• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enforcer831

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I was recently given a 552 by my grandfather. It was given to him by his brother back in the early 80s and has sat in his closet since. He has never shot the rifle but it looked a bit dusty so I decided to clean it up. After cleaning I noticed that there were two small cracks near the front sight. Both whe 180 degrees apart and I can feel a slight bulge. Also, using a ruler the barrel seems to turn to the right. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement barrel? I've looked and so far I've found a parkerized barrel. So far my only other choice is to send it to Remington. I'd like to keep it as much original as possible and keep the old barrel. Not sure if Remington would do that. Any thoughts fellow INGOers?

Enforcer831

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    The cracks are behind the front sight. (Shooter side). Shortening the barrel would make it shorter than the tube mag. Thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought of that option. I'm on to a lead for a replacement barrel. Hopefully it will pan out. If anyone know where to find a barrel or a 552 for parts, let me know.

Enforcer831

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    If you ever make it to the 1500 Butch in the middle back of the three section building might have one.

Thanks for the tip. Currenly, I have found someone selling me the non-BDL version of the barrel and the sights for $80 shipped, but since this rifle is special to me, I want to eventually get the BDL barrel. Thanks everyone for the help. I'll keep you posted when I get the gun all put together and maybe you all will see me at some local events soon. Thanks again!!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom