertarian. He would not be the best candidate to capitalize on the angst and frustration expressed by conservative voters in 2010.

Hostettler was recently endorsed by Congressman Ron Paul, and his supporters are having a MoneyBomb tomorrow. Let's hope Hostettler wins the upcoming primary and sends Brad Ellsworth back to southern Indiana.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I hope he can get the funding to get some tv ads going to get his name out there more.

He can if people like you and I send him a few bucks.

I'm planning on making a donation.

I've never seen a candidate look down upon anyone who has donated to their campaign. Big or small, all donations are appreciated. Even $5 or $10 is great appreciated, and in this case anything and everything will help. $5, $25, or $250 . . . whatever can be afforded would be a big help.

We've got to defeat Coats before we can defeat Ellsworth :patriot:

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    He can if people like you and I send him a few bucks.

I'm planning on making a donation.

I've never seen a candidate look down upon anyone who has donated to their campaign. Big or small, all donations are appreciated. Even $5 or $10 is great appreciated, and in this case anything and everything will help. $5, $25, or $250 . . . whatever can be afforded would be a big help.

We've got to defeat Coats before we can defeat Ellsworth :patriot:

For anyone who is thinking about making a donation to Hostettler's campaign, there will be a "Money Bomb" or "Money Blitz" or whatever you want to call it going on tomorrow with a live donation counter. I'm in! :-)

Here is Hostettler's campaign website: Hostettler

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Still up in the air on Hostettler... someone convince me. I just can't get past his rampant support of that misnomer known as the Patriot act.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I see this whole mess going badly. People seem to be so split over Stutzman and Hostettler. I don't care who wins, I just want to avoid Coats. The more people split over these two desirable candidates, the more chance we'll hand it to Coats. All of my activist emails from NW Indiana are preaching Stutzman. Most on here are calling for Hostettler. This could be bad.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I just can't get past his rampant support of that misnomer known as the Patriot act.

Do you have a link or something for this?
    If true, I would be concerned about this.
    It is hard to imagine Ron Paul endorsing a candidate who is weak on civil liberties.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Still up in the air on Hostettler... someone convince me.

:+1:

I'm all for joining behind one true conservative candidate.
    I've seen two debates between all five candidates, one in person; and I've met them all on an individual basis as well.
    This is what I have thus far:

I like Behney, but he's obviously out. I've grown very impressed with Don Bates Jr. throughout the process, but again, he doesn't have the statewide support. I damn sure can't vote for Coats, but don't know enough of the differences between Stutzman and Hostettler. I'm leaning for Stutzman because in the northern part of the state and I don't know Hostettler all that well.

Could someone please learn me the differences between the two? I don't care for John's personality/demeanor, however I could look past personal differences and vote with a clear conscience provided he's the right candidate.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I see this whole mess going badly. People seem to be so split over Stutzman and Hostettler. I don't care who wins, I just want to avoid Coats. The more people split over these two desirable candidates, the more chance we'll hand it to Coats. All of my activist emails from NW Indiana are preaching Stutzman. Most on here are calling for Hostettler. This could be bad.

...I'm leaning for Stutzman because in the northern part of the state and I don't know Hostettler all that well.

Could someone please learn me the differences between the two? I don't care for John's personality/demeanor, however I could look past personal differences and vote with a clear conscience provided he's the right candidate.

Here is what I see.

On the positions of being pro-gun, small government conservatives, both Stutzman and Hostettler are essentially the same, or so nearly the same that I will very gladly vote for either one of them. Both are backed by true conservatives, both have conservative voting records. Essentially flip a coin.

So why is it that I am an advocate for Hostettler?

That is pretty simple, in the polling data that has been published, in the media, in the political analysis, everyone seems to say the same things. Coats is winning, Hostettler is close enough to win, and Stutzman is lagging in a distant 3rd place. The media reports and polls that even bother to mention Bates indicate he is WAAAAY behind and most don't even bother with Behney.

So just trying to be logical, a vote for Behney or Bates would be a vote for Coats. That is a simple statement to make.

But what about Stutzman or Hostettler? Data that has been published seems to show Stutzman trailing behind Coats by about 10-to-11% points and behind Hostettler by 7-to-8% points. That is a HUGE MARGIN to make up. To win, Stutzman would have to get EVERY VOTE from Bates (5%) plus every vote from Behney (3%) just to catch Hostettler, then he would have to take 3+% of Hostettler's votes to catch Coats. With a primary vote just a couple weeks away, does anyone actually think that is possible? I don't.

This is not a matter of who I want to win. Its a simple matter of numbers. I honestly don't care if Hostettler or Stutzman wins, what I want is for Coats to lose. So how can we get Coats to lose? What is our best chance? Clearly the best chance is Hostettler. In fact is would be virtually impossible for anyone else to actually beat Coats.

Now there is a good deal of Stutzman support in some regions, but I discount the email for one simple reason. Those are his supporters begging for support and, looking at the % points above, its clear that he can't win. What he can do is draw some support away from Hostettler and push Coats into the general election with ROUGHLY ONLY 32-to-33% of the voters casting votes for Coats.

So as much as I like Stutzman, the fact is that I consider him a 'spoiler' who will push Coats into the winner's circle. Ditto for Bates and Behney.

It really is that simple.

I don't care if someone LIKES a particular candidate, hell I like Mickey Mouse. But if a vote for someone I like is going to put Coats into power then I'm voting for the guy who can beat Coats.
    • The fact that Hostettler can beat Coats, and has positions that I think are excellent, makes it logical to vote for him.
    • The fact that Stutzman can NOT beat Coats, but has positions that I think are excellent, makes it logical to NOT vote for him.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Do you have a link or something for this?
    If true, I would be concerned about this.
    It is hard to imagine Ron Paul endorsing a candidate who is weak on civil liberties.

From Senate Candidates Discuss Issues | Daily Hostettler
    The candidates were then asked whether the Patriot Act is constitutional. Four of the five said yes, while Behney said no, that it infringes upon American freedom... Hostettler noted he was on the House Judiciary Committee when it was created and that it takes significant steps for security, such as placing a wire-tap warrant on a person rather than a single device.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    So to those who know that Stutzman, Bates and Behney can't win, and to those who's only real opposition to Hostettler might be the Patriot Act (realizing also that Stutzman, Coats & Bates hold the same opinion as Hostettler),
    if you DON'T VOTE:
    • Coats will win
    • Your favorite candidate will lose

If you VOTE FOR A MINOR CANDIDATE:
    • Coats will win
    • Your favorite candidate will lose

If you VOTE FOR HOSTETTLER:
    • Its likely that Coats will lose
    • Your 95% candidate will likely win

Some realities to consider, in a statewide PRIMARY election 3000 votes is all it takes to swing a vote a few percentage points away from one and to another. We only have a few percentage points between Hostettler and Coats. There are more than enough members here at INGO to change this election. WE have the numbers and the power to keep Coats out of office and send a true conservative pro-gunner to Washington.

The only question is do we have the balls to set aside some personal pride and do what is right?

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Melensdad, you're right, which is why I'll probably end up voting Hostettler... it's tough though because civil liberties is probably my number 1 issue. I hate an intrusive government.

erowe1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Still up in the air on Hostettler... someone convince me. I just can't get past his rampant support of that misnomer known as the Patriot act.

You should watch his interview with the Indiana state coordinator for the Campaign for Liberty. They spend some time on his Patriot Act vote.
    Campaign For Liberty — My interview on Stoopid Politics with John Hostettler

I can understand your objection on that point. But to me, it's far outweighed by all the pluses he has. If you're libertarian leaning (as I presume you may be if the Patriot Act is your deal breaker issue), you might like this list I wrote up of 50 reasons to donate to his campaign.
    John Hostettler for Senate Money Bomb - TODAY | Ron Paul 2012 | Campaign for Liberty at the Daily Paul

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Talked to a buddy this morning. He was all for Coats until I told him that Coats voted for the AWB in 94. He had no idea, and said he is hearing a lot of ads touting Coats pro-2A stance.

I think everyone need to tell 2 friends who tell 2 friends who tell ... that Coats is an anti-gunner.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Hate to say it, but Coats is in the driver's seat. I wish it were different, but I fear Coats has way more support from moderate republicans.

Top Bottom