• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    My problem is that I am really indecisive. I tend to absorb anything like a sponge and when I put my mind to it and pay attention and now I just gotta decide what exactly I am willing to spend. I saw a good deal on a progressive Dillon in the classifieds here and if I can find dies inexpensively I will likely be getting it. I may also get a single stage for laughs and giggles. It will also be nice to test out a bunch of different SD loads rather than having to buy ridiculously expensive ammo just to test if it will feed/cycle properly.

x10 - I do plan on getting into some type of competitive shooting but I am still a really mediocre shot. I don't know if I'd be going to competitions like you mentioned but I will need the practice so I will be reloading as much as I can.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Rather miraculously, one of the guys I work with has a bunch of left over 45 ACP brass, large pistol primers, and a bunch of 230 and 185 grain Gold Dots that he has no use for as he only shoots 9MM. Going to be getting those a little later today on the cheap hopefully.

On a side note, he also has an outrageous number of dies (at least 20 different rifle calibers, not as many in pistol calibers) and a bunch of brass in equally as wide a variety of calibers - and a crap ton of .357 SIG. I am gonna go talk to him shortly and figure out exactly what he is looking to get out of them and I will be posting them in the classifieds in the next couple days. Probably on Sunday as I have to run up to Tipton to drop my 1911 off to have a bit of gunsmithing work done and then down to Greenwood to learn the ropes on reloading.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Allow me to pile on.
    I started with a Lee single stage, went to a Dillon 550 and never looked back. I don't think a single stage has any advantage over a progressive. You still can STOP and check everything before advancing the cases.
    Dillon's warranty can't be beat. I wore mine and sent it back to be overhauled just for the cost of shipping!
    IMO the 550 has the best balance of features vs. cost.
    The only down side to a Dillon is that the lock rings don't LOCK on the die (Redfield has a set screw, Lee uses a rubber ring to keep the ring from slipping) but you can use non-Dillon dies, unless you have their "square deal" that uses non-standard dies.
    In addition to getting a reloading manual, you can SUPPLEMENT that with online info directly from the manufacturers--ie get winchester's data for using winchester's powder.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Rather miraculously, one of the guys I work with has a bunch of left over 45 ACP brass, large pistol primers, and a bunch of 230 and 185 grain Gold Dots that he has no use for as he only shoots 9MM. Going to be getting those a little later today on the cheap hopefully.

On a side note, he also has an outrageous number of dies (at least 20 different rifle calibers, not as many in pistol calibers) and a bunch of brass in equally as wide a variety of calibers - and a crap ton of .357 SIG. I am gonna go talk to him shortly and figure out exactly what he is looking to get out of them and I will be posting them in the classifieds in the next couple days. Probably on Sunday as I have to run up to Tipton to drop my 1911 off to have a bit of gunsmithing work done and then down to Greenwood to learn the ropes on reloading.

You've been over to Dave's haven't you:):

Top Bottom