• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raptor0443

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Oct 19, 2013
    Fishers
    Super noob here. Looking to start reloading some .40 ammo. What is a good progressive reloader? And what all will I need. I use to reload 12 gauge back when I shot trap. So I kinda have an idea of what to do. Just looking for any help I can get.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm not sure I'd jump to progressive as an intro to loading metallic cartridges. Especially the 40. Honestly, I started as a noob on 40 but I started on a lee classic turret. I still use it, and versatility wise, it's unbeatable. Slow enough to teach good reloading practices, yet faster than a single stage. Your gonna get lots more opinions. Grab your popcorn.

As far as a list of what you need:

Press kit
    Dies
    Tumbler
    Micrometer
    Loading manuals
    Digital Scale
    Guarantee I'm forgetting lots. Need and want or use are 2 different things.
    Pretty sure there's a sticky up top in here regarding getting started reloading. I bet somebody can figure out how to link it for me.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I would agree with the turret press. Some will say single stage but I prefer a turret for pistol reloading. I would definitely check out the sticky about getting started. It is really helpful. I reload .40 on an rcbs turret press and really like it. I either use Berrys plated bullets or xtreme plated bullets. Will probably stay with xtreme when the berrys are gone because they're cheaper.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you want a good progressive, Dillon 550b. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Get your Dillon set up and just reload ammo, good quality ammo, for the rest of your life.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Lee makes a cheaper progressive, the Loadmaster. Be warned though. when it works, it works well enough. I watched an engineer on an old steam engine once, he almost never sat still. He was always adjusting something, turning a knob here, tapping a sight glass there. This is kind of what running the Loadmaster is like once parts start to wear. I still use it a lot, I guess I like the challenge. I don't own one, but by all accounts the Dillon is worth the money.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If you want a good progressive, Dillon 550b. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Get your Dillon set up and just reload ammo, good quality ammo, for the rest of your life.

This! Progressive press wise for a single caliber you won't find anything better for the money. The Lee progressive will get the job done, but the Dillon will get it done with less hassle if you have the money to spend.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Against what many will advise, I started with a progressive. I ran a Lee Pro 1000 for 3 years and loaded about 25k 9mm on it. It worked well enough, but there were a few hiccups and things that needed adjusting every now and again. I now run a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles. I'd love to have started on the 650, but it just wasn't financially possible at the time.

Something to note, you'll want something like the lee pass-through "bulge buster" dies for .40 brass. With range brass (and brass from your own G23), you'll learn all about "Glock bulge".

Last edited:

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    If you WANT a progressive press, get one with at least five die stations: resize, expand/flare/charge, Lock-Out die, seat, crimp.
    Do not get a manual indexing press unless you NEED to be in control of every step.
    Recommend start with an inexpensive single-stage press, learn what you are doing, and spend time evaluating what YOU need and not what others like.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I started on a Dillon 550b reloading 9mm, 45acp, and .223 without any significant problems. If you start with a progressive, just take your time and don't let yourself get distracted.

Top Bottom