• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Starting to reload 9mm. I've reloaded 40 S&W, and .223 but ran into a couple of questions I would like to know 100%.

First, I have a 9MM seating / crimp die. Came with Two seat pins, one marked RN and the other marked TMJ.
    Now I'm using 124gr FMJ RN bullets.. Which I see as both RN and TMJ? Now the TMJ seems to actually fit better when I place a bullet up against it....
    So does that mean the bullets I am going to load I should use the TMJ seater over the RN seater?

Second question: Anyone have a load they use for 9mm - titegroup - 124 gr FMJ bullets? I have used the Hodgdon website, the speer book and the Lyman book and all three dont seem to jive and theres enough diff that I'm not sure which to try.

So what gr amount do you use of titegroup - and what is your COL.
    Thanks for the help

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Hi always start with a low load and work up to near max
    at 1st only load 10-15 rounds with each powder charge and see how they work out of your firearm and how accurate each load is'
    I have also noticed a wide discrepancy between the different reloading manuals.
    Go to the Hodgdon reloading data center site they have a listing for all the powders they manufacture with the different weight bullets .I think Lots of good information.It is a site to make a favorite on your browser .
    I use winchester 231 -4.1 grains under a 125grain R.N.Hard cast lead bullet.
    I think you could use either seating pins. Load 1 and see how the bullet looks , If it has any deformations on the nose

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the seater that fits best is what you should use.... tmj stands for true metal jacket, which is odd because typically those have the same countours as a FMJ.... mine all come with a round nose and a flat nose stem.... use what fits best, you will be adjusting your die according anyway... just dont change midway through without readjusting your die....

its not uncommon for differant data to not jive.... write down the three MIN's and the three MAX's and start somewhere towards the bottom and work up.... 10 rounds add .2 grains.... 10 rounds add .2 grains.... mark them individually and take them to a range and shoot each batch of ten until you get to where you want... if you start to see pressure signs take the higher loads home, and pull the bullet....
    select the group of 10 that gave YOU the best feel and accuracy and cycled the gun 100 percent...

cant help you on titegroup... i use HP-38

IGW

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I just average the low and the high and go with that data. I don't max the reloads. After all, I just use them for plinking. For defense, I use factory loads. Sometime, I would try my best to duplicate the same velocity of the factory loads.

davej48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    TN
    I have used 4.0gr titegroup under the 124 gr fmj bullets and have good accuracy and functioning in my 9mms.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I hate to threadjack, but what are typical pressure signs?

to sharp of recoil, split case necks, bulging cases, cases that are harder than normal to extract, cratered pockets on the primer where they round came back to hard against the firing pin, flattened primers, large extractor/ejector marks on the rim of the casing, and inconsistant ejection.

IME of all those, the fist signs you will see will be the overkill on recoil, and the cratered primer pockets...

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I hate to threadjack, but what are typical pressure signs?

If you're working up slowly, the first pressure signs most people see are in the primers (esp in 9x19 b/c they use small pistol primers, which tend to be softer than others like small rifle or small pistol magnum).

I understand the statement about felt recoil, but I think that is entirely too subjective and subject to too many variables for it to be a reliable indicator of over pressured rounds, espcially in the hands of an inexperienced reloader. I understand, but disagree.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have used 4.0gr titegroup under the 124 gr fmj bullets and have good accuracy and functioning in my 9mms.

Can you, and anyone else while we're at it, please also post your COL measurement and bullet brand? Small differences in COL or bullet type/brand can have significant effects on case pressure and velocity.

My $0.02

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom