• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A week ago I had never even heard of a model 8 Remington.
    Now I'm waiting for one to be delivered.

Mine is in the .35 Remington flavor, and appears to be around 85% or better.
    According to Wikipedia, the model 8 was the first (commercially successful) semi-auto center-fire rifle produced .
    As a child of John Moses Browning, it performed as one might expect.

Former Texas ranger Frank Hamer used a Remington model 8 in .35 Remington to help end the bloody scourge of Bonnie and Clyde.
    I believe I read that the model 8 was first introduced in 1905 as the Remington Automatic Rifle, and was renamed as the model 8 in 1911.
    There were a couple of different iterations, one being a law enforcement model (Frank Hamer's gun) that had a detachable 15 round magazine.

Mine is NOT the law enforcement model, and features an internal box magazine.
    I only discovered the .35 Remington round a couple of years ago and bought a Marlin 336.
    The first year I had it, I took two doe in rapid succession with some quick lever work.

I was not actively looking for another rifle...but that's how it goes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I wanted the Grice 7600 synth carbine but those rarely pop up for sale on GB and when they do fetch over a grand (pre panic).

So I settled on a beater '63 760 in rifle form.
    It shoots around an inch at 100 w Leverevolution.

Its a turd ;)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A week ago I had never even heard of a model 8 Remington.
    Now I'm waiting for one to be delivered.

Mine is in the .35 Remington flavor, and appears to be around 85% or better.
    According to Wikipedia, the model 8 was the first (commercially successful) semi-auto center-fire rifle produced .
    As a child of John Moses Browning, it performed as one might expect.

Former Texas ranger Frank Hamer used a Remington model 8 in .35 Remington to help end the bloody scourge of Bonnie and Clyde.
    I believe I read that the model 8 was first introduced in 1905 as the Remington Automatic Rifle, and was renamed as the model 8 in 1911.
    There were a couple of different iterations, one being a law enforcement model (Frank Hamer's gun) that had a detachable 15 round magazine.

Mine is NOT the law enforcement model, and features an internal box magazine.
    I only discovered the .35 Remington round a couple of years ago and bought a Marlin 336.
    The first year I had it, I took two doe in rapid succession with some quick lever work.

I was not actively looking for another rifle...but that's how it goes.

John Moses Browning was pure genius.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Great post! Thanks for the memories! I have my Grandfather's Model 8 in my safe right now. The picture below is of him and the bear he killed early one morning in 1944 (I think). I was born in 1940 in the small house in the background. According to my records, the rifle was made in 1936 and was acquired by him in 1938. This was around Greenville, California, a small town (even today).

Attachments

• Grandad and the bear 1944 45 001.jpg
      Grandad and the bear 1944 45 001.jpg
      328.2 KB · Views: 26
    Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Great post! Thanks for the memories! I have my Grandfather's Model 8 in my safe right now. The picture below is of him and the bear he killed early one morning in 1944 (I think). According to my records, the rifle was made in 1936 and was acquired by him in 1938. This was around Greenville, California, a small town (even today).

Man....what great stuff right there!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The Model 8 is one of the few Remingtons that I like, probably due to JMB. I've been casually looking off and on for one in .25 Remington but they seem to command a substantial premium over the .300s and .35s.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I had one with the original Stith take-down mount and a Weaver x4 scope about 35 years ago to shoot cast. The scope offset bothered me (being left dominant eyed) so I reluctantly let it go. The piece was utterly reliable, no failures to feed, easy to make accurate. Going off of memory, Lyman #358315 with H335.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I once had an 8 in Remington .32 rimless automatic. I took it to a gun show to get a tang sight and some mean old man with a stack of cash took the durn thing from me.

My brother still has his 81 Woodsmaster in 300 Savage. I still think that if we had the 8 in 300 Savage during WWI we would have never gone to 5.56. (Yes, I know 300 Savage didn't come out until 1919 and only the 81 was issued in 300, but I can dream can't I?)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Here is a pic of my home made model 8 and 81 take down tool. Get a 1 inch outside diameter nut, drill out the threads to a little oversize to the OD barrel nut measurement and then drill a small diameter hole where you can stick the chuck end of the appropriate sized drill bit into the hole in the barrel nut. The drill bit sticking out makes a good handle to twist off the nut. As you can see in the pic I missed my center punch but it still functions flawlessly.

DSC05766.JPG

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Oh, man! One of my favorite rifles! I’ve had one for quite awhile and have owned several others since then.
    designed to compete with the lever actions of he day, they were available in similar calibers, .25, .30, .32, & .35 Remington. Funny that the only one which didn’t have a lever action correlation, the .35, is the only one left around.
    I got mine severely damaged, with a blown out muzzle. I took it to an excellent machinist Freind and he did all the work to shorten it up to 16”, making it a one of a kind Model 8 Carbine! It’s a load of fun to shoot, I killed a couple deer with it using shortened cases. I mostly just plink with it and for that duty I use cast pistol caliber bullets of around 160 gr and 20.0gr of 2400. Cheap and mild shooting and it’s still got enough zip to hit steel at 200 if I do my part! Mine has an old Lyman Tang sight which helps out a lot.
    I’ll dig up some pictures of it later on. I love to show mine off!

edited to add that I have shot mine with everything from 110 gr pistol bullets up to 250gr rifle bullets meant for 35 Whelan and it has functioned fine with all of them! I picked up a 200 gr Lyman single cavity and did a hollow point modification to it to cast some hunting bullets. Unfortunately I never had a chance to shoot a deer with one, it I’m sure it would have done well!

Shortly after getting my Mod 8 up and running, I picked up a Winchester Model 1907 in .351 WSL. It was really neat to have basically the first two successful autoloading rifles available.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Here is a pic of my home made model 8 and 81 take down tool. Get a 1 inch outside diameter nut, drill out the threads to a little oversize to the OD barrel nut measurement and then drill a small diameter hole where you can stick the chuck end of the appropriate sized drill bit into the hole in the barrel nut. The drill bit sticking out makes a good handle to twist off the nut. As you can see in the pic I missed my center punch but it still functions flawlessly.

View attachment 148861
    Great idea! I always wanted to make a spinner type wrench by cutting and filing flat stock. Seemed like a lot of work for a tool I really didn’t need, but your idea is much simpler and looks like it would work great. If the nut is a bit too snug, you’ve got wrench flats to give it a little crank!

Top Bottom