• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have never had a car repoed but I had to have Fort Wayne Nissan come pick up my POS 2008 Altima out of my driveway on a Saturday afternoon because the tranny went on strike. All the neighbors came out trying to see what was going on...my wife and I were almost embarrased by the scene. We both said it felt like our car was being repossesed. :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    I'd rather just be a tow truck driver and help people instead of being a repo man and pissing people off...
    :twocents:

I have been a tow truck driver and trust me, the people you are trying to help get just as pissed!! Especially when they have to pay the bill before I will drop their car off of my truck. There have been a few instances where I have taken the car with me because they refused to pay, normally after towing their car 30 or 40 miles.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have been a tow truck driver and trust me, the people you are trying to help get just as pissed!! Especially when they have to pay the bill before I will drop their car off of my truck. There have been a few instances where I have taken the car with me because they refused to pay, normally after towing their car 30 or 40 miles.

That's fine with me. Mechanic's Lien on the car and park it! More money for you! Either way, better than being a repo man!

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Id rather be a bounty hunter. :-) Having been a Comcast Cable repo man, IT SUCKS.

Are you talking about doing disconnects? I made more money doing disconnects than doing installs. I have heard every excuse in the book. Most I made in a week doing disco's was $1400. Good times, but hard work. I can't tell you how many dirty looks I got. :D

Rule of thumb: "Get to the bad neighborhoods really early" :draw:

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    That's fine with me. Mechanic's Lien on the car and park it! More money for you! Either way, better than being a repo man!
    It does not work that way, 9 times out of 10, the crap cars you get stuck with aren't worth the tow bill itself. Normally the nice stuff is paid for and released, just the crap is left to sit. Ever see a repo man ass deep in snow, a pond, or a creek just to fish out a car that they may or may not get paid for recovering?? Do repo men retreive cars that have been involved in fatality accidents, with blood, skin and whatever else left by the paramedics? Don't think that the dead person, or people (including children) are removed before the tow truck shows up, because alot of the times, they aren't. I loved being a tow truck driver and I'm sure being a repo man has its bad points, but driving a tow truck has its bad points too!

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I would think in this economy being a repo man would be a dangerous job . Imagine a guy gets laid off , cant pay his bills , his girl / wife is arguing and you show up for the vehicle .

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I would think in this economy being a repo man would be a dangerous job . Imagine a guy gets laid off , cant pay his bills , his girl / wife is arguing and you show up for the vehicle .

I talked to a guy that did repo's about a year ago. He said it is NOTHING like the "reality" shows make it out to be. He did repo's for a small car lot that would give you loans, not a bank or anything. He said that 98% of the time the repo goes over without a hitch. Usually he did the repo's between 3-6am not 3pm when everybody is awake.

Once in a while though you get an angry person, but he was never assaulted, he got yelled at once or twice though.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I got a friend that used to do Repo's. He said if you use your head and take your time a good situation will arise and you just hook and drag it to the bank. His rig was an F-450 with a hook rig that folded and slid up into the bed. Usually by the time someone noticed what he was doing he was driving away with their car.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why do you keep bagging on people who have a job?
    They aren't the ones who couldn't send in a payment on something they promised to pay for.
    Your statements are odd.

I guess it is worse to have a legitimate job and not have sympathy for the poor and downtrodden than to not pay your bills. :dunno:

Seriously, why aren't people charged with theft if they hide their cars or interfere with a repo?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Why do you keep bagging on people who have a job?
    They aren't the ones who couldn't send in a payment on something they promised to pay for.
    Your statements are odd.

I"m not bagging on people who have a job. You call my statements odd, your assumtions make no sense. I've met quite a few repo men in my day, not coming for my stuff but once, but through the course of the company I kept. As most people here have said, most repo guys aren't the cream of the crop. I"m not someone who can sleep at night knowing I had to reposess the only means of transportation some poor guy that got laid off had to find another job. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I'd rather be the tow truck driver that comes to help the poor guy along side the road who's trying to get home to his family. Repo men don't do that kinda stuff. Yes, I know being a Tow Truck driver isn't unicorn farts and fairy dust. They see some pretty gruesome :poop: in their day. It's still better than knowing YOU ruined someone's day yourself.

Sure it's the other persons fault the car got repoed. Mostly. But it's you taking their means of transportation away. Usually at a bad time.

If you have some kind of problem with my opinion on that, tuff :poop:. I don't really care.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    It's still better than knowing YOU ruined someone's day yourself.

Sure it's the other persons fault the car got repoed. Mostly. But it's you taking their means of transportation away. Usually at a bad time.
    I find these statements contradictory to each other, it is not the repo man that ruins someone's day, it is in fact that person that didn't make their payment that ruined his own day. What gets me is all the poor people that lost their job continue to pay their cell phone bills, internet and cable bills, I look at it like this, if you lose your job, lose the luxuries with it and flip burgers if you have to.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I find these statements contradictory to each other, it is not the repo man that ruins someone's day, it is in fact that person that didn't make their payment that ruined his own day. What gets me is all the poor people that lost their job continue to pay their cell phone bills, internet and cable bills, I look at it like this, if you lose your job, lose the luxuries with it and flip burgers if you have to.

amen.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Thats what I was trying to figure out. With the comment of "better then being a repo man".
    Your right I don't have to like your comments it goes both way. Just an odd statement. Would you rather a person take on the social security money?
    Would it be better then having the hob of a repo man?

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    A friend of mine owns a buy here pay here lot and boy does he get repos......

I have gotten a few for him, he normally sends me out on the ones he thinks will be trouble, yet they never are.

1st example:

I had to wait around for about 8 hours to locate the car it wasn't at the guys work or home. When it finally showed up at his home I drove over in front of it, got out and introduced myself. Told him that the car was being repoed and if he had any personal items in the card he would like to get now was a good time to do that. He got his stuff out of the car and asked me if he could call the lot before I hooked up and see if he could work out a deal.

He called the lot, they told him what he needed to pay to get caught up. He whips out this stack of bills and counts out 460 bucks. I write him a receipt and go to leave he stops me and hands me 40 bucks. He says"Thanks man you saved me about 200 by letting me call in."

2nd example:

Very bad area north side of 20 in Gary for you region rats you can agree about the area....
    I pull up get out of the wrecker, go and knock on the door. A lady answers the door. I explain who I am and why I am there and again tell her if she has ant personal items in the car she would like to get now would be a good time. She slams the door on me so I call Gary PD explain who I am and what I am doing and would they please send an officer. Officer shows up I show him all paperwork and explain that I just don't want any problems and if he would be kind enough to hang around while I do my job. He looks at me and says"You are one crazy ass White Boy you know this is a known crackhouse your messing with? I hope you got a gun." I brush my jacket back and expose my CZ40B and tell him I just didn't wanna have to use it.

I had a spare set of keys for the car but when i unlocked and opened the door I almost puked. I decided to just pop it in neutral and winch it up on the roll back. As I am loading the car the woman comes out of the house screaming bloody murder and she is carrying a knife. I was on the road side of the roll back so I just unsnapped my holster and figured the cop would have it under control. When he stepped forward she shutup and drop the knife and started going off on him about how he was an Uncle Tom and he should be embarassed by helping YT keep her down. I finished getting it loaded and didn't even bind it down I figured I could do that someplace safer. I leave the cop is close behind me.

I pull over into the TA truck stop and he comes up to me, we bs for a couple minutes and somehow get on what type of beer he likes. Needless to say the next time I had a repo in the area I dropped off 10 cases of beer for him and the dept, that I billed to my buddies lot.

It is not a good job, but it is not horrible. I just did it as a way to help my buddy out and make some side cash.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

I knew someone would make a point of these two comments cause I knew I hadn't explained myself well.

Yes they contradicte one another from one's point of view. But look at it like this. The guy who got laid off was looking for work when he fell behind on payments. The guy has a new job he starts tomorrow and wakes up that morning to find his car has been repo'ed and now he loses his new job.

It's not the guy's fault he fell behind on payments. Maybe he called to let the lender know but the lender doesn't care and repo's it anyway. THAT makes it the repo man's fault for causing the guy all the problems because had the repo man not taken the car, the other guy would have had a job and began paying on the car again.

YES I KNOW THIS ISN"T THE NORM. Don't give me **** about that. I know a lot of people are dead beats but not all of them are.

And by the way, the car I had repoed happened just as I described above. I had a job I was starting and had called the lender and faxed my paperwork to them but they didn't care. They repoed my car anyway. I lost that job because the repo man didn't care that I was getting paid in two weeks and neither did the lender.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Savage while I feel for what you are describing and can understand it. It is NOT the repo mans fault. Be pissed at the lender the repo guy was just doing what he is told to do.

Much like how people bash on LEOs all the time whether they agree with the policies or not they have to do their jobs. If he doesn't do his job he wont have one. Then he will be on the other end of the repo.

I am not arguing with you like I said I see where you are coming from and agree it sucks, but the guy is just doing his job.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And by the way, the car I had repoed happened just as I described above. I had a job I was starting and had called the lender and faxed my paperwork to them but they didn't care. They repoed my car anyway. I lost that job because the repo man didn't care that I was getting paid in two weeks and neither did the lender.

Uh, that's still not the repo man's problem. Also, do you allow your employer to pay you "when they can"?

That's like saying we shouldn't take a drunk's license because how is he going to get to work and make a living without it. Too f'in bad. They should have thought about that before they got drunk and got behind the wheel. If you don't want your vehicle repo'd, make your payments.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom