• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProZack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I've been looking to get a Remmington 870 Express Combo 12ga.
    The wife is afraid that it will be too much for her and the other women folk to shoot and is putting the heat on for a 20ga instead.
    Planning to do some deer hunting with this, any suggestions/comparisons between the two?
    (also this will be a first firearm purchase)

Thanks
    Pz

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    I actually prefer my 870 in 20 ga over my 12. You can shoot more throughout the day and it would be just as good for hunting just about anything you want.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If your wife is going to utilize it too, then go for 20ga.

Might also want to look into one of the "youth" models, as they tend to be a little shorter overall.

Add on a Knox Spec-ops stock (recoil reducing) and you'll have one honey of a shotgun!

-J-

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    If it's not out of the budget, a 20 gauge semi-automatic (1100) would be a good gun for her to shoot. That's what I have for my wife to shoot.

sp3worker

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I actually prefer my 870 in 20 ga over my 12. You can shoot more throughout the day and it would be just as good for hunting just about anything you want.

+1
    I have a 20ga. Youth 870. Great rabbit gun for when you have on a heavy jacket. Perfect for the women I take to shoot clays, I do pretty good with it too.:D

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    I bought the 20 for my wife and she decided after a few months to try the 12. She went back to the 20 after shooting the 12 all afternoon. Now I shoot the 20 too. :)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been looking to get a Remmington 870 Express Combo 12ga.
    The wife is afraid that it will be too much for her and the other women folk to shoot and is putting the heat on for a 20ga instead.
    Planning to do some deer hunting with this, any suggestions/comparisons between the two?
    (also this will be a first firearm purchase)

Thanks
    Pz

Buy the 12 and a Lee Load All.

With factory shells doing equivilent jobs she won't like one if she don't like the other. With reloads in the 12 you can do anything either one is capable of with just he 12.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    This sounds kind of like my dilemma with golf and my wife. She decided she wanted to play so I built her some clubs. She was all excited the first 4 times and hasn't touched them since.

Now I have a set of womens clubs that take up space in my garage and I am out the money.

I don't know your wife, maybe she is a avid hunter and shooter. Just something to think about. Your the one who will end up shooting this gun year after year, 100X more than she will.

I am huge with buyers remorse myself. I always want something and settle for something cheaper as thats how I was raised. Then it fails to live up to my expectations and I wished I would have got what I wanted.

If you have no desire for a 12 gauge, go with the 20. But maybe you go with the 12 now and some reduced recoil loads to let her see if she even enjoys it. If she does try and pick up a used 20 gauge down the road for her.

Gonna be way more 12 gauge around if we ever do see a SHTF scenarios, for protection and to put meat on the table.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    the sabot round makes the two equal for deer hunting, with equal accuracy. for shooting wings or clays the 20 will be easier to shoot all day. winchester AA rounds come in light loads or magnums for heavy duty. daryll

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The 20g is a flatter shooting slug and is better for deer hunting. Easier to predict drop as there isnt much. But the best solution is.... buy 1 or each!!! :)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Nothing handles like the 20 Youth gun. If she is small the issue is more about fit then gauge. There was a Remington 12 called ther Jr. made in 2008. I have only ever seen it at Gander Mt. but it was a shorter, lighter 12. There youth modesl in 12 as well.

Rarely does anyone say the gun is too short but often people say it is too long, keep that in mind regardless of gauge you buy. When hunting you carry the gun a lot and shoot a little. Like any platform 1 is none and 2 is one but you won't regret getting a light weight 12 or 20 to start with.

My daughter has shot 12 but she prefers my Beretta in 20 or a Benelli in 12. My GF has shot many 12's but she prefers semiauto as well. Just a trend I see in my family.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom